Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3175812 - 02/25/13 03:23 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
45min. to the stand
Spike

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Protect those blackberry bushes,deer will eat them to the ground.

well, I went out Sunday to put up some small cages, and they had already gotten to them... not teh deer... the tree rats I'm guessing...

In the main field where I planted 3 bushes, all 3 were dug up completely. None of the buds were touched- it was obviously something trying to get to the roots.

so.... I loked at what I had with me and improvised a little...

I took the short tomato cages and flipped them upside down. then I used long tent stakes to stake the cages into the ground. then I took 550 paracord and used teh stakes as tie off points, I tied teh bases of the bushes to the ground firmly using the cage and tent stakes to slow down the squirrels from bring able to get them up and out of the ground completely...

then I bent the spikes that one would normally drive into the ground outward to create an annoying poking disturbance for any deer trying to get to the young bushes....

then I peed all around them...

checked out the bushes in the new plot and they have not been attaacked yet- but I went ahead and did teh same thing there.

whatcha think? I am sure the squirrels will eventually beat me... probably need some .22 cal intervention...

anybody else run into this?

#3185583 - 03/06/13 04:56 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
45min. to the stand
Spike

Update: I will be going out this weekend hopefully to gather the pics from the cameras and put in new batteries.

One question- Has anyone here ever started lablab inside at home and then hardened it off and put it in the ground after it has come up a little? Can I do this successfully? should I still cage it and let it vine up through the cage?

anybody seeing any green up yet? I see the trees are starting to bud up... Im just excited to see anything coming up in these plots and wonder if we have hit the ground temp for germination yet...

Pictures to come as soon as I get them...

#3186261 - 03/07/13 10:12 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: 45min. to the stand
Update: I will be going out this weekend hopefully to gather the pics from the cameras and put in new batteries.

One question- Has anyone here ever started lablab inside at home and then hardened it off and put it in the ground after it has come up a little? Can I do this successfully? should I still cage it and let it vine up through the cage?

anybody seeing any green up yet? I see the trees are starting to bud up... Im just excited to see anything coming up in these plots and wonder if we have hit the ground temp for germination yet...

Pictures to come as soon as I get them...
Cant imagine ground temps are anywhere near high enough,could change quick though I guess.Also,cant imagine how many little cups you would have to have to get any kind of stand of lab lab,usually a broadcast or drilled plant.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3186265 - 03/07/13 10:15 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

BTW,I get your excitement,but take it from a guy who has made many mistakes,slow down,wait on spring,and plant something that will make it thru summer.Buckwheat is a good choice,something like lab lab,that deer are gonna kill,well,you better have plenty of it,or it will just get wipped out.

And you'll be posting pics of lab lab nubs,seen it on here a million times.

Edited by Football Hunter (03/07/13 10:15 AM)

#3186483 - 03/07/13 02:03 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

BTW,I get your excitement,but take it from a guy who has made many mistakes,slow down,wait on spring,and plant something that will make it thru summer.Buckwheat is a good choice,something like lab lab,that deer are gonna kill,well,you better have plenty of it,or it will just get wipped out.

And you'll be posting pics of lab lab nubs,seen it on here a million times.

I always hear of food plots being destroyed by deer before they can get established. How large are these plots typically? They have to be small. Maybe 1/4 acre? I've never had a food plot the deer could even come close to keeping up with. I have one Imperial Clover plot that's maybe 1/4 acre if even that large and they never eat it down until late Fall when cool weather stunts the growth. Right now I have a strip of No Plow about 75 yards long and 25 ft wide and it's 8 inches tall on average. It's getting lots of deer useage but nowhere near gone. Some of you guys must be in places with a lot more deer than I have.

#3187121 - 03/08/13 06:29 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Hunter 257W]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Hunter 275 ,I agree,especially about clover,it will do fine.But the so called :ice cream" plants,planted in small plots will get killed.Soybeans,stuff like that,and he was talking about starting individual lab lab seeds and setting them out.

Yes my place is around a lot of deer in Perry co,there is nothing 8 inches tall now.Wondering if the rye grass in your throw and grow is what the deer is not eating?

