Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3195747 - 03/18/13 05:16 AM Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

They are still carrying their antlers as of this past week.

#3195776 - 03/18/13 06:43 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Hunter 257W]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

why the sad face? that's a sign of a healthy herd.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3195873 - 03/18/13 08:27 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: stik]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: stik

Sad because of all the great sheds others are finding for the contest. Yeah, you are absolutely right that it's better to have healthy deer than finding sheds.

#3195931 - 03/18/13 09:04 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Hunter 257W]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Thats a good thing!
#3195951 - 03/18/13 09:19 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: stik]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: stik
agree

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3196029 - 03/18/13 10:06 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Football Hunter]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

mine are too in Rutherford co.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3198909 - 03/21/13 12:35 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Bone Collector]
horn master
10 Point

Loc: Winchester,TN

I saw 3 bucks this afternoon at AEDC that had both sides.
#3202857 - 03/24/13 08:48 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: horn master]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

I saw 3 bucks last week that had antlers still. Nothing big. Just two dinks and a small 8pt. I would imagine they are hitting the ground this week though.
#3203811 - 03/25/13 08:11 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: tasaman]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Saw 2 in grundy still carrying.

#3205593 - 03/27/13 01:51 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: timberjack86]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Normally, I pick up all my cameras at the end of January. But this year I let them all run until this last weekend (03/24/13). Interestingly, I did not get a picture of a buck with even one shed antler until January 28th. And as of March 23rd, all but one of the 2 1/2+ bucks I'm getting pictures of still have their antlers, while almost all of the yearlings lost theirs (most between mid-February and early March).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3206127 - 03/28/13 06:26 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
And as of March 23rd, all but one of the 2 1/2+ bucks I'm getting pictures of still have their antlers . . . .

This is fantastic and bodes well for larger than average antlers this Fall?

I've noticed similar, in that the yearlings seem to be shedding before the older bucks. More interesting, most of the sheds I've found this year were last years' sheds, indicating that most bucks in my area must have shed their antlers in late March or later (in Spring 2012). My take is that antlers shed in late March to April are more "protecteded" from the sun and being seen, and can still be in pretty good shape if you find them nearly a year later (Feb of the next year).

#3206141 - 03/28/13 06:49 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Wes Parrish]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

Same in Shelby County. I got a 10 point and an 8 point on one of my trailcams this past week.
I thought it was odd they still have their antlers.

#3206171 - 03/28/13 07:41 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BlackBelt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
Same in Shelby County. I got a 10 point and an 8 point on one of my trailcams this past week.
I thought it was odd they still have their antlers.

Not odd, just a sign of a deer herd in great shape. The healthier the bucks are, the longer they hold their antlers (in the Southeast).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3206222 - 03/28/13 08:26 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

My bucks have finally all shed there horns in the last week..
#3206307 - 03/28/13 09:38 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: lpo1981]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

Seen a 6 the other day that lost one side.

http://youtu.be/pqICP295APA

#3206644 - 03/28/13 02:03 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: lpo1981

That's interesting lpo1981.

#3206652 - 03/28/13 02:10 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Let me rephrase that I didn't have a single buck on trail camera that had any head gear left, not saying they all dropped... This is the 1st time I've pulled cameras an had bucks who have dropped..

#3206654 - 03/28/13 02:12 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Non-Typical

Gotcha. I suspect all the older bucks in my area will drop in the next couple of weeks. I usually see scraping activity associated with new antler growth during the first two weeks of April.

Although I was shocked by the fact the yearling bucks in my area dropped antlers much earlier than the older bucks. I honestly expected just the opposite.

#3206700 - 03/28/13 02:49 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: lpo1981]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Let me rephrase that I didn't have a single buck on trail camera that had any head gear left, not saying they all dropped... This is the 1st time I've pulled cameras an had bucks who have dropped..

In Dickson Co? We are in the north/western portion and most of our deer shed early March. In Mont Co they hold on till April. This is specific to our hunting grounds of course.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3206758 - 03/28/13 03:34 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: AT Hiker]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker

In Dickson Co? We are in the north/western portion and most of our deer shed early March. In Mont Co they hold on till April. This is specific to our hunting grounds of course.

I suspect the early march ant;ler shedding in Dickson County may be more of a herd health issue than a genetic issue. I've yet to see a deer herd anywhere in the Southeast that won't hold their antlers until just before the new antlers begin to grow IF herd health is maximized.

#3206811 - 03/28/13 04:34 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BSK]
AT Hiker
6 Point

I agree it is herd health, plus I think these deer in Dickson County are stressed a lot from hunter pressure too (not sure if that affects them or not). Our Dickson County place lacks a lot of food (most of which is mature or low quality hardwoods). Our farm is in better shape and we hold a lot of deer thru spring and summer, and late winter what plots or clover in our pastures draws tons of deer.

In Montgomery County, them seem to be larger framed deer and the antlers score a lot better per age class.

Once again, this is generalized to our hunting locations. I have seen some good deer come from Dickson Co too, but not inmy area.

