Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#317533 - 07/28/07 10:28 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: plinker22]
stirrat
8 Point

Loc: savannah

i have the exact plot as described above. i mowed in july. when are you guys spraying roundup before your september planting.

#317835 - 07/29/07 09:17 AM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: plinker22]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

1. What should I be doing to this plot during the spring and summer months? Should it be mowed? Should it be sprayed? I do know my turkey love it right before it starts getting high and I have a lot of success in and around the plot.

If your intent for this plot is only for a perinnial fall plot then let it go dormant through the summer. Deer will forage on natural growth and what remains of your plantings below and they will bed in it as well. Wait to cut the field a month before you want to plant. 2 weeks after you've cut, then herbicide to kill the new growth and in another two weeks you'll have a dead field ready to disk and plant.

2. Should that DER be reseeding itself? I was thinking this plant was a perennial.

It is a myth that they won't hit it until frost. At least in my area. DER will begin to get hit in early season as soon as the leaves broaden. Deer are hitting my DER hard in early bow season all the way through the winter. In spring it will (Moderately) re-seed to some extent if conditions are perfect, however, it is a perinnial and will not last the summer. *Note - I do not see ANY utilization of DER if planted in spring!

3. What are the "weeds" I'm looking at in the plots?

Again, if you're not maintaining an "annual" plot let the weeds come.

4. Should I even fool with tearing the plot up this year with the ammount of deer traffic that's hitting it right now? I have a ton of clover, a little bit of rape along with all sorts of high weeds.

Depends on what you want out of your plot. If you have perinnial clovers, when you cut and disk your field there will be seed that re-germinates as well as what you add so you're doing nothing but improving the plot.

As far as mixtures- it is way more expresive to by pre-mixed stuff. Much more affordable to order what you want and do the mix yourself.

The mix described above is good to consider if you only have a single plot, but it you have multiple areas to untilize you should seriously consider splitting the difference and give the deer a variety at several locations. This way spots don't get over untilized or over hunted. DER can stand alone or mix with clover. Winter wheat can stand alone or mix with clover. There is no logical reason you need wheat and DER in the same plot unless you have no other spot to put it. If you only have on plot to plant you may wish to deminish growth competition by splitting your field. Do one end in DER, one end in wheat, and mix clover in the entire field. That would me my call.

Soil test: Still viable but.... If pH is correct then no problem, but it's late in the game at this stage you wont have adequate time to neutralize ground before fall planting. A test will tell you what fertilizers you need for what you're planting.

#317910 - 07/29/07 10:24 AM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: HOOK]
Team Browning
8 Point

Loc: Chattanooga

I have to admit - that second picture made me slobber a little bit.

#318320 - 07/29/07 05:32 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: plinker22]
cmoses
4 Point

Loc: Cottontown

that spot looks awesome man
#318617 - 07/29/07 09:39 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: stirrat]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Originally Posted By: stirrat
i have the exact plot as described above. i mowed in july. when are you guys spraying roundup before your september planting.

I mow mine and just overseed in buckwheat. Just throw it out on the ground. Then,. in september mow it down again and disc it all back in. Most all of it will reseed. If spraying is needed i would do it after the mowing in july,.. wait 7 days and then sow the buckwheat.

#318627 - 07/29/07 09:47 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: plinker22]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Originally Posted By: plinker22
 Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
When you plant the plot in september,.. plant it in a mix that will last til summer.
50 lb wheat
15 lb crimson
5 lb arrowleaf
5 lb DER
per acre

Can you buy this specific mixture, or do we just buy each individual type of seed and then plant them all together?

BTW, this topic is great: Showmehorn, you get a Gold Star for asking such a great question!

Buy each seed seperate ,. you cannot buy this as a mix. You will break ground ,.. disc in the wheat(or oats) to 1/2 inch or 1 inch under the soil. Top sow the crimson,arrowleaf, and DER then lightly drag it or cultipack it. BE sure the clovers are preinoculated or you must inoculate them yourself.

#318636 - 07/29/07 09:58 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: deerchaser007]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Hook,... DER is a annual. It only last for 1 year or less. It will not reseed. I receive alot of browse on mine when planted in the fall and it returns in spring/early summer.
Perennial clovers are ladino type clovers. They can last for several years. 3 to 5
Annual clovers are clovers that last for 1 year or less. BUT,.. crimson and arrowleaf can be reseeded by discing for up to 2 years.
Red clover is a biennial clover lasting for 2 to 3 years.

I prefer mixes,.. deer are browsers. To provide good nutrition from a plot you want to provide lots of choices for them in that field. Give them plenty of browse choice. I plant for mostly nutrition ,.. but it still works as attractant if it has DER and oats in it.

#318831 - 07/30/07 07:12 AM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: deerchaser007]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

by deerchaser007
" Hook,... DER is a annual. It only last for 1 year or less. It will not reseed. I receive alot of browse on mine when planted in the fall and it returns in spring/early summer."

You're right I did not mean to say re-seed. Please put me down in a quiet pasture.
It is an annual...yes, but it will re-grow or "return" from time to time, but as I said conditions have to be right. In my years of working with rape I have had several plots - "Regrow" to partial extent after most of the field has died back. The plants never mature and typically only grow to 4" in height, but whatever the case there is regentration. To my knowledge, this regrowth is not utilized anyway so it really does'nt matter.

#320521 - 07/31/07 09:58 AM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: HOOK]
showmehorns
16 Point

Loc: usually in the woods

That's a lot of questions answered in a short amount of time! Thanks again fellas.

#321229 - 07/31/07 06:17 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: HOOK]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Originally Posted By: HOOK
by deerchaser007
" Hook,... DER is a annual. It only last for 1 year or less. It will not reseed. I receive alot of browse on mine when planted in the fall and it returns in spring/early summer."

You're right I did not mean to say re-seed. Please put me down in a quiet pasture.
It is an annual...yes, but it will re-grow or "return" from time to time, but as I said conditions have to be right. In my years of working with rape I have had several plots - "Regrow" to partial extent after most of the field has died back. The plants never mature and typically only grow to 4" in height, but whatever the case there is regentration. To my knowledge, this regrowth is not utilized anyway so it really does'nt matter.

Your right,... i don't know what causes some of the rape to return in spring. It all does not return. BUT,. what does return, the deer hammer it on my farm. This is why DER is even suggested or added to some spring/summer mixes. It provides a excellent food source very fast while the other plants in a sumer mix establish. I seriously see DER in the top 5 best planting for deer.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Prowler, dungonehunting, uofmrebel, sll, 1shot 1kill
13219 Registered Users
Who's Online
141 registered (WG Taxidermist, Vermin93, Gonefishing2, Mr.Bro, fredfred, lightfoot, 14 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13219 Members
42 Forums
91869 Topics
1073615 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.092 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.