Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3188103 - 03/09/13 10:54 AM Turkey Decoy Modification
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I'm not a huge fan of full-strut decoys (or decoys in general), but I do occasionally use them when hunting large fields. I modified a Primos Killer-B decoy by adding a curved tail fan and by adding a shoelace adjuster to the string.

The curved fan enables much more decoy movement compared to the standard flat fan. The curved fan allows the decoy to move no matter which direction the wind is blowing. Also, the curved fan allows the fan to be seen from any angle.

The coolest feature with the Killer-B is the ability to raise and lower the tail fan. The Killer-B is designed to enable the hunter to raise the tail fan by pulling a string to grab the attention of a gobbler. By putting a shoestring lock/adjuster on the string, the tail fan can be "locked" into several different positions from full-strut to half-strut to no fan at all.

I also switched out the head of the Killer-B with a jake decoy head. The head is more submission but still serves the purpose of mimicking a gobbler in full-strut.

I wrote a blog about it on my website I just started and included more pictures if you are interested: www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

Here is one view of it:

"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3188239 - 03/09/13 04:14 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: String Music]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I think I will just stick with my calls, knowledge of turkeys and use the terrain to call my birds in. I will leave the string activated decoys and gadgets for others to enjoy.

I can honestly say that the day I drag out a decoy or a decoy I have to pull strings to move it in order to kill a turkey is the day I hang it up.

#3188268 - 03/09/13 05:00 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: Setterman]
allchokedup
Spike

Loc: TN, Overton

You did a real nice job on the Killer B. I like the idea of locking the tail lower and half strut. Looks real cool. The head looks cool too.
Later, choke

#3188306 - 03/09/13 05:53 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: Setterman]
String Music
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Setterman
I think I will just stick with my calls, knowledge of turkeys and use the terrain to call my birds in. I will leave the string activated decoys and gadgets for others to enjoy.

I can honestly say that the day I drag out a decoy or a decoy I have to pull strings to move it in order to kill a turkey is the day I hang it up.

Finally, I can get some sleep at night now that I know your feelings towards decoys.

Hunting Photography:

#3188317 - 03/09/13 06:08 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: String Music]
Setterman
8 Point

Your blog is fascinating, maybe I should hire you to manage one of my timber tracts so we have more turkeys and deer. I didn't know they taught habitat and wildlife management in law school. Learn something new every day.

This might be my favorite example of a person having a little success and becoming a Jedi overnight.

Enjoy the decoys , blinds and food plots; those of us who know how to hunt turkeys will be killing our with nothing but a call and a tree to lean against.

You wanted to take a shot at me and therefore I'm returning the favor.

#3188457 - 03/09/13 08:28 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: Setterman]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: West TN

Took a shot at you? The man was minding his own business posting a pic of his decoy. You don't like decoys. EVERYBODY gets it. His post clearly stated it was about decoys. If you hate them so much why click the link?

And, I was "spurhunter" YEARS before the imposters showed up.

#3188461 - 03/09/13 08:29 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: Setterman]
String Music
8 Point

Your blog is fascinating, maybe I should hire you to manage one of my timber tracts so we have more turkeys and deer. I didn't know they taught habitat and wildlife management in law school. Learn something new every day.

This might be my favorite example of a person having a little success and becoming a Jedi overnight.

Enjoy the decoys , blinds and food plots; those of us who know how to hunt turkeys will be killing our with nothing but a call and a tree to lean against.

Is this a serious comment? I wanted to take a shot at you? You have to go to "wildlife" school to learn how to manage a property? I'm a Jedi?

Those who use a turkey call and nothing else are the only ones who know how to hunt? People who hunt private land aren't "true" hunters like yourself?

I don't claim to be an expert. The information I give is based on what I've learned and my experiences with our property.

Hunting Photography:

#3188574 - 03/09/13 11:58 PM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: String Music]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

Setter,

Everybody understands your opinion about decoys. I happen to agree with a lot of your methods. I like hunting without decoys. I will, however, use them occasionally and i dont judge anyone who uses them. To each his own, as they say.

But you are getting a little too defensive about this. If it makes you proud to kill turkeys without decoys, then great. But there is no need to downgrade someone over a deak.

#3188587 - 03/10/13 05:30 AM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: Southern Sportsman]
Setterman
8 Point

Btw this has nothing to do with decoys everyone is free to hunt how they wish.

Mr Cunningham thought he would be the big man a few months ago and my responses are more about that than anything regarding decoys.

And to Mr. Cunningham you have a lot to learn when it comes to habitat management and turkey hunting. That's all I'm going to say. You might want to get a few more years behind you before offering up your "services"

#3188611 - 03/10/13 07:33 AM Re: Turkey Decoy Modification [Re: Setterman]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Wow I am once again amazed that the powers on this site allow this to go on

BOOM

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
52 registered (Rickym, lung-buster, pledbetter, TNRifleman, rebs1, BigPete357, 9 invisible) and 98 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85366 Topics
1031504 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.