Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3175339 - 02/25/13 07:39 AM Re: Sequestration [Re: fishboy1]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Having government retard innovation and progress for the sake of political power, and a false sense of "job security" is just piling water up behind a weak dam made of straw.

Truer words never spoken.
And mostly what this "sequestration" is about is "political power" and "appearances", although I don't fully understand why the Republicans are letting the negatives be blamed so much on them, when the "sequestration" was in fact Obama's idea.

Overall, we need these cuts (despite their really being just a reduction in growth of expenses), but it's disturbing they are more heavily weighted on the military and military related. They should be more even.

#3175352 - 02/25/13 07:52 AM Re: Sequestration [Re: Wes Parrish]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

The GOP is losing the public debate on this for two reasons.

1. They have no unified response. While some are saying it's only minor "cuts" and is badly needed, the other half is saying it's Obama's idea. Look, it's it's needed and it's not as bad as the democrats are saying, then stop blaming it on Obama step up and EXPLAIN why they are needed. Messaging is important if you want people to support your ideas.

2. The GOP. once again, has embraced the defensive position and has wasted the last month defending their roll in this situation. They should have been out in front of this. (It's been coming for 2 years) and now they act surprised that it's here.

Money meet football.

#3175508 - 02/25/13 09:36 AM Re: Sequestration [Re: fishboy1]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
I know this thought will be highly unpopular.....

Government employment is NOT supposed to be a first choice Cadillac career.

Government should be kept as small as possible. Much of the government jobs are make work... Not that the job doesn't need done, or isn't a valuable service.... But it has been rolled into the government for political reasons.

MOST of the government "jobs" should be handled by the private sector. Imagine how much better the DMV would be run if owned and operated by a private company that had competition !

Compare the US Postal service with Fedx and other private carriers.... Without the government BS red tape, a product or service is delivered with flexibility, speed, and quality or your competition beats you out of the market place.

There is no security in today's fast paced economic world. Innovate or Die is the law of the jungle. Having government retard innovation and progress for the sake of political power, and a false sense of "job security" is just piling water up behind a weak dam made of straw.

Those in government service who think their job is "secure" or should be.... the sequester is a shot across the bow.
The Russians have instituted a 13% flat tax while we have a "progressive" income tax that is punishing success and investment to the tune of 40% ++. Where do you see an economic boom 10 years from now ??? Where do you see economic foundations being eroded ?

Government workers should be examining their jobs and trying to make plans to do that job in the private sector when the cuts DO come.

I don't wish pain on anyone, but it IS coming. The credit card has been run up to high. The day is coming when we either cut government spending and jobs, or collapse the economy and government.

I agree with you for the most part, but there are some jobs that the dollar should not be the the deciding factor on. In the private sector, the dollar rules no matter what. For example, food inspection, Drug safety...most public safety issues should not be influenced (solely) by the dollar. The Government should strive to do those jobs as cost effectively as possible, but it would be dangerous to put it in the hands of private industry.

#3175799 - 02/25/13 03:14 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: fishboy1]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

content Online
I hear what you're saying fishboy, but I don't feel that my government job is in that category. I'm an engineer working for the Dept of Defense and basically my job boils down to making sure the various contractors build Army aircraft to meet our performance requirements and to support price negotiations for each contract. If it weren't for the later job task, the government would be paying even more for the aircraft/weapons that are necessary to support the military.

To Grizzly Johnson - Yep, I had the very same thought except that I was hoping the unpaid time off could slip until next deer season but they tell me there's no chance for that. \:\( Bad thing is that the bills will keep on rolling in throughout that time.

#3175807 - 02/25/13 03:20 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Hunter 257W]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I hear what you're saying fishboy, but I don't feel that my government job is in that category. I'm an engineer working for the Dept of Defense and basically my job boils down to making sure the various contractors build Army aircraft to meet our performance requirements and to support price negotiations for each contract. If it weren't for the later job task, the government would be paying even more for the aircraft/weapons that are necessary to support the military.

To Grizzly Johnson - Yep, I had the very same though except that I was hoping the unpaid time off could slip until next deer season but they tell me there's no chance for that. \:\( Bad thing is that the bills will keep on rolling in throughout that time.

I hope your job is safe. My wife's company builds replacement parts for nuclear plants. The parts that were on order and supposed to be delivered in June(they were told to expect 10 hour days, 6 days a week to complete on time) are now on hold indefinately. So if thats the case I'm not sure who is safe other than the polticians and thier staff.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3175815 - 02/25/13 03:26 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Redfred16]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Redfred16
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W

To Grizzly Johnson - Yep, I had the very same though except that I was hoping the unpaid time off could slip until next deer season but they tell me there's no chance for that. \:\( Bad thing is that the bills will keep on rolling in throughout that time.

I hope your job is safe. My wife's company builds replacement parts for nuclear plants. The parts that were on order and supposed to be delivered in June(they were told to expect 10 hour days, 6 days a week to complete on time) are now on hold indefinately. So if thats the case I'm not sure who is safe other than the polticians and thier staff.

Yeah, this is going to have a huge ripple effect especially in some areas where lots of government money is being spent. It's easy to talk about making cuts but complicated to really predict all the impacts. This seems more like a binge diet to me - they'll make cuts for 6 months, step on the scales and congratulate themselves and go right back to the way things were and nothing permanent will be acomplished.

#3175817 - 02/25/13 03:28 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Redfred16]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

DEFENDING our nation, having such a strong military that it causes our enemies to not even consider an attack, protecting our borders ---- these may be the main things we have need for from a federal government.
#3175818 - 02/25/13 03:29 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Hunter 257W]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

1/4 of 1% of growth is getting cut. You would think they were gutting the National budget.

The only way ANY of this will take place is if Obama makes it so to "prove" he is right.

We're talking about cutting about a cup of coffee out of your yearly budget and expecting your kids to starve as a result.

Propaganda scare tactics.

#3175820 - 02/25/13 03:31 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Crappie Luck]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

It's mostly just about politics as usual, in this case, mainly Obama trying to make the republicans look bad. Just hypocritical irony that this "sequestration" was Obama's idea in the first place.
#3175837 - 02/25/13 03:43 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Wes Parrish]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

What ticks me off is that Obama is going to close parks, punish workers by cutting their hours, and reduce air traffic controllers...

All of this seems designed to cause pain to those who work for a living. What about some cuts to socail programs? How about ending service for Obamaphones? Welfare slackers didn't have free phones 10 years ago and now they can't do without them??? Gimme a break! Obama is punishing taxpayers and yep, sequestration was his idea!

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (leader, 7mminatree, Mudbone, UpperTully, Model 1, Gravey, 14 invisible) and 147 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93243 Topics
1088786 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.