Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3176411 - 02/26/13 05:13 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: GOODWIN]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Had a friend kill one this year in west Tn, 180lbs dressed, 180 inch non typ. A brute of a deer. He doesnt usually hunt deer with it, but had a guest come in, and he loaned his regular rifle. He had a good broadside shot, eighty yds, and put it in his lungs. He did shoot him twice. He said each shot the deer just flinched, the slowly went down. No doubt the 223 will do it, but seems a little small for me.

#3177141 - 02/26/13 04:56 PM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: tickweed]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: tickweed
Had a friend kill one this year in west Tn, 180lbs dressed, 180 inch non typ. A brute of a deer. He doesnt usually hunt deer with it, but had a guest come in, and he loaned his regular rifle. He had a good broadside shot, eighty yds, and put it in his lungs. He did shoot him twice. He said each shot the deer just flinched, the slowly went down. No doubt the 223 will do it, but seems a little small for me.

Yeah, a broadside, behind-the-shoulder hit on even a large deer doesn't require much penetration at all as you know. Their ribs are relatively light bones so a 223 will get the job done for that shot. I typically try to wait for a broadside shot but sometimes you have to take a raking shot at a running deer and then things change quickly. Instead of 3 inches of bullet penetration to get to the heart it may require 18 inches. As has been already said, a hunter should be ethical about shot placement no matter what he hunts with but larger calibers allow some deviation from the perfect shot. A "Texas heart shot" is not recommended with anything. Well, I DO have one rifle that I have taken that very shot with and had 100% confidence it could do the job. That is my 460 Weatherby using the 350 grain Hornady softpoint at 2,900fps. It will punch through a deer end-to-end time after time. Didn't carry the heavy beast to the woods at all this year though. A 10 1/2lb rifle - before the scope is added wears you down. \:\)

Congratulations to your friend, BTW, for a buck like that!

#3177385 - 02/26/13 07:36 PM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Hunter 257W]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

9mm with inferior ammo isn't the 'best' for personal protection. BUT with all the development with bullets it is completely a viable personal protection round. Just like the .223/5.56 - use the correct bullet and shot placement and it is FINE to use as a deer hunting weapon.

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first – then everything else."

#3177395 - 02/26/13 07:46 PM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: BlountArrow]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Are we still talking about this? LOL

#3177596 - 02/27/13 04:52 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Hunter 257W]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I typically try to wait for a broadside shot but sometimes you have to take a raking shot at a running deer and then things change quickly.

you never "have to take" any shot. i will not shoot at a running deer. raking shot? what is that?

#3177615 - 02/27/13 05:48 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: stik]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: stik
I typically try to wait for a broadside shot but sometimes you have to take a raking shot at a running deer and then things change quickly.

you never "have to take" any shot. i will not shoot at a running deer. raking shot? what is that?

Not bragging about my shooting (because I definitely was not a natural with a gun as a kid) but I've shot about half my bucks running. I don't get that many chances at bucks so I'm not going to lie and say I'll pass up anything but a perfect shot. I guess all the shotgun shooting I've done helps me there because most of the time I don't even recall specific details of my actions as I pulled the trigger - it's just sort of an automatic response. Swing, pull trigger and follow through. I can recall the sight picture and if it felt good which it usually does. I hit a doe running one time at about 125 yds 3 times in a row with - of all things - the 460 Weatherby using 300 grain Barnes bullets. Two of which mushroomed perfectly and stopped just under the far side hide. How that deer kept getting back to it's feet, I'll never understand except that I did not lead it far enough for the 1st shot and hit it too far back. I've yet to lose a deer either. Obviously hunting deer with a 460 Weatherby is ridiculous but I have the gun and sometimes use it. Typically I prefer the 25's or 270.

I assume you are serious asing what is a raking shot? That's when a deer is going away from you but not straight away so that you have to shoot maybe 2/3 of the way back the side of the rib cage to reach the vitals. OR maybe you were saying that you would never take that shot - hard to tell with typed words if someone is speaking literally or not.

