Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3199781 - 03/21/13 06:03 PM Re: Outside Magazine: Hunting's Big Comeback [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: Poser
... than what the more traditional companies have taken which has been "wear our brand of cheaply made camo and kill bigger animals."

Wait! Does this mean Bone Collector is not a quality brand? \:D

#3200085 - 03/21/13 10:07 PM Re: Outside Magazine: Hunting's Big Comeback [Re: WMAn]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Also, look at Poser. He made the transition from mountain climber to hunter, and he's not all that bad. ;\)

Although he was far more experienced than I, we both have a similar history. I earned my Eagle Scout rank a week after I turned 18 years old, and have logged many miles backpacking and doing some light climbing. I wasn't brought up in a hunting household, and I've been trying to fight my way into it for 13 years. Every day I hit the woods is a new learning experience, and I'm trying to play catch-up so that TAFKAP Jr. and Lil' P-nut (Due in Oct.) understand the outdoors as early as possible.

So you may call me an outsider, perhaps, but the hunting community doesn't need $1000 camo or snooty Food Network "localvores" to recruit new blood. I'd argue quite the opposite. That crowd is the type that will spend $2,000, get cold one day, and hang it up in favor of the next fad down the line.

#3200206 - 03/22/13 01:41 AM Re: Outside Magazine: Hunting's Big Comeback [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: WMAn
Also, look at Poser. He made the transition from mountain climber to hunter, and he's not all that bad. ;\)

Although he was far more experienced than I, we both have a similar history. I earned my Eagle Scout rank a week after I turned 18 years old, and have logged many miles backpacking and doing some light climbing. I wasn't brought up in a hunting household, and I've been trying to fight my way into it for 13 years. Every day I hit the woods is a new learning experience, and I'm trying to play catch-up so that TAFKAP Jr. and Lil' P-nut (Due in Oct.) understand the outdoors as early as possible.

So you may call me an outsider, perhaps, but the hunting community doesn't need $1000 camo or snooty Food Network "localvores" to recruit new blood. I'd argue quite the opposite. That crowd is the type that will spend $2,000, get cold one day, and hang it up in favor of the next fad down the line.

That's entirely plausible, but for everyone of those, you have some kid who had a traumatizing experience by their dad ramming hunting down their throat and have no interest in hunting as an adult. Usually, when a person comes to hunting as an adult, they will stick with it. I would even venture to guess that the newbie adult hunter has a much higher retention rate than the child raised around hunting.

I literally have well over 10 friends whom I know well from years past with a gap missing in there, and have reconnected with on FB in recent years. None of them were hunters when I knew them before (high school, college) etc and now they are all hard core, dedicated hunters. How do you explain that? You can't say that this is bad for hunting?
Newbie adult hunters seem to be genuinely concerned with ethics, legality and fair chase while no shortage of lifelong, reared from birth hunters are raised as poachers, trespassers, outlaws, etc. Its far from the majority, but every single member of TNDeer knows of at least one family, if not multiple families, who raise their kids in such practices. Am I wrong?

For an adult to get into hunting, especially if you know no one who hunts, it is no easy task. You have to learn a myriad of game laws, learn the ropes of hunting etiquette, plug ing and connect with other hunters. This can literally take years and it is a intimidating undertaking, Trust me, I've done it. If a person makes it through the initial learning curve, they will more than likely be a lifelong hunter.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3200207 - 03/22/13 02:54 AM Re: Outside Magazine: Hunting's Big Comeback [Re: TAFKAP]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Basically, they're douching-down the hunting products industry to make a killing selling $1,000 camo jackets. They'll sponsor Duck Dynasty in the near future, and poor rednecks everywhere will spend money they don't have to dress like Uncle Sid.

That happened about 2 decades ago. It started about the time realtree camo came out. The hunting community is full of product junkies. Most of which you don't need to sit in a fully enclosed box on the edge of a greenfield.

#3200223 - 03/22/13 04:15 AM Re: Outside Magazine: Hunting's Big Comeback [Re: BamaProud]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

T-bone is SCREWED!

Tiffany will be reduced to a middle aged cheerleader.

Hunting as we know it may not recover.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (caretaker, in the dog house!, griz01, Kevin, Still-n-Quiet, muddyboots, 12 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89380 Topics
1045415 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.