Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 23 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#3199559 - 03/21/13 02:13 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: CountryBoy053]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: CountryBoy053
And when my boy is born in the next few weeks and he gets older, if she comes at him, or acts like it, I will not hesitate to kill her dead.

As a father, your comment scares me to death. I hope you never let your son out of sight in your own yard and if you're out there with him I hope you have something at the ready to kill that dog should you need to.

#3199561 - 03/21/13 02:13 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: de novo]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

Originally Posted By: de novo
I grew up with a pit bull in the 1980's before the hysteria. It's probably in my top 3 favorite pets of all time. A truly awesome dog; however, I wouldn't consider bringing one into my own house around my kids today.

Still depends on the breeders.
A lot of dog breeders in general these days breed the dogs and leave them in kennels.
Every one of our litters which is only normally 1 maybe 2 a year, the female is inside while she has the pups and stays inside when she nurses the pups.
All of out dogs always come in the house at night and anytime were home they are in the house with us.
We take them to the dog park, Home Depot, lowes, pet stores and more to keep them socialized.

#3199563 - 03/21/13 02:15 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: BlountArrow]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: CountryBoy053
And when my boy is born in the next few weeks and he gets older, if she comes at him, or acts like it, I will not hesitate to kill her dead.

As a father, your comment scares me to death. I hope you never let your son out of sight in your own yard and if you're out there with him I hope you have something at the ready to kill that dog should you need to.

Most of the time a dog attacks is because someone kits it, kicks it, yells at it, or runs from it.
If you raise your kids not be friendly with dogs they will great.
We've had anywhere from 1 month old to 12 year old kids play with our pits and they just have a blast.

#3199568 - 03/21/13 02:19 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Most of the time isn't good enough...

#3199572 - 03/21/13 02:23 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: randy]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Originally Posted By: randy
Does the average Joe got out and do blood tests, dna tests, research the blood line before they get one? Nope.
Have I ever owned one? no.
Would I own one? no.
Have I been around them? yes.
Were the friendly? no.
If I saw one in my yard that made any agressive move towards me, my wife or children it would be over for him.

ACUTALLY a lot of people that get dogs from resuces and pounds do have blood tests. If you get a full bred you know what your getting. Just like ANY other breed if they are raised wrong yes they can be aggressive. Even Great Danes can be aggressive and they are known to be couch potatoes.
Were you around a positive 100% known pitbull most likely not.
If I had any dog that came into my yard that looked aggressive I would shoot it. Doesn't matter if it was a pit or not that's a given.
Pitbulls don't just have some random burts of aggression like people think. They are not mentally unstable.
Our first pit we had was 21" tall with a 22" head and weight 90+ lbs. My mom came over and was terrified by him. I finally got her to go in our back yard by herself and she fell in love with him. NOW she isn't afraid of any of our pits nor my friends pits when they come over. She listened to all of the biased people about pits. Once she seen our dogs WITHOUT me there she fell in love with all of our dogs.
The neighborhood kids comes and jumps our fence to play with our dogs almost everyday and sometimes we have 8 or more pits in the back yard at one time. (Not all 8 are mine, my friends bring their pits too) All of the neighborhood kids have a blast playing with our dogs. Not single kid has gotten bitten nor even one shown their teeth.
You are misinformed about pits and it's sad you judge them so harshly but know very little about them.

#3199573 - 03/21/13 02:25 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: BlountArrow]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Note I said dog attacks. NOT pitbull attacks.

Does anybody on here also know that dogs used as bait for fighting dogs MOST of the time is not pits either????
People will get free dogs off craigslist and off the street and use them for bait. NOT just pits.

#3199586 - 03/21/13 02:35 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
randy
6 Point

Loc: gibson

Originally Posted By: 89cherokeelimited

Does anybody on here also know that dogs used as bait for fighting dogs MOST of the time is not pits either????
People will get free dogs off craigslist and off the street and use them for bait. NOT just pits.
Of course. They want bait that wont bite back.
But seriously, I worked with a guy that raised pits for fighting. He would never be around more than one at a time. And he always had a pistol with him, and his partner. But yes your dogs do look gentle, And I hope they continue to be that way.

#3199617 - 03/21/13 02:58 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: randy]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Originally Posted By: randy
 Originally Posted By: 89cherokeelimited

Of course. They want bait that wont bite back.
But seriously, I worked with a guy that raised pits for fighting. He would never be around more than one at a time. And he always had a pistol with him, and his partner. But yes your dogs do look gentle, And I hope they continue to be that way.

If you raise a dog to fight of course they will be mean!
I would carry my gun with fighting dogs. I would rather shoot the person training their dogs to fight though.
I wouldn't be around a fighting dog at all. Of any breed.
People fight more then Pits though.
My friend that got us into pits they had numerous pits live to be 12-15 years old and never showed their teeth or growled at strangers.
Being around fighting dogs is a WHOLE different world then being around family dogs.
3 years old is our oldest pit and if she isn't laying with us she's sun bathing on our walk way watching people and cars go by.
The only reason his pits are mean is because he trains them to be. Hopefully he goes to jail or gets attacked by his own dogs so he finally gets some sense knocked into him.
You put a fighting dog around one of my pits they will lay down and give up. They get so upset when I even have to tell them more then once to lay down because they hate getting in trouble let alone fighting. They play around with each other and teeth each other they even do it to me when we play around but even when they put their mouth on my arm it's how dogs play.

#3199620 - 03/21/13 02:59 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: ]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Had the American Pitbull Terrier breed for most of my life. Have them at the present time. Unfortunately the "experts" on the breed are idiots and dont have a clue. The same "experts" never owned one as a pet. My Layla was 44lbs of unconditional love, for 13yrs. She was part of my sons life for his first 5 yrs and she was protective of him and her home. Dog attack headlines dont sale as many papers as "pitbull" attacks do. Any breed and any animal can attack at anytime. Im an advocate for the APBT and most cases its the owners fault when things such as an attack happens. Pitbulls are like guns in a sense, better left out of the hands of idiots! IMO

PS. Hate you was put in the situation of an aggressive animal no matter the species. You had all rights to protect yourself.

#3199623 - 03/21/13 03:03 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: randy]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

After watching a pit completely take the head of a blue tick completely off in a pen, I have no care to own one or be around one. And before you ask, yes this was a pit... A registered one that was a family dog that was only in a pen due to being in heat. She never showed any aggression towards man or dog but snapped. She was not attacked by the blue tick... And after was human aggressive to the point she was put down. She was in the pen with the blue tick only minutes before killing it.

Having owned and trained several different breeds in my life I refuse to work with any bulldogs beside english and boxer. It's not worth the risk to me.

I've been with the county on several trips to pick up dogs and one thing I've learned about the breed is don't turn your back in them... Them being bulldog breeds... Be it pit or what ever else they may mix up with them. Luckily I haven't been bitten but I've come close on several trips. I've seen them turn on the owner when we went to pick them up since if possible we let the owner control the dog and put them in the box. And no, I was not a dog catcher. I worked with some of the dogs from the sheriffs office and was asked on occasion to assist in handling and transport.

I truly hope you or your family don't end up on the short end of the stick with the breed. Having a German Shepherd I understand the looks you get from some people and the people who fear the breed and not the dog. Even with that said, I do not allow children to be alone with my dog. There is too much unknown with any dog around strange people or kids. He has never bit anyone... And is the smartest dog I have ever trained. There is still the chance of it and I realize that. I see good people snap all the time... I don't want to see him snap when children are involved.

Page 6 of 23 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (laserman, Bulldog25, 88Mic, cooper3, trevor2010, robinhedd) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.