Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3195978 - 03/18/13 09:37 AM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Y'all didn't get the memo, responsible stewards of money are to be punished. Everything that used to be right is now wrong! You're private retirement accounts, 401k's, etc. are next. These will be confiscated for the public good.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3196053 - 03/18/13 10:31 AM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: de novo]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

Yep. And I'm weighing the consequences of cashing out my IRA's and cutting out my 401k contributions... King Robbing Hoodlum Obama has me really worried about loosing everything I've worked for...

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3196074 - 03/18/13 10:52 AM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: Rebel]
dr
10 Point

Loc: USA

Are annuities worth consideration as an investment alternative, or just another ponzi scheme?

#3196075 - 03/18/13 10:53 AM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: Rebel]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

I had heard that all assets from the banks were frozen, preventing any withdrawals. Even the ATM's were cleaned out prior to this move to keep any withdrawals from being made.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3196080 - 03/18/13 11:00 AM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: MUP]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

So, what should I do? Pull money out of 401K, Mutual funds? What is everyone else thinking?

I am seriously debating taking the hit and pulling funds.

#3196120 - 03/18/13 11:41 AM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Read everything you can get your hands on regarding finance, economics and investing.

Most people can find 3 hours per day to watch Idol or duck dynasty but can't be bothered to LEARN how to manage their money.
We have been taught to join the herd and follow the common advice.

If you carefully examine the "approved/normal" retirement advice, you will find that they have changed the rules of the game and its NOT for our benefit.

Example.
ROTH IRA.... Government approved retirement vehicle. Clinton needed additional revenue to pay for his spending spree. Enter the ROTH... Convert your regular IRA to a ROTH, pay taxes NOW and get your ROTH money TAX FREE when you retire. BOOM Huge influx of revenue that "balanced the budget"...ha ha ha!

Should you NEED the money, or wish to protect YOUR wealth from bad government policy, it is TRAPPED! You pay taxes AND PENALTIES for having the gall to want YOUR money!!!

Now that a lot of people who "invested" in a ROTH are nearing retirement, Loookie! The Inheritance tax is back! And trial balloons are being floated for a "one time" (ha ha ha) "Tax" on all IRA's to help pay for the deficit.

When you include the fees associated with being in an "approved" gub-u-ment retirement vehicle, PLUS the RISK of being in the market, PLUS the gooberment meddling, it quickly becomes a suckers bet.

Take control of YOUR future. Only invest in things you CONTROL and UNDERSTAND completely. Yes, it REQUIRES study and diligence, but it is better than the alternative.

#3196179 - 03/18/13 01:00 PM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: fishboy1]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

So, again, should we, the ones who have been suckered into the 401k's, clean them out before it's too late, then invest in other more secure investments after research?

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3196302 - 03/18/13 03:16 PM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: MUP]
de novo
10 Point

Originally Posted By: MUP
So, again, should we, the ones who have been suckered into the 401k's, clean them out before it's too late, then invest in other more secure investments after research?

I don't know when the crash/collpase is coming but I'm sure it's inevitable at this point. It's your money to plan, invest, and gamble. Some are gonna win and some are gonna lose. I personally am relying on myself for retirement. No retirement fund or 401k at all.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3196335 - 03/18/13 03:42 PM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: MUP]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Originally Posted By: MUP

That is a difficult decision to make and a personal one. You must evaluate your situation based on many factors.

Don't take the advice of some numb-nut on an internet hunting forum who doesn't know your situation. The same numb-nut who just told you NOT to trust institutional retirement vehicles and managers!

For me, it made sense to take the hit and cash out. I was ready to take personal charge of what was left of my IRA money. Discipline, study, practice, mentors, experience......all led me to the decision that I was ready to move what little I still had into something that
I CONTROLLED AND UNDERSTOOD.

The risk paid off and I have almost broken even on the taxes and penalties 16 months later. Looking forward, my returns should be positive and my retirement GROWING instead of getting slaughtered every time we have a correction.
My investment is NOT going up in value, but it cashflows back to me. Boring, steady, predictable.

Unlike the wild ride of the stock market...place your bets and pray they go up and pay off winners when you need them.

#3196388 - 03/18/13 04:52 PM Re: 6.75 to 9.9% tax on bank accounts in Cyprus [Re: fishboy1]
OHVATN
4 Point

This action is definitely a canary. But, I wouldn't get too carried away at this point (I assume none of us have any Euro bank deposit accounts.) A bunch of unelected bureaucrats in Brussels and the IMF dreamed this one up, and it's just the latest in how to rip off savers, taxpayers, etc. in favor of the banks and their bond holders. Can't have them suffer any losses now can we? That would mean the end of the world. Larry Summers actually came out today in favor of what Cyprus is being forced to do by the EU/IMF. Man, I'd like to waterboard that guy.

Subject to Fishboy's good advice to study up and get some good financial advice that's not from me or some other yahoo on the internet, I will only say that it's important to diversify. I include anyone on CNBC, Jim Cramer, anyone on Bloomburg as a yahoo. Always consider any stock broker, financial analyst, etc. as "talking his book" until proven otherwise. If they are recommending you buy something, who's selling it? Never take the advice of an economics PHD.

The thing about Cyprus to also remember is this is Russian hot money. Russian oligarch money. ex-KGB money. Most Cypriots are poor. Cyprus is where the Russians launder their money. Vladimir won't take kindly to this and if this actually happens I wouldn't be surprised in a few months to hear about some Russian justice being served on Euro bankers and bureaucrats. I've also read that this is a German trial balloon that is meant to be rejected by the Cypriots and then the Germans will leave the Euro. If that happens, buckle your seat belts. It's going to be a wild ride.

I do think that eventually the USSA will confiscate IRA and 401(k) assets by requiring them to be invested in US Treasuries. You know, for our own safety. FDR confiscated gold in 1933 when we were on the gold standard. Now fiat is king and there are trillions in Americans' IRAs and 401(k)s. I don't contribute to my 401(k) anymore, but still have an IRA. Not ready to take the tax and penalty hit, but I have periodically taken that hit and moved funds out of the IRA since 2007 into other investments away from Wall Street's and the bankers grubby little hands to hedge accordingly. I'm just a little midge, but it helps me sleep better at night.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
32 registered (Daniel n, TAFKAP, fourwheeler431, BAMA BOW MERKER, TeamMainStreet, David Sapp, 3 invisible) and 71 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94107 Topics
1099493 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.