Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#3178858 - 02/28/13 07:19 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: BMan]
Deer Boy
4 Point

Loc: Union City, TN

Started off using the .55 gr Remington, found the .64 gr federal that I switched to that I like a whole lot better. The .64's I can never find off the shelf local, always have to order them.

#3178888 - 02/28/13 07:38 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Deer Boy]
Jcalder
8 Point

Loc: Tennesse

Losing one out of ten deer is unacceptable in my book. Why not increase your odds with a gun that is better suited for deer.

#3178900 - 02/28/13 07:48 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Jcalder]
Deer Boy
4 Point

Jcalder, when everyone is as "good" as you are, then maybe no one will ever loose a deer! But a rifle in the hands of a 8 year old under not perfect conditions! One in ten I'll take all day long! That's a whole lot higher than most bow hunters on here! Take your high horse and ride it somewhere else! Also the only deer I have ever lost I shot it with a .338 win mag. Dropped him in his tracks, got down out of my stand and packed it up was walking to him he got up and ran off! Jumped him the next day and missed him running. Saw him a week later hobbling across a field. What do you propose now? .50 bmg?

BTW...thanks TN for allowing my kids to hunt with a caliber that doesn't scare them, they enjoy hunting and shooting a whole lot more!

#3178923 - 02/28/13 08:04 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Deer Boy]
Jcalder
8 Point

I suggest you learn how to shoot for one. I'm not looking for an argument but losing 10% of your deer is unacceptable for me. And why are you letting an 8 year old take shots when the shot isn't there. I'm no marksmen by any means but I know when to pull the trigger and when not too.

#3178950 - 02/28/13 08:26 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Jcalder]
Deer Boy
4 Point

Your not looking for an argument? And telling me I need to Learn to shoot? You need to wake up! I've killed close to 100 deer only lost one with a high powerd rifle! Lost some with bow and muzzle loader.

If you've never lost a deer you haven't been hunting too long then!

As for the ONE lost with a .223 the shot was 40 yd "walking" shot. We tracked for over 300 yds, lost it in a wide open bean field. Later found out that the neighboring hunters found it and tagged it.

None the less, if YOU don't want to hunt with one then fine!...don't!

Just keep your mouth shut condemning others about the way they hunt! If your good enough to kill one with a sling shot and it was legal...more power to you, I'm not going to judge you!

#3178957 - 02/28/13 08:34 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Deer Boy]
Jcalder
8 Point

I've lost one deer in the time I've been hunting. I'm not proud of it. But it happens. But to have the logic of losing one in ten ain't bad is crazy.

#3178996 - 02/28/13 09:06 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Jcalder]
Deer Boy
4 Point

When I was younger, I use to take the same stance that your taking and made the same arguments. I've done a lot of hunting with a .220 swift love that gun killed hundreds of ground hogs and a few coyotes with it. I've never taken it deer hunting, I feel confident in it! I later learned to let people hunt the way they feel is ethical or what they can afford to hunt with, without bashing their means!

You don't know the circumstances of the one lost, I can't explain what happened cause I don't know where the deer exactly was hit. I can't explain what happened to the one I shot with the .338! Things are going to happen in the deer woods that can't be explained. I use to bash people for using power belt bullets, cause they didn't preform well...in my opinion! I would never use them had too many friends lose deer with them. But, to each their own! I don't know where the deer was hit or what kind of shot they took? What does it matter to you and me? I have seen the .223 work great on deer dropping them in their tracks, I've saw deer shot with 30-06 heart shot run 100 yards...can't explain it! But some deer just don't want to die. I've double lung shot a doe in IL that ran about 50 yards, took three of us over 2 hrs in the dark to find her!...no blood! She was so fat the fat plugged the holes. I heard her crash, one guy helping kept saying I've never seen a lung shot deer not bleed. Well we found out why when we found her!

Just because someone loses a deer dont say that it's the caliber! Cause your not there and we don't know the circumstances!

#3179019 - 02/28/13 09:22 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Deer Boy]
Jcalder
8 Point

In not bashing anyone for using a smaller caliber. But to have the logic of losing one in ten ain't bad is what I disagree with. I do agree that things happen that can't be explained. I'm glad you take your kids hunting but I couldn't let my kid take a shot on a deer and lose it, and tell them "well, losing one in ten ain't bad." I agree that with the proper bullet and placement it'll be fine. I'd also hate to know that I had to let a buck of a lifetime walk because the angle wasn't there for that bullet to get enough penetration to make a clean kill. As you stated above and I agree that things happen. I'd rather know that by using a bigger caliber is gonna help my chances at success if something goes wrong. Like I said before. I'm not looking for an argument. I'm not lookin to bash someone for using a .22 caliber rifle to deer hunt with. The biggest disagreement I have with your statement is losing one in ten ain't bad. You may not have meant for it to sound like it did but I'd to have that logic around any deer camp that I'm involved in.

#3179026 - 02/28/13 09:30 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Jcalder]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

So 10 deer are shot by someone with a 223 and one is lost. How about if none are lost with the next 10 or 20 that are shot - that is now 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 that are lost - is that acceptable? I would say that it is not uncommon for a beginning deer hunter to lose one early in their hunting career. So if a hunter uses a 7mm mag and loses the first deer that they shoot does that mean they should sell it and get a bigger caliber, or do they continue to use it and kill the next 20, 30 or 100 they shoot at?
#3179042 - 02/28/13 09:44 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: woodchuckc]
Jcalder
8 Point

Woodchuck. I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that just because you lose one means you need to sell out or quit hunting. My point is saying that losing one in ten is not bad is not the logic to have. That's the issue I have. I understand that when you're young or just starting out you may lose an animal. But I don't think it's acceptable to think its ok to say one in ten ain't bad. I lost one deer within the first 3 years of hunting. I wasn't proud of it. Won't brag about it. It still bothers me. But I also learned to check my equipment everytime I go and to continuously practice. Losing animals happens. But I don't think saying one in whatever number is ok. Maybe my ethics are different than yours.

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.