#3177641 - 02/27/13 06:48 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Hunter 257W]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: stik

Not bragging about my shooting (because I definitely was not a natural with a gun as a kid) but I've shot about half my bucks running. I don't get that many chances at bucks so I'm not going to lie and say I'll pass up anything but a perfect shot. I guess all the shotgun shooting I've done helps me there because most of the time I don't even recall specific details of my actions as I pulled the trigger - it's just sort of an automatic response. Swing, pull trigger and follow through. I can recall the sight picture and if it felt good which it usually does. I hit a doe running one time at about 125 yds 3 times in a row with - of all things - the 460 Weatherby using 300 grain Barnes bullets. Two of which mushroomed perfectly and stopped just under the far side hide. How that deer kept getting back to it's feet, I'll never understand except that I did not lead it far enough for the 1st shot and hit it too far back. I've yet to lose a deer either. Obviously hunting deer with a 460 Weatherby is ridiculous but I have the gun and sometimes use it. Typically I prefer the 25's or 270.

I assume you are serious asing what is a raking shot? That's when a deer is going away from you but not straight away so that you have to shoot maybe 2/3 of the way back the side of the rib cage to reach the vitals. OR maybe you were saying that you would never take that shot - hard to tell with typed words if someone is speaking literally or not.

i was not questioning your shooting ability. just mine it's a shot i will not take. and i was serious asking about the raking shot. i didn't know.

#3177814 - 02/27/13 09:11 AM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: stik]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

On the offside, I DID miss 4 shots at STANDING deer this year.......... Figure that one?? I blamed that on myself becoming one of those hunters that hardly shoots except at game the past few years. After all those misses, I got my 22 bolt action out and started shooting offhand at a steel gong at 100yards and then got the 7.62x39 carbine out for more of the same with a centerfire. After a few sessions I got some semblance of trigger control and follow through back and was hitting the 8” gong the majority of the time at 100 yards. Shooting has never come naturally for me - I have to work hard at shooting to stay good - luckily I enjoy doing it! I just have to start taking time again to stay in practice. And offhand shooting is the only way to really do that. A steel target and a scoped 22 rifle is the best way to get good without going broke buying ammo. You can fire repeated shots without walking to set up the target – you get instant feedback on each shot if it’s a “hit” or “miss” so that you can keep shooting. Regular sessions of 50 to 100 shots will do wonders for anybody.
For running game though, there’s no way most of us can really practice on moving targets with a rifle. How many ranges have a moving rifle target? The only ones I have seen are in Gun magazines. Shooting a shotgun though involves the same basic skills. The big difference is that with a rifle you have a precise aiming point (crosshair) where a shotgun only has a bead. The shotgun is pointed more than aimed. IMO, you have to be able to shoot with both eyes open to follow a running deer and shoot it with a scoped rifle. And for me, it should only be attempted when the deer is trotting. In other words, they are running but their body is traveling with a pure horizontal motion. Once they start bounding up and down, I don’t try it. Its one thing to lead the correct amount to hit a moving target but quite another to time the shot well enough when that same target is bounding up and down at the same time. I’m sure there are shooters who can but I probably never will be able to practice enough to even come close to doing that.

#3178261 - 02/27/13 03:37 PM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Deer Boy
4 Point

Loc: Union City, TN

My kids have killed almost 10 deer with one! We've only lost one during this time! But, in the hands of an excited 9 year old not too bad! My oldest boy killed one over 150 yards, that was the longest shot they've taken. Several drop in their tracks shots also. I think it's great for your hunters, now my oldest uses a 25-06 and my youngest boy uses a .243. The .223 is now waiting my 5 yo girl when she's ready to hunt! I also recommend using heavier soft point bullets! Never use fmj! To each his own on caliber! Enjoy the hunt and let me enjoy it my way!

#3178573 - 02/27/13 08:07 PM Re: Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting? [Re: Deer Boy]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: Deer Boy
I also recommend using heavier soft point bullets! Never use fmj!

FMJ is not legal for deer hunting, so soft or hollow points are required.

I've used 64 grain bullets for deer; what weight have you been using?

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (WhitesCreek, FrontierGander, primos32) and 73 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.