#3187354 - 03/08/13 10:41 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Hunter 275 ,I agree,especially about clover,it will do fine.But the so called :ice cream" plants,planted in small plots will get killed.Soybeans,stuff like that,and he was talking about starting individual lab lab seeds and setting them out.

Yes my place is around a lot of deer in Perry co,there is nothing 8 inches tall now.Wondering if the rye grass in your throw and grow is what the deer is not eating?

Yeah, I agree for sure that trying individual LabLab plants is an adventure in frustration but I haven't experienced anything getting eaten to the ground like some of you guys do. I guess I'm just a little envious.

The particular plant variety still surviving, for the most part, in my No Plow are the brassicas. BUT, they are eating the brassicas for the 1st time ever so I'm happy about that. I was just about to mark them off my food plot list for good if I didn't see more useage this year. What is odd is that they are eating the flower off the top of the stalk more than the leaves. They are eating a fair number of leaves though. One end of the plot they have gnawed the stalks down to just a broom handle sized nub poking out of the ground 2 or 3 inches. The thing that drives me crazy though is that I have another plot of No Plow about 1/4 mile away that has hardly been touched.

#3187359 - 03/08/13 10:47 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
45min. to the stand
Spike

hmmmm.... yep... It is a lot of seed, but I was planning on planting it and then caging over teh two rows. The idea was to plant the lablab in 2 strips 3 ft wide, 100 ft long and then take (2) 4x100 ft. rolls of welded cage and bow it up over the young plants, allowing them to grow up through the cage and use it for climbing structure as well as a few bamboo poles going through the cages.

good idea? think it might work to help protect the young sprouts? I'll just wait until May to put it out anyway- want it to last as much time as it can.

and I believe we will be discing under 3 acres of teh big field, planting it in buckwheat, and than disc that in come fall and go with a clover/ chicory mix in 1.5 acres of it and brassicas in 1.5 acres of it.

It sure is hard to be patient... Im just so excited to start improving this habitat. Bedding area all over- both tall grass and thick in the briars, year round spring/ streams, few predators... working farms all around us...

Edited by 45min. to the stand (03/08/13 10:54 AM)

#3187491 - 03/08/13 01:39 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

The cage made of woven cattle wire will keep deer off whatever you have growing under it. That's what The Wildlife Group recommends to get a new stand of honeysuckle going. Once the plants start to grow through the wire, deer will eat that part of the plant and that part only. That keeps it from being grazed down to the point that new growth is stunted. I've got 6 Strawberry bushes in wire cages with this same deer useage in mind. So far - 2 years - it's worked as planned. Anything they can reach gets eaten while the bushes continue to fill out inside the cage.

The only problem I see is the amount of extra work you are going to have to do to grow LabLAb in pots then transplant it. I don't think you'll gain that much growth compared to just waiting until May to plant it in the field and then put the wire over it.

Also when it comes to planting a new food plot in a field with existing grass, take it from somebody who has learned the hard way, it's a LOT cheaper to wait one planting season before starting so you can spray with a cheap RoundUp type spray repeatedly and kill everything. Once you plant your food plot and get a partial stand with grass mixed in, you have to use a selective herbicid to kill the grass and not harm your food plot. I've got 4 acres of Alfa Rack (Whitetail Institute) that I planted in a field that had been fescue pasture about 25 years. I have had to spray it once for broadleaf weeds and twice for grass at about $175 per pop. If I had just waited and hit it twice with RoundUp in the 1st place it sure would have been cheaper! But I fully understand being impatient and enthusiastic about deer habitat improvement so I don't want to discourage you. \:\)

#3187807 - 03/08/13 08:33 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Hunter 257W]
45min. to the stand
Spike

Well...in the big field, the one currently just in overgrown pasture- I think i have enough time to spray round up, disc, wait a couple weeks, spray again then go in and plant. In that case i can probably "layer" the plot in the big field with the lablab planted straight in there and cage over it- pretty much a row covered in cage and following the curve of the plot...

We'll see how it goes... Definitely going to continue with another dose of lime and fertilizer pending test results.
I'll be out tomorrow to look for shed and change out the batteries and whatnot. We'll see if they have found the new mineral sites down by the stream yet and take a look at what is in the herd hopefully.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (sharris10, gtk, Lost_dawg, Sgoodman, 1 invisible) and 90 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.