Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3174507 - 02/24/13 10:34 AM Bermuda-Dang Weeds
monsterbuck07
10 Point

Loc: Alabama

content Online
Well, I need some help. I have got to get my yard back to looking good and it looks horrible right now. Yard is all Bermuda and has weeds all in it, with the majority being a weed that has purple flowers and looks more like a small plant. I was thinking of spraying the yard with round up while the grass is still dormant, but how long does it need to be on the weed before it rains? What suggestions do you have? And no, not worrying about it is not a answer...I like the yard to look nice. Help me out guys.

#3174508 - 02/24/13 10:36 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: monsterbuck07]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Get whatever Scott's has to kill out the weeds and such. I have used tons of different brands but it outperforms all of them.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3174516 - 02/24/13 10:50 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: Bowdacious]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Let me get this straight....You want MORE grass to grow in your yard?? WHY? You'll just have to mow it more.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3174521 - 02/24/13 11:00 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: monsterbuck07]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Originally Posted By: monsterbuck07
Well, I need some help. I have got to get my yard back to looking good and it looks horrible right now. Yard is all Bermuda and has weeds all in it, with the majority being a weed that has purple flowers and looks more like a small plant. I was thinking of spraying the yard with round up while the grass is still dormant, but how long does it need to be on the weed before it rains? What suggestions do you have? And no, not worrying about it is not a answer...I like the yard to look nice. Help me out guys.

if the roundup dries on the plants then you are good to go, mix a little "Dawn" in your spray solution and it will stick better to the weeds, it will probably be 12-15 days this time of the year before you start to see anything yellowing up

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3174529 - 02/24/13 11:07 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: Chaneylake]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

Its probably henbit. Roundup is effective when temps are about 60. Otherwise not as good. Go ahead and try it or use some fertilome or scotts or the home depot or lowes brand you put out with a spreader. But honestly its normal for some weeds t shoot thru before Bermuda greens up.
#3174530 - 02/24/13 11:09 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: monsterbuck07]
SCO
Button

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Originally Posted By: monsterbuck07

Most version's of round-up are rainfast in 1-2 hours. Best time to spray is when the plants are actively growing and not stressed as it will not be as effective. The round up will kill your grass. If the weeds are growing I do not think your grass is dormant. How tall is this plant? If it is tall enough I would mow it down. Most weeds tend to die out after repeated mowings but that depends if the plant derives it's rejuvenation from it's roots or from seed. You state that it has a flower so I assume it is from seed. Where did this weed come from? Is your neighbours yard/land full of this weed? If using round-up try to get the farm version of it as the other stuff is quite watered down. I do not know what other stuff you have to choose from down there but I would recomend identifing what kind of weed this is and look at alternatives to round-up as round-up will kill everything green that it touches. Be cautious with other products as well because they may have a residual time; meaning they will stay in the soil for extended lengths of time. This can make it frustrating if you want to plant flowers, garden and such. I would take a sample of the weed to your local agricultural input supplier or lawn and garden place and ask them for recomendations. Good Luck.

Edited by SCO (02/24/13 11:11 AM)

#3174540 - 02/24/13 11:22 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: SCO]
brmaster
6 Point

Loc: TN, Shelbyville

Bermuda will choke out a lot of the weeds if you had a good standing to begin with, but like said above,,,,,,some weeds are coming out now and wont stay long anyway, I would wait to put anything out until the weather warms a bit, as most wont do much this cool weather

#3174541 - 02/24/13 11:24 AM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: brmaster]
brmaster
6 Point

Loc: TN, Shelbyville

when it warms up,,,,a good dose of ammonia nitrate does wonders as well for the bermuda grass

#3174563 - 02/24/13 12:00 PM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: brmaster]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

Possibly chickweed and it will disappear as temps warm. You can spray it but it just turns yellow and stops growing. Obviously your weeds standout in that whitish bermuda. Hard to be weed free year round.
#3174571 - 02/24/13 12:11 PM Re: Bermuda-Dang Weeds [Re: shopson]
fourwheeler431
14 Point

Loc: Powell

If I didn't have weeds mine would just be dirt! lol
Good luck with getting them under control

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (TX300mag, Fence Post, rastubbs, TNPredator, 1 good shot, Harvester, 1 invisible) and 43 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91630 Topics
1070964 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.