Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3196011 - 03/18/13 09:57 AM Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://www.wjtv.com/story/21644225/mississippi-hunting-bill-goes-to-governor

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3196016 - 03/18/13 09:59 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I like it....Im sure the eliteist bow hunting crowd will hate it.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3196018 - 03/18/13 10:01 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: cecil30-30]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Bill passes the house:

http://msbusiness.com/blog/2013/03/15/hunting-weapons-legislation-passes-house/

#3196035 - 03/18/13 10:10 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Headed for the Governor's signature and expected to pass: http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2013/03/deer_hunting_weapons_bill_head.html

#3196243 - 03/18/13 02:05 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Im far from being an Eliteist Bowhunter as I hunt every season, but would hate to see TN do the same. I like the different seasons and the challenges that come with each one.
#3196290 - 03/18/13 03:02 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Winchester]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Im far from being an Eliteist Bowhunter as I hunt every season, but would hate to see TN do the same. I like the different seasons and the challenges that come with each one.

x2

#3196305 - 03/18/13 03:21 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: deerhunter10]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

So basically all it would do is allow you to use a 270 during what is not ML season and Bow season would be unchanged. Of course I'm talking TN seasons as if TN were going to do the same which it is not at this time. I would have no problem with that. I'd probably never use my ML again though.

Now if they wanted to allow guns during what is now Bow season, I'd stay at the house until the 1st frost! I'm not sitting in swarms of bugs to deer hunt.

#3196313 - 03/18/13 03:27 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Hunter 257W]
DeerKiller2012
6 Point

Loc: Southern Middle TN

I think I'd like to keep the 3 seasons the way we have it now other than I like to see bow season opened up earlier. Maybe mid sept to sept 1
#3196380 - 03/18/13 04:43 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: deerhunter10]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
x2
x3

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3196497 - 03/18/13 06:46 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Andy S.]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
x2
x3
yep

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3196773 - 03/18/13 10:54 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Football Hunter]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
x2
x3
yep

X4

Μολων λαβε

#3196837 - 03/19/13 06:03 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: in the dog house!]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

I hunt all seasons as well. Would like to have bow "open up again" after gun season closes. Say thru the month of January.

#3196972 - 03/19/13 08:50 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: in the dog house!]
7mmDeathPunch
Spike

Loc: Wilson Co.

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
x2
x3
yep

X4

x5

#3196996 - 03/19/13 09:10 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: 7mmDeathPunch]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

IMO its like the "religion needs it own section" thread.. I wish we had it here.. i'd hunt with my .308 the whole time.. BUT.. if you guys want to go out with a long bow and wooden arrows.. more power to you.. I'm sure not going to look down on you.. there is no telling how many thousands of dollars I have spent on bows,crossbows, arrows,broadheads,scopes,bolts,sabots,muzzle loaders,powder,bullets,primers and the list goes on and on and on.. that I could have spent on other outdoor gear I want but will never get like a electric 4x4 utv.. to be exact.. I wouldnt even mind paying twra and fee to hunt during the normal primitave seasons with my rifle..

#3197047 - 03/19/13 09:48 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: pressfit]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

Applies to private lands only.
#3197586 - 03/19/13 05:13 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Doskil]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I never ever ever thought I would say this but.... I would be against this.

After seeing what a week of gun hunting does to mature bucks in KY I would much rather have what we have now in TN.

As Buckwild would say though... YMMV.

#3197783 - 03/19/13 08:33 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: RUGER]
Orion6
8 Point

Loc: Soddy Daisy,TN

I don't think it matters - set a season limit on bucks per segment; i.e. segment 1 is one month, one buck. Segment 2 one month,one buck and so on. Those who want meat will shoot one and get out of the woods.

It's just like when crossbows were made legal. Tales of endless slaughter, the end of hunting as we know it, deer being killed in drive-by crossbow shootings.

The harvest didn't change, and now very few people care what you hunt with in bow season.

I would be ok with segmented, regulated seasons. And yes, I'd use a rifle the whole time.

#3198144 - 03/20/13 09:17 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: 7mmDeathPunch]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: 7mmDeathPunch
x2
x3
yep

X4

x5

X6, except I would like it to open a little earlier—a chance at a velvet buck would be nice

#3198267 - 03/20/13 11:33 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
 Originally Posted By: 7mmDeathPunch
x2
x3
yep

X4

x5

X6, except I would like it to open a little earlier—a chance at a velvet buck would be nice

I'm with you TNDeerGuy.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3199085 - 03/21/13 08:35 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Bone Collector]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

As this new law is stated in Mississippi, I think it does more harm than good, and will create more division between hunters.

On the other hand, might see it differently if it were an across-the-board change applying to all lands equally, i.e. deer season simply opens and closes on said dates, use whatever weapons you prefer. The big flaw in the Mississippi change is that it doesn't apply to those public lands that are otherwise hunted "same as statewide". Also keep in mind the deer are considered a public, not a private resource, and the average buck roams over thousands of acres, usually not spending all his time on any one person's property.

Not saying I want to see this in TN, as do see merit in having an early archery only season. However, there is also merit in simply have a "deer season", any weapon you prefer.

It would be fine with me if TN's deer season was archery-only from the opening thru October, then any weapon Nov 1st until close. But this should apply equally to private lands and public lands that are hunted "same as statewide".

#3199128 - 03/21/13 09:08 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Rick Dillard
4 Point

Loc: Gluckstadt, MS

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
The big flaw in the Mississippi change is that it doesn't apply to those public lands that are otherwise hunted "same as statewide".

