Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3189810 - 03/11/13 01:53 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: jb3]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

Loc: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA

Originally Posted By: jb3
I think if word got out you had a stockpile of ammo, you are a target or would soon become one.

Got to keep a low profile.

The first clue anyone gets from me in a SHTF situation will be around the time the 3rd or 4th zombie drops from a pop to the cabeza, followed immediately by the rapid exfiltration of the clan.

Just sayin'.

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3189816 - 03/11/13 02:03 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: sgtwebb1]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

The way I figure it, if you are not on your land, you are on someone else's.

An individual, or even a family could not survive but a community or land owner cooperative can. I have already spoke to the land owners around my farm and we are all in agreement. Through traffic would be stopped or controlled and we'll protect each other's properties, barter and help each other. We are all responsible for our own food and supplies, but security is a shared effort. There's not a lot of way into or out of our community so we'll be able to distance ourselves from most uninvited "guests".

#3189826 - 03/11/13 02:09 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: sgtwebb1]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: sgtwebb1
 Originally Posted By: jb3
I think if word got out you had a stockpile of ammo, you are a target or would soon become one.

Got to keep a low profile.

The first clue anyone gets from me in a SHTF situation will be around the time the 3rd or 4th zombie drops from a pop to the cabeza, followed immediately by the rapid exfiltration of the clan.

Just sayin'.

I concur.

If I owned an AR I'd have 1 load in my vest in magazines, 1 load on stripper clips in my ruck, and probably more around the house for plinking. For my sidearm, if I owned one, 3 magazines on my vest and 2 50 rd boxes in my ruck. Food I have stored enough for maybe 2 months if rationed hard, and enough for about 5 days on the road in my ruck.

Ounces = pounds and pounds = pain, if you don't believe me you haven't lived it.
Enough to survive and protect

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3189832 - 03/11/13 02:15 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: Crappie Luck]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Just a reminder that you can live a pretty good while on minimal food intake, but potable water is an absolute necessity. It will do you no good to have stockpiled a year's worth of food but have not prepared for having or being able to obtain clean drinking water. Do you have the means to get water and purify it when the tap no longer runs or you don't have electricity to power your well pump?
#3189840 - 03/11/13 02:31 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: woodchuckc]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
One thing to consider stockpiling in great quantities is salt. if you need to survive, you are going to need to salt to preserve food.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3189875 - 03/11/13 03:16 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: Poser]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

Loc: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA

Great points about water & salt.
Invest in a GOOD water filtration system and several extra filters.
Sea salt from Sam's or Costco is cheap and available in bulk.
So are beans & rice.
5 gallon buckets & lids (cheap ones are fine) from Homo Depot, mylar bags & oxygen absorbers from eBay.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3189884 - 03/11/13 03:24 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: sgtwebb1]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

About 100lbs of meat. A few hundred handgun and rifle rounds.
Rice, beans, a few other vegetables, garden with more food.
Building a water storage area.
A few hundred acres in KY away from civilization and plenty of fishing on the land and hunting.
4 campers already there too Backup electricity and natural gas

#3189885 - 03/11/13 03:25 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: Poser]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

Originally Posted By: Poser
One thing to consider stockpiling in great quantities is salt. if you need to survive, you are going to need to salt to preserve food.

OH ya! Sams and Costco you can find some big bags of salt.
I buy 50lb bags from a local store that buys them in bulk.

#3189900 - 03/11/13 03:59 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: ferg]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

content Online
I was standing next to a well to do looking couple at Gander Mt. one day when the gentlemen asked the burly looking guy behind the counter the exact same question as they were thinking of purchasing their first handgun for "defense". The clerk said without batting an eye, "I just have to be able to kill my neighbor and take what I want if it comes down to it"....the woman literally almost hit the floor. I just walked away.

Ammo will be used for currency.

#3189905 - 03/11/13 04:11 PM Re: How much ammo and food? [Re: 7mm08]
CountryBoy053
8 Point

Loc: Blount Co., TN

I don't have nearly as much ammo as I wish I had. Once all this stuff calms down, I will be buying ammo every time I have the money to purchase some to have for when this happens ago.
I do have enough to defend my home if need be, or at least long enough to get everything loaded up in the truck.
I have enough food for around a month. But would plan on killing what I need to eat. Have some water put back, but also have purifiers.
Next bit I need will a GOOD ruck sack, I have a beat down one.
Lots of salt. And even more Copenhagen.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
58 registered (Southpaw, BOGS615, THEdonkey0515, easy45, Deer Assassin, Team Passintime, 4 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88151 Topics
1032715 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.23 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.