In................
Toyota
Apple

#3202564 - 03/24/13 03:17 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: beachguy]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I spent a little over a year around 3 Pits on a daily basis. I was bitten on the wrist once without any provocation or warning. Just minding my own business and it bit me. thankfully it didn't lock down.

Had to super glue bite gashes multiple times on two of them because they would fight for no reason. Sweet disposition one moment and growling and showing teeth the next. The owner kept telling how the "dogs, just love you so much".

I have no use for the breed.

#3202568 - 03/24/13 03:22 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: beachguy]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

spin it how you want folks but I'm a firm believer in stats, trends and facts. it is what it is. a pit will enter my yard once if I can get to my rifle.
Toyota
Apple

#3202997 - 03/25/13 04:10 AM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: fishboy1]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: fishboy1

Sure they CAN be sweet wonderful dogs, but what unique qualities do they possess that can't be found in other dogs?

Very good question. Persistence maybe? ;\)

#3203392 - 03/25/13 01:25 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
Food Plot 101
8 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,TN USA

Where's Psycho when you need him? LOL!
#3203473 - 03/25/13 03:27 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: Food Plot 101]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Question: Why are those on this site so quick to blame the liberal media about falsehoods when it comes to ignorance based on guns and hunting, but let someone bring up pitbulls, and everyone believes everything they hear????

As an ex-animal control officer, I have been around more pit bulls than most will ever see. Regardless of the facts I tell you from EVERYDAY dealings, most on here won't believe me, because there minds are already made up. With pits, I've had some bad run-ins with'em, but I had more good encounters than bad. That can be said for dam near about every breed of dog I ever dealt with. From great danes to pomeranians.
Here are some observations that I encountered on a dailey basis:
1. The media calls most dogs involved in dog bites a "pit bull". The vast majority were not. YOU HAVE TO GET THE FACTS WHEN IT INVOLVES THE MEDIA AND DOGBITES because I can assure you, most of the time, the media is wrong.
2. Yes, I investigated dog bites from pits, but they were not the majority. Chows and sharpei's and Cane Corso's (italian mastiffs) were the most common dogs that I investigated that involved serious or "life threatening" attacks. I have no use either of those breeds from what I expereinced on a DAILY basis. I saw maulings that I wish I'd never saw. Those images are not easily forgotten.
3. Pits used for dog fighting are not human aggessive. They are useless to a handler if they are human aggressive.
4. The smaller the pit, usually the "gamier" the dog. The small ones are the ones with the strongest fighting bloodlines. The "blue" pits or silver colored pit bulls will usally be the least aggressive. Why? Because that color is bred by breeders that are strictly breeding for show and conformation and AKC type dog shows. As with many breeds, the "akc showring" breedings have eliminated a lot of the traits that the dog was originally bred for. Thats why you hardly ever see an aggressive "blue dog".

I do not own pits, nor do I ever see myself owning one. But the same can be said for about anyother type unless their retrievers or small house dogs. I find it hilarious that most will badmouth the media on guns and hunting, but basically take them for the gospel when it comes to dogs. We hear what we want to hear.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3203484 - 03/25/13 03:38 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: rukiddin?]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Blackbelt, to answer your question. The times I did deal with aggressive pit bulls, only one time did a pit cross the "point of no return". Most would run and back themselves into a corner and bark and growl and never have any intentions of biting. They were just scared. I would on occasion have pits, do exactly what you described but would never fully commit. Now keep in mind, my goal was catching the dog. Most would charge off the porch, and once they saw I was not backing down, they would run get on the porch. In no way am I telling you that is the case all the time. And I was trained specifically how to handle those situations, so please don't assume every pit, or any dog will do that.
I could read a pit and tell you what it was gonna do before I ever got out of the truck. You see enough of'em, and there one of the easiest dogs to read. That was always my problem with rotties. You never knew if they were gonna charge or come running up wanting to be petted. Chows and sharpei's, it was "game on" every time. I hated those dam dogs.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3203537 - 03/25/13 04:31 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: rukiddin?]
dr
10 Point

Loc: USA

You're entitled to your own opinion, but it doesn't change mine. My impression is that a number of pit bull owners have them because they think it's macho to own a bad a$$ dog, are dealing drugs, or like to intimidate-impress people. And, some of these dogs are intentionally trained by said individuals to be mean.
I've had dealings with them as well. One tore the head off about a dozen of my neighbors goats in one night. Several weeks later, it nearly killed my dog on my front porch. I've known others that have owned them, and I never trusted any of them. These dogs have the potential to easily maim, or kill, and I don't want them around my family . BTW, I don't get my info from the liberal media. There are plenty of documented attacks, and deaths attributed to these dogs. I don't care for chows, or rotweilers either.

#3203545 - 03/25/13 04:41 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: dr]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

Moose Tracks Ice Cream is awesome. I don't eat sweets anymore, but if I did, it would be Moose Tracks.

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3203547 - 03/25/13 04:41 PM Re: Anybody here have a pitbull? [Re: strutandrut]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

It's still snowing here. I'm suing the weather man.

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 14 of 23 « First<1213141516>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Diesel81, Copes, BAMA BOW MERKER, bassybuck47, Model70Man) and 55 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88993 Topics
1041070 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.245 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.