Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#313383 - 07/25/07 08:22 PM DER, Winter Wheat and clover question....
showmehorns
16 Point

Loc: usually in the woods

Here's the deal. For the past two years I have planted this mixture in my plot. I usually stick the cams out on the plot right after planting and continue to watch the traffic through hunting season, but about nearing the end of hunting season the plot looks bare (Rape dried up and turned) and everything else seemes to be chewed to the ground as well. For that reason I normally take my cams up and don't fool with them again until I've planted again in the fall. I don't mow, spray or touch the plot until fall, right before the archery opener.

This year I decided to do things a little different. Several months back I was out hanging stands and noticed a ton of deer sign in and around the plot, and decided to sit near it for a couple of evening just to see what was going on. Sure enough, quite a bit of deer traffic. They were standing in , what seemed to me, to be tall, dead, brown weeds and feeding in the clover that was left in the plot. However, after checking out the plot just a tad closer I noticed that I had quite a bit of DER starting to break ground in different areas of the plot. I'm not sure if that's what they are after, I didn't think they fooled with DER until after the first frost or two, but after checking several of the new plants out it's obvious something is feeding on them. It could be g-hogs, but if so they have hit ever single plant in the plot.

Sooooo...I decided to hang a camera in the plot during the last little bit and my hunch was right on. I'm getting a TON of deer activity in the plot during the evening and all through the night hours. Now, all of this leads me to a few questions I need answered.

1. What should I be doing to this plot during the spring and summer months? Should it be mowed? Should it be sprayed? I do know my turkey love it right before it starts getting high and I have a lot of success in and around the plot.

2. Should that DER be reseeding itself? I was thinking this plant was a perennial.

3. What are the "weeds" I'm looking at in the plots? (I'll throw in some pics to see if you can tell)

4. Should I even fool with tearing the plot up this year with the ammount of deer traffic that's hitting it right now? I have a ton of clover, a little bit of rape along with all sorts of high weeds.

Not sure how much you can tell from the pics, but it's all I got.

This is what the plot looks like going into bow season.

And this is what is looks like by the end of deer season.

And this is what happens with no mowing or spraying. (dates are on pic. Same plot, just different corner.)

#313439 - 07/25/07 08:46 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: showmehorns]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

I'll let the pros answr your questions but man that is a smokin looking bow spot. I would have my butt planted on one of the inside corners leading to the field. Great plot.
#313547 - 07/25/07 09:29 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: richmanbarbeque]
showmehorns
16 Point

Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
I'll let the pros answr your questions but man that is a smokin looking bow spot. I would have my butt planted on one of the inside corners leading to the field. Great plot.

One of those corners sound really good to me!!

#313558 - 07/25/07 09:36 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: richmanbarbeque]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

When you plant the plot in september,.. plant it in a mix that will last til summer.
50 lb wheat
15 lb crimson
5 lb arrowleaf
5 lb DER
per acre
this will last you til july.
When it dies,.. mow it,. and overseed in buckwheat(50 lbs per acre).

This is a awesome mix. Not only for deer,.. but turkey as well. The turkey will also eat the seeds from the buckwheat when you overseed it.

By the way,.. deer will eat the DER(annual) when it comes back up in the spring and early summer. SO,.. yes,.. thats whats your seeing there.

#314036 - 07/26/07 08:28 AM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: deerchaser007]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

What Deerchaser007 said. That is the same thing I'm doing with my plots. In fact, I'm just now planting the mid-summer buckwheat.

However, all that said, deer are a weed-eating species. Native summer annual weeds are their primary food source. Many of those native weeds rival soybeans for forage quality. It is a very viable technique to allow fall/winter annual plots to revert to broadleaf weeds in summer. This is a natural food plot. For years I managed all of my plots that way--planted crops in fall and winter; native weed species in spring and summer.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#315031 - 07/26/07 07:02 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: BSK]
showmehorns
16 Point

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

#315550 - 07/27/07 07:47 AM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: deerchaser007]
slabhead
8 Point

Loc: Lewis Co.

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
When you plant the plot in september,.. plant it in a mix that will last til summer.
50 lb wheat
15 lb crimson
5 lb arrowleaf
5 lb DER
per acre
this will last you til july.
When it dies,.. mow it,. and overseed in buckwheat(50 lbs per acre).

This is a awesome mix. Not only for deer,.. but turkey as well. The turkey will also eat the seeds from the buckwheat when you overseed it.

By the way,.. deer will eat the DER(annual) when it comes back up in the spring and early summer. SO,.. yes,.. thats whats your seeing there.

When planting this in Sept, when should it be fertilized and what type should be used?

Gene Buchanan - 1979

#317111 - 07/28/07 03:21 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: slabhead]
muzzle
6 Point

Loc: Fall Branch, TN

I know this is a stupid question to most of you but what is DER?

#317277 - 07/28/07 07:43 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: muzzle]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Slabhead,... a soil test is the only way to get a accurate fertilizer recommendation. The fertilizer should be done at time of planting,.. but would have been better 3 or 4 months before. I really hate to throw out numbers, and them be wrong, and you not get a good plot. Spend 8 dollars and do a soil test now. You will have the results back by planting time if you use the UT extension office in your county.

Muzzle,...DER..... dwarf essex rape!!

#317347 - 07/28/07 08:46 PM Re: DER, Winter Wheat and clover question.... [Re: deerchaser007]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
50 lb wheat
15 lb crimson
5 lb arrowleaf
5 lb DER
per acre

Can you buy this specific mixture, or do we just buy each individual type of seed and then plant them all together?

BTW, this topic is great: Showmehorn, you get a Gold Star for asking such a great question!

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (Tenn.Guy, reloadxx, BlountArrow, BamaProud, jbird, Bowdacious) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88866 Topics
1039530 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.249 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.