Topic Options
#3196765 - 03/18/13 10:30 PM Re: Roosting tips [Re: Poser]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Gravey
I hunt a small piece of property down the road and they normally roost in the same general area. Only time I've tried to roost them was before the juvi hunt so I could set a blind up. I definitely like knowing where they start their day.

Tht can be a benefit if certain small properties, however, in big woods, you can find general roosting areas, but no reliability with specific trees.
on the WMA i hunt there are specific areas they do like to roost and it's pretty predictable if you have seen them fly down a few days before. Especially along water courses, you can guess where they will roost. Last year, I even picked out a spot via satellite image, and when I went there to scout, my guess was right, they were roosting along the creek in that spot. of course as the horde of hunters brings the pressure on, their roosting patterns change a lot and they are harder to locate and hunt. And the most frustrating is the bordering cattle farms where birds will roost on the WMA and fly down onto the safe ground! and taunt you all day...

...since last deer season

#3196775 - 03/18/13 11:12 PM Re: Roosting tips [Re: catman529]
TENN.BOY
4 Point

Loc: Halls

Majority of the time they roost in the same area daily maybe not the same tree,but if you know the area that your hunting they usually have a routine on a daily bases,they go to the same place everyday and eat when they come off the roost,just head them off or be waiting on them when they get there.
#3196969 - 03/19/13 08:49 AM Re: Roosting tips [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
All these are great points...just wondering have any of you roosted a bird the night before only to come back the next morning and he not be there?

I have never observed or heard of except for right here. That is very interesting. I thought that turkeys night vision was very poor. I just would always figure he wasn't gobbling or that he was spooked and stayed in his tree motionless and silent.

#3197100 - 03/19/13 10:34 AM Re: Roosting tips [Re: woodsman87]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
 Originally Posted By: Roost 1
All these are great points...just wondering have any of you roosted a bird the night before only to come back the next morning and he not be there?

I have never observed or heard of except for right here. That is very interesting. I thought that turkeys night vision was very poor. I just would always figure he wasn't gobbling or that he was spooked and stayed in his tree motionless and silent.

I've busted them out of their roosts in the dark plenty of times while deer hunting.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3197113 - 03/19/13 10:42 AM Re: Roosting tips [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser
I've busted them out of their roosts in the dark plenty of times while deer hunting.
Back in the day when I coon hunted a lot, I oftentimes would do the same. They would scare the dickens out of us when they launched and took flight. \:\)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3197464 - 03/19/13 03:26 PM Re: Roosting tips [Re: Jarred525]
J-WO
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't roost them often,but it does help me cancel out a track of land. We hunt a lot of small farms within a few miles of each other. The afternoon before hunting i'll go to at least one and listen/look for them flying up. If there's no luck,I know not to bother with that farm at first light.
#3197517 - 03/19/13 04:22 PM Re: Roosting tips [Re: J-WO]
whiskey
4 Point

Loc: Port Royal, TN

It's not that hard if you have fields and the birds are roosting near the field. I have roosted them watching from binos a few hundred yards out. The sitting in the woods for hours before dark and then sitting there till after dark, just to roost one isn't my cup of tea.

#3197752 - 03/19/13 08:16 PM Re: Roosting tips [Re: whiskey]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Originally Posted By: whiskey
It's not that hard if you have fields and the birds are roosting near the field. I have roosted them watching from binos a few hundred yards out. The sitting in the woods for hours before dark and then sitting there till after dark, just to roost one isn't my cup of tea.

Exactly...... All I need to know is if they are in or around a particular field in the evening.....

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3198973 - 03/21/13 06:35 AM Re: Roosting tips [Re: Roost 1]
hcdeerman
4 Point

Loc: Hardin County

I'll have to say my roosting is all about the spot I'm hunting the next day. When hunting big crop fields or pastures, it's almost a necessity for me to have one spotted beforehand in order to get set up the next morning without being busted. The large open areas I hunt will get daylight too soon to move on a gobbler if you wait for him to gobble on the limb. If I'm hunting timber then I'm waiting on the first gobble at daylight to form a game plan.

#3199066 - 03/21/13 08:25 AM Re: Roosting tips [Re: hcdeerman]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: hcdeerman
I'll have to say my roosting is all about the spot I'm hunting the next day. When hunting big crop fields or pastures, it's almost a necessity for me to have one spotted beforehand in order to get set up the next morning without being busted. The large open areas I hunt will get daylight too soon to move on a gobbler if you wait for him to gobble on the limb. If I'm hunting timber then I'm waiting on the first gobble at daylight to form a game plan.

If they see you like you say, try listening in the edges of the woods, and don't cross the open field during the day light. Walk on the edge of the woods/field.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
126 registered (blueheron, scn, Unicam, SAWDUST, Master Chief, darn2ten, 14 invisible) and 159 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93384 Topics
1090432 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.