Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3187243 - 03/08/13 08:47 AM Need Some Advice
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

I am a 27yr old married man with a 4 year old stepdaughter. I have a BS in Information Technology and an MBA. Currently work in IT healthcare for the past 5 1/2 years and worked in state goverment in IT for 4 years prior to that.

I am at a point where I am ready for a new challenge and considering applying for the Air Force OTS. I know it is very competitive and there is no guarentee of being selected. I want to stay in IT, but understand as an Officer that no job is guaranteed and I could end up in a completely different career field. Of course there are many hurdles along the way and I am probably looking at a taking an initial pay cut. Looking at all the benefits it is definitely something I am interested in, but at the same time I am a little reluctant. I am just tired of the same ol' desk job everyday. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3187260 - 03/08/13 08:58 AM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: thetoolman]
brmaster
6 Point

Loc: TN, Shelbyville

Feel lucky to have the job you got for sure, first I would try applying other places, as if you went to OTS, then off somewhere you are leaving a lot behind, and you will miss a lot, you can ask most anyone who has served, its not a cakewalk.

#3187273 - 03/08/13 09:08 AM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: brmaster]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

I think this question would be better asked and talked over with you family.
#3187278 - 03/08/13 09:12 AM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: brmaster]
thetoolman
8 Point

No, I am fully aware it is no cake walk. As a matter of fact everyone that I have talked with had the same thoughts after the first 2-3 weeks of OTS "What did I get myself into?" LOL. I am blessed to have the job I am currently in and very thankful for that. I just feel like I should be doing more than the same routine everyday.

#3187289 - 03/08/13 09:25 AM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: jb3]
thetoolman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: jb3
I think this question would be better asked and talked over with you family.

My wife is all for it, I have a brother in the Army so we understand alot of the sacrifices. Just at a crossroad right now and this site has more sound advice than I can find anywhere. \:D

#3187291 - 03/08/13 09:27 AM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: thetoolman]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

You have a 4 year old girl...and you're looking for a new challenge...are you nuts?!?!? \:D
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3187314 - 03/08/13 09:48 AM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: TennesseeRains]
TNGunsmoke
8 Point

Loc: Jackson,TN

If you can stand the thought of being separated from your wife and child for up to a year at a time(if you get sent someplace they can't go), then it is something to consider. If the thought of being apart and missing all the life events that go on in a 4 year olds life in a years time is something you can deal with, it is something to consider. For me personally, I would not miss the time I had with my children for any amount of challenge or money in this world.

#3187410 - 03/08/13 12:00 PM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: TNGunsmoke]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

It is infinitely easier if you have a strong, independent wife and a rock solid relationship with her. I saw more relationships fall apart during my 5 years in the Navy than I have seen in the 15 years since I've been out. In that sense, the Air Force is typically not as difficult as the Navy, Marines or Army, but it can be. It all depends on what you do and where you are assigned. My dad was a career Air Force officer with 20+ years of active duty. Our family life was great, but he was stationed in the States during my entire childhood. Our family was fortunate that he was never gone for more than a few weeks at a time. The nature of his job never took him far away for long. He loved the Air Force and it was good to our family. The only part I didn't like was moving every 4 years and starting over in school. People ask me where I'm from and I have no answer. With my dad being in the Air Force and me being in the Navy, I've lived all over the country.

Edited by Vermin93 (03/08/13 12:01 PM)

#3187440 - 03/08/13 12:40 PM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: Vermin93]
bushhog
TnDeer Old Timer
4 Point

Loc: Hattiesburg Ms US

IT personel are very important part of all sevices now. Everything is computor related. Make them put it in writing that this will be your career path. Be prepared to leave for extended times. I was army until 3 weeks ago when I retired, during my last trip to Afghanistan I had Air Force and Navy enlisted personel assigned to my Communications Section. They were some of the best. It will not be a cake walk and times from family will be part of your life. At your age you will have a lot of adjustment to following directions from people younger than you. Good Luck I spent 41 years and 2 weeks in the Army and 30 years was in the communications field and the tecnology now is for the young soldiers who grew up on computors

#3187480 - 03/08/13 01:31 PM Re: Need Some Advice [Re: bushhog]
Twinshooter
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. USA

Since the 4 yo is your stepchild, is she limited to whether she can move out of State or Country?
Also right now the government is cutting back, so the position could start getting limited.

Puppet Boy G8rntn is bought and paid for!!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870
13411 Registered Users
Who's Online
118 registered (Food Plot 101, nick2720, Gobblrgttr, WRbowhunter, Big Ben, flippinstick, 10 invisible) and 176 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13411 Members
42 Forums
96673 Topics
1131964 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.106 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.