Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3197252 - 03/19/13 12:27 PM Where to fish....
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Just got my 2013-14 sportsmans license today, got a tub with 70 fresh nightcrawlers, wanting to go fishing, but the river is mud and up several feet so there goes my original plan. Tonight is my only evening off work this week.

Wanted to sit on the bank until after dark and build a camp fire with several lines in the water. But with the current and everything I don't think it will work the way I like.

Well if I figure out where to go and catch anything I will try and post a pic.

...since last deer season

#3197833 - 03/19/13 09:04 PM Re: Where to fish.... [Re: catman529]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

Around here every body of water is high. Even the creeks I go for bream, rock bass, and smallmouths are almost out the banks.

The main river is like chocolate milk, so I'm hoping for a good break in rain for the levels to drop and water to clear again. Going by the forcast, that's not gonna happen.

Hope you caught something though.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3197857 - 03/19/13 09:25 PM Re: Where to fish.... [Re: Outdoor life]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
The river is only about 3 ft high but that still messed up where I originally wanted to fish.

Ended up starting in a tributary creek and caught a few creek chub. Then went down to the creek mouth at the river and caught some "real fish". A bunch of rock bass, few bluegill, a shellcracker, 2 baby largemouth and 1 baby smallmouth, and a 5 lb buffalo. Everything was caught on night crawlers since I got so many of them.

The buffalo... well I have always been wanting to try one to see how they eat. So I got a pair of buffalo fillets in the fridge right now. I cut the red meat out and will cook them a while, then run through the food processor to pulverize the bones, and mix in with some stuff to make some patties and fry them...

#3197862 - 03/19/13 09:30 PM Re: Where to fish.... [Re: catman529]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Nice!!! I would like to know what they taste like, but I don't tend to catch fish like them, carp, or drum if I'm fishing for them. I tend to always catch fish like that by accident.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3197882 - 03/19/13 09:46 PM Re: Where to fish.... [Re: Outdoor life]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
Nice!!! I would like to know what they taste like, but I don't tend to catch fish like them, carp, or drum if I'm fishing for them. I tend to always catch fish like that by accident.
I was hoping a buff might pick up a worm but it's hit or miss with the buffs. Carp are different though, I will cover the water with lines baited with sweet corn and catch em pretty well. Thing with carp is they don't always feed. Some times of day they will just sit there or cruise around with no interest in food at all. You have to figure out when they are feeding and get your baits out there and you should catch em.

Drum on the other hand will bite like bass, pretty easy to catch although I never really target them specifically, I catch em pretty often in the summer while bass and catfishing and they fight good.

#3197944 - 03/20/13 12:35 AM Re: Where to fish.... [Re: catman529]
Outdoor life
6 Point

I've only caught a few buffs in my life (probably could count them on one hand, maybe two). I tend to go out for carp when they are not feeding it seems, cause they will just swim by and around my bait. I do love the fight they put up though. Maybe I just need to target carp more.

Oh I've caught drum while fishing for anything, and a big one is a blast when you're fishing with an ultralight while trout fishing.

#3198149 - 03/20/13 09:23 AM Re: Where to fish.... [Re: Outdoor life]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Ever heard the saying "it aint fishing if you dont get hung"
Well for me it is, "It aint fishing if you don't catch a drum" It doesn't matter what I am fishing for or what im using, I always catch a drum. They eat liver, night crawlers, spinner baits, crankbaits, rooster tails, plastic worms, and everything else.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (SMB44, TNLynn, LA man, TNBowfish, Daniel n, Dirt nap, 12 invisible) and 112 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93226 Topics
1088618 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.116 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.