Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3172951 - 02/22/13 10:23 AM Re: James [Re: AT Hiker]
curdogtn
4 Point

Loc: Mcminn County, Tn

Killed one up on the mountain last year that gobbled as hard as any longbeard I have ever heard. Hunted 'em two mornings in a row. Second morning, finally got 'em to come take a look. Set up just this side of a rise on a saddle and when that red, white, and blue head broke that rise, I killed 'em. I usually give jakes a pass, but have killed a couple that were mistaken for longbeards in this manner.

#3173227 - 02/22/13 03:47 PM Re: James [Re: curdogtn]
7mminatree
4 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

When I want a bird to roast in the oven, it has to be a jake.
#3173254 - 02/22/13 04:41 PM Re: James [Re: 7mminatree]
timberjack86
12 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I dont care to shoot 1 a year. But I wouldnt want to waste 4 tags on them.

#3173499 - 02/22/13 08:50 PM Re: Jakes [Re: Setterman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
Why would anyone waste a tag on a jake.

I don't know, and think likewise about 2-yr-old birds as well.

Here's how I look at it:

A jake is like a button buck;
A 2-yr-old young tom is akin to a 2 1/2-yr-old buck;
A 3-yr-old Tom is getting there, more like a 3 1/2-yr-old buck.

Why would anyone want to shoot anything less than a mature Tom?

But shoot what makes YOU happy. \:\)
Mature Bucks & Mature Toms make me happiest.

#3173567 - 02/22/13 09:34 PM Re: Jakes [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

Here's how I look at it:

I would like to only shoot bucks 3.5+ but if I'm having a bad year ill shoot whatever I'm presented with. Same for turkeys...

#3173591 - 02/22/13 10:02 PM Re: Jakes [Re: Wes Parrish]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

Here's how I look at it:

Agreed, and for the record my original post was tongue in cheek, and meant to start some discussion other than the bland loads/patterns etc that fill these forums before the season arrives.

I try and only shoot 4.5 year old bucks, sometimes I make a mistake and shoot a 3.5 year old buck, heck like most I've screwed up and killed them all the way down to buttons.

With turkeys it takes a better man and eye than mine to size up spurs in the woods. If his beard is long he dies, and a 2 year old bird is just as good to me as a bird with 1 1/2" spurs. I have killed loads of all of them, and don't really care as long as they play the game.

#3173603 - 02/22/13 10:24 PM Re: Jakes [Re: Setterman]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I've killed a couple of jakes in the past. The last 4 or 5 years I turkey hunted they all got a free pass. I haven't turkey hunted now for the last 5 years so I guess it's a wait and see thing. I have my doubts that I'll shoot one though.

#3173615 - 02/22/13 10:45 PM Re: Jakes [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I have killed loads of all of them, and don't really care as long as they play the game.
I play 3 games with turkeys. Calling them in, spot and stalk, and ambushing. Oh... and shooting them off the limb if I really want to! \:D

#3173747 - 02/23/13 07:27 AM Re: Jakes [Re: Setterman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

. . . . and for the record my original post was tongue in cheek, and meant to start some discussion . . . . .

I try and only shoot 4.5 year old bucks, sometimes I make a mistake and shoot a 3.5 year old buck . . . . .

With turkeys it takes a better man and eye than mine to size up spurs in the woods.

. . . . and a 2 year old bird is just as good to me as a bird with 1 1/2" spurs.

Now on THAT, we'll have to disagree! \:D
I'm "gunning" for 3-yr-old or older birds with LONG spurs. I don't care so much about the beards.
I passed up some 2-yr-old birds last year, then had the greater pleasure of helping a couple friends kill them, one of whom had never killed a turkey. While we usually can't see the spurs, there is a difference in a long DANGLY beard (and a few other subtleties) to distinguish an old Tom from a 2-yr-old bird. But as with hunting for older bucks, sometimes we mistakenly take one younger than intended.

#3173754 - 02/23/13 07:38 AM Re: Jakes [Re: catman529]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
I have killed loads of all of them, and don't really care as long as they play the game.
I play 3 games with turkeys. Calling them in, spot and stalk, and ambushing. Oh... and shooting them off the limb if I really want to! \:D

When I was Catman's age, I probably would have shot a turkey off the limb, too. \:D
Just never had the chance. Weren't many turkeys then, and I sure knew less about how to kill one!

Over time, I believe the hunt becomes more about the quality and the "how" than the quantity or whether there even is a kill.
Kinda like for those who play golf:
You COULD simply walk up to that hole and DROP the ball in it.
But it's really not playing golf unless you hit the ball with your club, starting out from a distance.

Similarly, at my stage and to me, it's not really turkey hunting unless I call up a turkey and he "plays the game" with me. Yes, I've also ambushed a few in the past, but now would rather just try to get them to "play the game" rather than just sneak up and drop a ball in a hole.

All that said, first turkey I ever killed was an accidental ambush, and it was a jake. First thing my friend said was, "Well, yea, I knew it would have to be an accident if either one of us killed a turkey." I actually hunted for turkeys YEARS before ever killing one. It was a good season back then if you just heard one gobble.

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (EastTNHunter, Poser, AndyW, Bigg E, Gray Ghost, HuntingDicksonDTC, 11 invisible) and 147 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85094 Topics
1028277 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.254 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.