Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3181255 - 03/02/13 02:51 PM About finished
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

This is the 8 pt buck skull I found on my uncles property early this week. It's my first EVER find so I've been cleaning it up for a euro mount.

When I found it, with some skin and hair still on it.

This is after cleaning it up. I didn't want it 100% white, cause I think it has a little character like this.

This is a close up shot of an antler, so is this weathering or some type of animal chew? Also is there any way of telling how long it's been dead?

Thanks for looking.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3181276 - 03/02/13 03:24 PM Re: About finished [Re: Outdoor life]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I believe that deer died back in the summer before the antlers was done growing and it still had velvet on it.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3181329 - 03/02/13 04:17 PM Re: About finished [Re: cecil30-30]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

When you first posted a pic I thought that the rack hadn't finished shedding all the velvet off the tip.

#3181429 - 03/02/13 05:38 PM Re: About finished [Re: Mike Belt]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Alright thanks! It never came to me that the deer died in velvet, but that does explain the anters. Because it didn't look like a chew to me and normally weathering just bleaches it out, and doesn't do that, because the tips of 4 of the points look like that.

Of course that's not skin or anything causing the tips to look brown, it's more like the white just never reached the tips before he died.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3183941 - 03/05/13 08:43 AM Re: About finished [Re: Outdoor life]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Outdoor life,

Although I've not seen it mentioned in scientific literature, I've noticed that bucks who suffered from EHD during the late summer sometimes do not mineralize the tips of their antler points and beams, leaving the tips dark in color and soft to the touch (usually you can dig your fingernails into the antler material). Now I don't know if this is specific to EHD infection or just as symptom of not finishing the mineralization process due to any cause, but that is probably why the antlers you found look they way they do--the buck died before his antlers had finished mineralizing, and that might indicate he died of EHD.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3183979 - 03/05/13 09:04 AM Re: About finished [Re: BSK]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

good job getting it cleaned up Outdoor Life, looks good!
#3184268 - 03/05/13 02:04 PM Re: About finished [Re: mathews338]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Originally Posted By: mathews338
good job getting it cleaned up Outdoor Life, looks good!

Thank you! First time I've tried it by myself.

#3184280 - 03/05/13 02:11 PM Re: About finished [Re: BSK]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Outdoor life,

Although I've not seen it mentioned in scientific literature, I've noticed that bucks who suffered from EHD during the late summer sometimes do not mineralize the tips of their antler points and beams, leaving the tips dark in color and soft to the touch (usually you can dig your fingernails into the antler material). Now I don't know if this is specific to EHD infection or just as symptom of not finishing the mineralization process due to any cause, but that is probably why the antlers you found look they way they do--the buck died before his antlers had finished mineralizing, and that might indicate he died of EHD.

I hope it's not EHD, but those darker tips are soft compared to the white, in fact I could probably scratch it with my fingernail if I wanted to.

Thanks for that info though, I'll probably go back there sometime this week when it warms up shed hunting and see if I find any other dead deer in the area as well. This property follows a river so it wanting to be closer to water would also make sense for EHD.

#3184466 - 03/05/13 04:46 PM Re: About finished [Re: Outdoor life]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
I hope it's not EHD...

Just remember that 1) EHD is not contageous; and 2) some EHD infections occur in TN every year. Finding a deer or two dead of the disease any year is not something to worry about. We only hear about EHD during the big outbreaks, but minor EHD levels are endemic in TN (some deer have it every year).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3184607 - 03/05/13 06:57 PM Re: About finished [Re: BSK]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
I hope it's not EHD...

Just remember that 1) EHD is not contageous; and 2) some EHD infections occur in TN every year. Finding a deer or two dead of the disease any year is not something to worry about. We only hear about EHD during the big outbreaks, but minor EHD levels are endemic in TN (some deer have it every year).

Yes I know that EHD happens every year, but it is spread by a biting midge, which usually means where one dies, another close by dies, and where I live, the deer population was finally starting to increase, so any deaths in the already low buck population around here hurts.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
78 registered (gun nut, SluggoB12, mountain man 71, kel, Yotekiller011, Kimberman, 5 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95881 Topics
1122775 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.