I think that it depends on a hunter's perspective. The restriction to primitive weapons (especially muzzleloader only) to some public lands may actually deter some hunters from going there thereby reducing hunting pressure and improving the quality of the hunt for those willing to abide by the restrictions.

#3199210 - 03/21/13 09:58 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Rick Dillard]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

That's a good point, Rick.

But generally speaking, I see this change as divisive, and overall doing more harm than good to the future of hunting. No reason certain WMA's and public lands can't have "special" regs, but the default should be "same as statewide" being the "same" as the state rules on private lands for hunting a public resource.

Just to throw in another perspective, imagine how divisive if duck decoys were not allowed on public lands, but were allowed on private lands. Ducks are a public resource, and it would be unfair to restrict their hunting differently (generally speaking) on public lands.

Or how about this. Let's say TN did exactly what MS just did, and look at how that would effect the deer hunting at President's Island WMA. President's Island has a private huntable inholding that is not a part of the WMA. It is also bordered nearby by some private huntable lands. What if these private lands were being gun hunted during September & October, instead of our current archery-only season? Would that adversely effect the archery-only hunt on President's Island?

Of course, PI is not one of those "same as statewide" public lands, but consider one such as Natchez Trace, which is relatively long and narrow, with most of it's deer traveling onto adjoining private properties. Those hunting private property adjoining the public lands would have a great advantage being able to hunt the same deer herd with a rifle while the public land hunt was limited to archery only.

#3199259 - 03/21/13 10:38 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Wes,

There actually is a private hunting club on PI that hunts with rifles.

I do see your point, however, about the public land deal. MS has numerous regulations like this regarding public land. On public land, for example, you cannot kill does after rifle season opens. Non residents cannot kill does on public land at all.

In my humble humble opinion, the doe regs for public land are stupid. The state has a estimated deer population of 2 million deer. Give me one reason why there should be doe seasons on public land that don't exist on private land and why non residents are not allowed to kill does unless they own or lease land? Makes no sense.

#3199267 - 03/21/13 10:41 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
Give me one reason why there should be doe seasons on public land that don't exist on private land and why non residents are not allowed to kill does unless they own or lease land? Makes no sense.

Politics.
Politicians get off in making rules that control others. Anything to grow any form of government, rules, and their empowerment. The reality is Mississippi's deer management may have less to do with real deer management and more to do with politicians' wanting to control things.

Mississippi has a great bunch of wildlife professionals, so this is not meant to come across derogatorily towards them. The problem is the politicians that trump the advise of wildlife professionals.

#3199279 - 03/21/13 10:47 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Wes,

I know.
But at least under current law, they don't do it during September & October when the season segment is "archery only" on both TN's public & private lands.

#3199306 - 03/21/13 11:08 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Wes,

I know.
But at least under current law, they don't do it during September & October when the season segment is "archery only" on both TN's public & private lands.

Gotchya.

#3199316 - 03/21/13 11:11 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Give me one reason why there should be doe seasons on public land that don't exist on private land and why non residents are not allowed to kill does unless they own or lease land? Makes no sense.

Politics.
Politicians get off in making rules that control others. Anything to grow any form of government, rules, and their empowerment. The reality is Mississippi's deer management may have less to do with real deer management and more to do with politicians' wanting to control things.

Mississippi has a great bunch of wildlife professionals, so this is not meant to come across derogatorily towards them. The problem is the politicians that trump the advise of wildlife professionals.

Yeah, that's what I've always heard, too. Specifically, the law about non residents is because a MS politician is afraid that Louisiana hunters will kill all of MS's deer.
Most residents MS hunters are not even aware of the non residents regs and surprised when you tell them.

#3199372 - 03/21/13 11:51 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Specifically, the law about non residents is because a MS politician is afraid that Louisiana hunters will kill all of MS's deer.

Actually, this MS politician was afraid of a single coonass named Troy Landry. Truth is, Mr. Landry is perfectly content hunting in LA, but citing him as the reason is as good as any.

#3199417 - 03/21/13 12:36 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Poser]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I do like Wes's idea of archery only until Nov 01, then any type equipment beginning Nov 01 till the end of season.

#3201723 - 03/23/13 04:48 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: TLRanger]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: TLRanger
I do like Wes's idea of archery only until Nov 01, then any type equipment beginning Nov 01 till the end of season.

That would definitely be what I wanted!!

#3201796 - 03/23/13 06:34 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: W.Seay]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

Id vote all weapon before I would xtend bow season

#3201902 - 03/23/13 08:14 PM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: W.Seay]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
 Originally Posted By: TLRanger

That would definitely be what I wanted!!

Of course, this would need to come along with a simple annual 2-buck limit. \:\)

#3202130 - 03/24/13 07:04 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Wes Parrish]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

The weapons seasons have a hidden "agenda" too...firearms or gun seasons often open relatively close to the rut. By opening gun earlier, it seems like the older nocturnal deer will be alerted to the increase in hunting pressure (which is relatively light during archery), making them more wary and harder to hunt.
Who knows, they might kill fewer mature deer.

#3205441 - 03/27/13 11:08 AM Re: Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season [Re: Frank G]
Arkboy
8 Point

Loc: Collierville, Tn

Originally Posted By: Frank G
I hunt all seasons as well. Would like to have bow "open up again" after gun season closes. Say thru the month of January.

Most definitely!!

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (53caddy, H1234, bigbuckhunter13, gun nut, ljhhunt3, jwest0303) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.