Topic Options
#3201526 - 03/23/13 12:52 PM Re: Soil Samples [Re: Bone Collector]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
 Originally Posted By: smstone22
 Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
Do not use CO-OP ( I think they used to use L&N lab or something like that) CO-OP is in the business to sell fertilizer.

Contact your County Extension office for UT Extension (looks like your in Wilson Co). Take mulitple samples from the same field and 3-6" deep and put it in a bucket. Go to the UT office and tell them what you want to plant and they will fill the form out for you or help you do so. It shouldnt cost more than $10 max (dont quote me on that). They will send it to Nashville and you will have an unbiased test done. Then you can ask the Extension Agent to help explain what the results say.

YEP!

Doesn't Co-OP send it to UT? at least that is what my soil sample said.

They might now, I dont know. The one I ran through them several years ago wasnt through UT. I just have a bias against my local Co-Op. Very uneducated workers there that know next to nothing about anything except cattle. There wasnt a Ag degree in the building until very recently. Example: You can say you need a Zero or No Nitrogen fertilizer and they just look at you like you have an appendage coming out of your forehead, and say well we have some triple 10 LOL Ask one at my local store to interpret a soil sample and you'll get a good laugh out of it because they wont have a clue.

#3202860 - 03/24/13 08:50 PM Re: Soil Samples [Re: smstone22]
jmb4wd
8 Point

Loc: Christiana, TN

I've gone to using Biologic for all mine. You send the sample in a ziploc bag , through the mail and about 5 days later you get an email sent to your box.

It is nice because they break it down to plots in acre. And in square feet. After allmost plots around here can be measured in sq ft.

It also gives the recommendation in the exact units needed Luke you were buying bulk from coop, and the also send how much to use if you are using a commercial bagged blend premade like triple 13.

Food Plot Establishment and Maintenance

Justin

#3202870 - 03/24/13 08:55 PM Re: Soil Samples [Re: jmb4wd]
jmb4wd
8 Point

Loc: Christiana, TN

Oh, its the same lab a lot of coops use in memphis, A&L

Food Plot Establishment and Maintenance

Justin

#3202902 - 03/24/13 09:40 PM Re: Soil Samples [Re: jmb4wd]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

Ive used A & L for a few years, been well pleased with the reports and the time . You can air dry your wet soil ( bring it into the house ) but dont put it in the oven. They will do two different crops ie beans/corn in the same plot I did either 3 or 4 plots recently and it was $32 total.simple results in color emailed back to me in about 4-5 days.
#3203114 - 03/25/13 08:38 AM Re: Soil Samples [Re: Bone Collector]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Do not use CO-OP ( I think they used to use L&N lab or something like that) CO-OP is in the business to sell fertilizer.

Contact your County Extension office for UT Extension (looks like your in Wilson Co). Take mulitple samples from the same field and 3-6" deep and put it in a bucket. Go to the UT office and tell them what you want to plant and they will fill the form out for you or help you do so. It shouldnt cost more than $10 max (dont quote me on that). They will send it to Nashville and you will have an unbiased test done. Then you can ask the Extension Agent to help explain what the results say.

YEP!

Since CO-OP's are managed independently some may use UT. When I worked for UT I remember getting result from UT and A&L labs on the same soil that producers sent multiple samples off, lets just say they were a little different in some instances.

I am sure any independent lab will give you good results, but you might be persuaded by someone else to buy more than you really need. Basically, if you do not know how to read a soil sample result, take it to your Extension Agent or someone who does not have any bias in the process so you can get your moneys worth.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3203174 - 03/25/13 09:53 AM Re: Soil Samples [Re: smstone22]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

content Online

YEP!

They might now, I dont know. The one I ran through them several years ago wasnt through UT. I just have a bias against my local Co-Op. Very uneducated workers there that know next to nothing about anything except cattle. There wasnt a Ag degree in the building until very recently. Example: You can say you need a Zero or No Nitrogen fertilizer and they just look at you like you have an appendage coming out of your forehead, and say well we have some triple 10 LOL Ask one at my local store to interpret a soil sample and you'll get a good laugh out of it because they wont have a clue.

the ones around here (Murfreesboro) use UT. I took the test into the Franklin store and the guy was clueless, but the guy that I had worked with on other food plot issues, came in and was able to understand it completely. I think he is a manager.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3203200 - 03/25/13 10:27 AM Re: Soil Samples [Re: smstone22]
Bucket
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville, TN

Man, you got that right. I quickly learned that habitat work for deer seemed ridiculous to those guys. Putnam Farm supply for me.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
150 registered (Tim Perkins, Mossy, feathersandfur2214, duckriver, Lincoln Co Archer, Gravey, 17 invisible) and 198 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91457 Topics
1069182 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.