-John Muir

#3207295 - 03/28/13 11:37 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: AT Hiker]
MuskyBuster
Button

Loc: East Tennessee

Not disagreeing or argueing with anyone, just confused. I thought this was a sign of an unhealthy herd and a bad buck/doe ratio.
I stayed a few days at Tims Ford State Park last week, and as always, saw 40 to 50 tiny, sick-looking deer every morning and evening, but this year we saw 2 bucks there still carrying their antlers the 3rd week of March. I also walked around a little and saw 2 fresh scrapes.
I thought they dropped their antlers when testosterone levels dropped after the rut, so I was guessing that there must still be does there that hadn't been bred.
I hear of people here in east Tn every year that kill deer in late Dec. and early Jan. that have lost one antler or lose one when dragging. How can there be over 2 1/2 months difference? Please help me understand.

#3207453 - 03/29/13 07:56 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: AT Hiker]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
Our Dickson County place lacks a lot of food (most of which is mature or low quality hardwoods).

In Montgomery County, them seem to be larger framed deer and the antlers score a lot better per age class.

And there's your answer. Larger bodied and antlered bucks in Montgomery County (better food resources), and low-quality hardwoods in Dickson County, indicates the earlier antler drop in Dickson County is due to more physically stressed deer in Dickson County.

#3207470 - 03/29/13 08:09 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: MuskyBuster]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Originally Posted By: MuskyBuster
Not disagreeing or argueing with anyone, just confused. I thought this was a sign of an unhealthy herd and a bad buck/doe ratio.
I stayed a few days at Tims Ford State Park last week, and as always, saw 40 to 50 tiny, sick-looking deer every morning and evening, but this year we saw 2 bucks there still carrying their antlers the 3rd week of March. I also walked around a little and saw 2 fresh scrapes.
I thought they dropped their antlers when testosterone levels dropped after the rut, so I was guessing that there must still be does there that hadn't been bred.
I hear of people here in east Tn every year that kill deer in late Dec. and early Jan. that have lost one antler or lose one when dragging. How can there be over 2 1/2 months difference? Please help me understand.

Not an expert, but from what I have deducted from everyone else it all boils down to health of the deer. Simply put, a unhealthy deer may drop his antlers early while a healthy one should hold on to them until his others start to grow. This could happen on the same farm as well, meaning a few deer may be in better shape than others. I have seen them drop in late Dec and on the same farm still carrying them into March.

Im sure it is not that simple, but thats about all I can tell about them.

-John Muir

#3207478 - 03/29/13 08:11 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: MuskyBuster]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: MuskyBuster

First, it's OK to disagree and argue on this site!

Second, testosterone levels are an important factor in how long bucks hold their antlers, and highly physically or nutritionally stressed bucks cannot maintain testosterone levels post-rut, hence drop their antlers early. Healthy bucks are able to maintain testosterone levels until the growth of the new set of antlers in spring pops the old set of antlers off from underneath. And when individual buck's shed antlers isn't as important as when the majority of bucks shed antlers. There will always be individual bucks that shed early or late, but when the majority shed is the best indicator of herd health. The fact the majority of bucks have shed at Tim's Ford indicate nutritional or physical stress.

Lastly, that scrape you found in late March had nothing to do with breeding. To start the antler growth process, a buck's body will produce a short-lived surge of testosterone. That surge of testosterone not only gets the antler growth process started, but also causes the buck to suddenly act "rutty" again, including making scrapes. Every year at this time (usually the start of turkey season, when hunters get back in the woods), I get questions about these spring scrapes. They are not breeding scrapes, they are "antler growing" scrapes--scraping caused by bucks' bodies producing the surge of testosterone needed to start the antler growth process.

#3207599 - 03/29/13 11:10 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BSK]
MuskyBuster
Button

Loc: East Tennessee

Thanks BSK, that answers my confusion. Good info. I don't mind a healthy debate, but I knew my knowledge was lacking here. Not really a turkey hunter because it gets in the way of my musky fishing, so I'm not in the woods much this time of year. I was gonna ask about this because it was the first time I ever knew of bucks still carrying antlers this late, then I saw this thread.
#3207777 - 03/29/13 02:17 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: MuskyBuster]
BSK
Non-Typical

I'm not a turkey hunter either (although I host a few turkey hunters on my place). Good luck with that musky fishing. Sounds fun!

#3209966 - 03/31/13 09:04 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I picked up one shed in feb......nothing since.

#3210007 - 03/31/13 09:36 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Boone 58]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

I just got the pictures from my camera Saturday and the last buck with antlers was on March 22 and the last group with antlers was March 17. Looks like they have finally shed so I am going to try to do wome shed hunting next weekend.
#3210010 - 03/31/13 09:38 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Oh, this buck was the last I saw carrying his antlers. I think he's figured out the secret to a long life. Grow older and larger but retain tiny antlers. \:\)

#3213849 - 04/04/13 07:51 PM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: Hunter 257W]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

The day before opeing day of turkey season I watched a fully antlered buck running with doe. He was trailing her up the mountain.

#3222190 - 04/15/13 04:46 AM Re: Bucks still Carrying antlers in Franklin County [Re: ghosthunter]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

I got the card from a camera Saturday and there was this one buck still carrying his antlers on April 2nd. He was the only one up to this past Saturday(April 13th). Surely they have all dropped by now. The "No Plow" food plot that I was going to search for sheds is waist deep though so it's practically impossible to find anything in there.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (TN_Greenhead, mhodson187, LA man, JCS, donkey5150, bradshaw34, 10 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93141 Topics
1088658 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.