Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3193980 - 03/15/13 09:32 PM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Southern Sportsman]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: Southern Sportsman
 Originally Posted By: Coach
Most bucks are right handed (south paws if you will) ...

South Paws are lefties.

Yeah, I know...the rest of the post was BS too \:D

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3194082 - 03/15/13 11:18 PM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Coach]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

Lol. I gotcha. I knew the rest of it was tongue in cheek, but sometimes i miss the obvious.

As for the original question, i have never been much of a shed hunter, but have picked up a few turkey hunting over the years, and the few that i still have are all rights. This right antler phenomenon is weird to me.

#3194227 - 03/16/13 08:11 AM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Southern Sportsman]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

I watched Michigan Out of Doors Thursday evening because they had a segment on shed hunting with dogs....and how to train a dog to hunt sheds. Although it was interesting they never said a word about the right antler phenomenon. I've never hunted sheds either...I have enough antlers in the shed now!

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3194922 - 03/17/13 05:32 AM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Coach]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

While we're on the subject of antler shedding science, why do some bucks hold their antlers so much longer than others? Is there any relationship between a bucks health and when he sheds his antlers?

I got pictures of 3 bucks this week with both antlers intact - which is nothing uncommon for my farm.

#3194940 - 03/17/13 06:56 AM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Hunter 257W]
The_Utility_Dude
8 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
While we're on the subject of antler shedding science, why do some bucks hold their antlers so much longer than others? Is there any relationship between a bucks health and when he sheds his antlers?

I got pictures of 3 bucks this week with both antlers intact - which is nothing uncommon for my farm.

If my memory serves me, I think I remember reading that is an indication of excellent herd health. A buck that's not rut stressed nor nutrionally stressed will hold his antlers until time to start growing a new set.

Can't remember if I saw that on tndeer or if I had that in my simbrial anatomy 101 class back in college. ;\)

#3194985 - 03/17/13 07:48 AM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: The_Utility_Dude]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: The_Utility_Dude

If my memory serves me, I think I remember reading that is an indication of excellent herd health. A buck that's not rut stressed nor nutrionally stressed will hold his antlers until time to start growing a new set.

Can't remember if I saw that on tndeer or if I had that in my simbrial anatomy 101 class back in college. ;\)

That is what I was thinking just based on intuition. Makes sense at least since antlers are a non-essential body part and only grow to their potential when a bucks health is at it's optimum, it would seem reasonable that they would hold them longer if their health were very good. I must have some healthy bucks then.

I have to admit, that simbrial brain region stuff sounded real good too. \:\)

#3195927 - 03/18/13 09:03 AM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: The_Utility_Dude]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: The_Utility_Dude

Correct. How long the majority of bucks hold their antlers is an excellent indicator of herd health. Highly rut/nutritionally stressed bucks will drop their antlers early in winter. Healthy, unstressed bucks will hold their antlers until just before the new set begins to grow in mid-spring.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3198505 - 03/20/13 04:10 PM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Healthy, unstressed bucks will hold their antlers until just before the new set begins to grow in mid-spring.

I believe this is much of the reason we fail to find many fresh sheds.

1) We're out looking when most bucks haven't yet shed their antlers;

2) When they shed in mid-to-late March (or later) the fast-growing Spring green-up can quickly hide any sheds.

So far this year, I've amazed myself with how many old sheds I've found in 2013 that were shed in 2012 ---- looking in the same places I so diligently soured in March of last year. I believe many of these were shed last year after I stopped looking, while others were just quickly obscured by the fresh plant growth.

If you can get out during the month of February, it may very well be the best month to find LAST year's sheds, many of which are shed in thick cover where they are near impossible to see when shed, but become most visible at the last possible moment before Spring green-up begins.

#3198525 - 03/20/13 04:27 PM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Old sheds are also much easier to spot due to being sun bleached. I've only found one fresh shed and my buddy has never found one. We don't really look that much but enough you'd think we would find more fresh ones.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3198884 - 03/20/13 10:24 PM Re: BSK buck shedding question [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BSK
Healthy, unstressed bucks will hold their antlers until just before the new set begins to grow in mid-spring.

I believe this is much of the reason we fail to find many fresh sheds.

1) We're out looking when most bucks haven't yet shed their antlers;

2) When they shed in mid-to-late March (or later) the fast-growing Spring green-up can quickly hide any sheds.

So far this year, I've amazed myself with how many old sheds I've found in 2013 that were shed in 2012 ---- looking in the same places I so diligently soured in March of last year. I believe many of these were shed last year after I stopped looking, while others were just quickly obscured by the fresh plant growth.

If you can get out during the month of February, it may very well be the best month to find LAST year's sheds, many of which are shed in thick cover where they are near impossible to see when shed, but become most visible at the last possible moment before Spring green-up begins.
this is exactly my observations this year. Lots of old sheds, the occasional fresh one, figure the bucks are still holding. Then when they drop it's greened up and shed hunting becomes tough, and at that point I am looking for something other than sheds.... morels

...since last deer season

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (David Sapp, Great White Stalker, Zulu, OldFart, JDP, catman529, 1 invisible) and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93343 Topics
1089907 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.