Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3172577 - 02/21/13 09:49 PM Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

This is from a friend of mine who attended the rally organized by Senator Lamar Alexander that was held today at Old Hickory Dam:

"I was there. Senator Alexander did a good job. He said that the COE is off base. That the dams are dangerous when they generate, but they only generate 20% of the time. The other 80% it is safe to fish. He gave the example that this was like having the gates on a train track down all the time. We only need the gates down when the train is coming.

He said he met with the Colonel and the General in charge with no results. He has a meeting with the Under Secretary of the Army next week. He has written legislation that he will introduce into the Senate next week to slow the Colonel down, "if its legislation they want, its legislation they will get!" if that doesn't work, he is on the Appropriations Committee and he will work to take the COE funding away. He wants to know where the $2.6 million is coming from to buy the cables. He also said there were 15 Colonels before this one that didn't think this was a good idea... Why is it a good idea now? I walked away feeling the Senator is determined to work out an acceptable compromise with the Colonel if the Colonel will work with them. If not, he has other avenues he will pursue.

The TWRA spoke too. The TWRA said they have been in charge of enforcement on both TVA and COE waters since the beginning of dam controlled waters. They have no intentions of enforcing penetration of the barriers. Both the Senator and the TWRA made it clear this was a raw deal for the Tennessee and Kentucky sportsman.

The realization that I/We do not have a voice through our elected officials and that an officer in the Army can thumb his nose at our representatives and do as he pleases is a dose of reality. Thank God for the second amendment!"

#3172623 - 02/21/13 10:23 PM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: jakeway]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

I'm afraid to say that even with our Senator, TWRA, and us(the people) not on the COE side, that the dams will still be closed. From what I heard, they already have bought the stuff needed and have it ready. Be ready to fish from the banks where you can I guess....it's not looking good.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3172813 - 02/22/13 08:13 AM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: Outdoor life]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

content Online
Wish I could have been there yesterday but had to work. There are a lot of good people on our side fighting for us and I think collectively we have a chance of preserving our rights and access to these waters.

#3172867 - 02/22/13 08:53 AM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: Dbllunger]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

So this is because 14 people have been killed since 1970 below these dams according to our paper? 14 people get killed on the interstates in TN and KY every week, we going to close it down too? What's the real reason?

I'll get involved and call and write to help stop this stupidity.

#3172974 - 02/22/13 10:34 AM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: 7mm08]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
So this is because 14 people have been killed since 1970 below these dams according to our paper? 14 people get killed on the interstates in TN and KY every week, we going to close it down too? What's the real reason?

I'll get involved and call and write to help stop this stupidity.

And, it my understanding that 12 out of those 14 were fishing from the bank and were not in boats. They claim they are not shutting down bank fishing.....

#3172995 - 02/22/13 10:47 AM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: scn]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

This is just dumb!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3173016 - 02/22/13 11:37 AM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: Football Hunter]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
This is just dumb!
yep, about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of!

#3173587 - 02/22/13 10:01 PM Re: Latest on Dam Closing proposals/Sen Alexander Mtg [Re: jakeway]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: jakeway
. . . . . there were 15 Colonels before this one that didn't think this was a good idea... Why is it a good idea now?

I suspect because Obama is the President, and this is part of the control, I mean change, they had been planning.

It's all about control and power. Irrelevant whether it's needed or makes any sense. It makes those in power feel important.

Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: 7mm08
So this is because 14 people have been killed since 1970 below these dams according to our paper? 14 people get killed on the interstates in TN and KY every week, we going to close it down too?

And, it my understanding that 12 out of those 14 were fishing from the bank . . . . They claim they are not shutting down bank fishing.....

Shhhhh! Let's not give the power-mongering idiots in charge any new ideas!
Considering all this, it's surprising they haven't outlawed taking a bath, as more people slip & fall in the bathtub, and drown, than have below these dams.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, Wild hog 44, bassassassin7
13285 Registered Users
Who's Online
84 registered (57bear, backroads, redblood, num1medic, caretaker, Master Chief, 13 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13285 Members
42 Forums
85262 Topics
1030485 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.201 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.