Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3173308 - 02/22/13 05:52 PM Curious? What do you all look for in a bow?
DMAG
4 Point

Loc: Bradley County, TN

What do you all look for in a bow? Smoothness, Speed, forgiveness? Also, what has been your favorite bow and why?
#3173323 - 02/22/13 06:08 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: DMAG]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

I look for an efficient bow that fits comfortably in my hand well, and that I can shoot well. For me thats a Mathews Heli-m! Everything else is appreciated in a bow also. And for me I havent found a downside to that bow

Genesis 27:3

#3173361 - 02/22/13 06:53 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: PinchPoint]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

I look for a relatively smooth draw-cycle, comfortable in hand, no vibration or hand-shock, forgiveness and tunability. Speed isn't near as important to me as overall shootability is.

#3173365 - 02/22/13 07:03 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: TNDeerGuy]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

My main bow is a Mathews Reezen—at that time it was the best bow for me. However, if I was to buy a bow right now, I think it would be between the Z7, Heli-M, Carbon Matrix or the Strother Wrath, but there just isn't any bow out there, from anyone, that is leaps and bounds enough above what I have now to justify the expense to upgrade.

#3173439 - 02/22/13 08:15 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: TNDeerGuy]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

hoyt all day everyday for me... but I look for smoothness, hand shock, no vibration, speed, forgiveness and the main thing I want is quietness. and that's the main reason I went with the hoyt for all of those reason.

#3173449 - 02/22/13 08:21 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: deerhunter10]
bowhunter163
10 Point

Loc: knoxville,tn

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
hoyt all day everyday for me... but I look for smoothness, hand shock, no vibration, speed, forgiveness and the main thing I want is quietness. and that's the main reason I went with the hoyt for all of those reason.
I agree the hoyts are really smooth but I think hoyts are the loudest out of all the mainstream bows right now
865-922-5456

#3173531 - 02/22/13 09:11 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: bowhunter163]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: bowhunter163
I agree the hoyts are really smooth but I think hoyts are the loudest out of all the mainstream bows right now
Agreed. Dont believe I have shot a quiet Hoyt

Genesis 27:3

#3173606 - 02/22/13 10:28 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: PinchPoint]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: Heli-Hunter
 Originally Posted By: bowhunter163
Agreed. Dont believe I have shot a quiet Hoyt

highly disagree.. I shot the z7,z7 extreme, and several other Matthews bow including some bow tech and several other bows. and they were all louder then the hoyt the other bow I really like is the bow tech. I have the ramapage xt. and it is one of the quietist bows ive ever shot. my uncle has the dxt and its the loudest bow ive ever shot or have heard. but like been said over and over every bow is different in everybodys hand. and if I may say I don't think there is a bow on the market that even compares to the sypder. but that's just me. It also makes a big difference what things you put on the bow. you can make just about any bow quit if you really want to. but when I shot all of them all it was, was a sight, rest and pep sight and the bow I got what the quietist one I shot.

#3173622 - 02/22/13 10:57 PM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: deerhunter10]
Rickym
6 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN

I look for a balance of all of things. Speed isn't huge on my list though. All todays bows are plenty fast enough.

The new Mathews Creed is one of my all time fav hunting bows.
The Mathews EZ7 is another.

#3173742 - 02/23/13 07:10 AM Re: Curious? What do you all look for in a bow? [Re: Rickym]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I like them to draw smooth for starters. I like a solid backwall. I can't stand a bow with "smush" in the backwall. Therefore most of the time, I favor bows with limb stops on the cams instead of those that have cable stops. I don't like long valleys in a bow. I don't like them to want to take off if I creep a hair but I don't like them to feel like I am stuck at full draw and can't let down either lol. Some of the Elite bows have that super long valley and some people love that feeling of having to force your release hand forward to let down...but I personally don't like it. There's a certain feel in the valley of a bow that I like. I play with draw stops on the bows and get the valley just right to my liking.

What else...quiet is a BIG time thing if I'm picking a hunting bow. Not so much in target bow though. If picking a target bow I just want it to be easy to tune and stay in tune, and be forgiving. I can shoot just about any bow good that is in tune and when I'm on my game in form...but what I look for in a bow is the bow that is going to continue to make me shoot good when I'm NOT on my game in form...like when I'm a little sloppy or jittery from deer fever or the first few shot jitters of a big tournament. Those are the bows that win tournaments.

For what it's worth...I agree with the others. I made a special trip to see and shoot the 2013 Hoyt bows. After handling them and shooting them...I can honestly say I don't see why they are so expensive and why people like them so much. I wasn't crazy about the draw cycle on the ones I shot, and none of them were quiet by any means. It has to be a brand loyalty thing for the hunters lol. Their target bows rocked though...just way out of my price range. I have less $ in my entire setup than what they had on some of the target bows bare. But boy they sure shot accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
17 registered (SharpEyeGirl, catman529, old guy, Vermin93, donkey5150, 308 warbird, 1 invisible) and 91 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96066 Topics
1124865 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.