Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3172821 - 02/22/13 08:18 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
gasman
8 Point

Loc: South of the Hatchie

I have checked, and will again..... Don't do it on a regular basis though.

Hunt Hard. Pray Harder.

#3172823 - 02/22/13 08:19 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I pay for the phone, I have the right to check my kids texts. My house, my rules!

Thats the way we raised our son.

He was really looking forward to moving out and having his own internet and phone. He found out they cost money, he uses WiFi where he can find it and is on a limited phone plan now.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3172824 - 02/22/13 08:20 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Redwing
10 Point

Loc: Blount Co.

Tell the younger ones that you can just log into the website and read all the texts coming in and going out. That will work for a little while.
#3172845 - 02/22/13 08:32 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Redwing]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

There isn't a kid alive that doesn't need to be checked on. Trust is great until something happens and it isn't there in the snap of a finger. Those innocent little friends are someone else's kids and have more influence on your kid than you'd ever want to admit. Save some potential heartache and check the dang phone. There's enough stuff coming down the pike as she gets older to deal with, without having to rely on hindsight to tell you how foolish you were for not doing more.
#3172863 - 02/22/13 08:50 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Hangnail]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
There isn't a kid alive that doesn't need to be checked on. Trust is great until something happens and it isn't there in the snap of a finger. Those innocent little friends are someone else's kids and have more influence on your kid than you'd ever want to admit. Save some potential heartache and check the dang phone. There's enough stuff coming down the pike as she gets older to deal with, without having to rely on hindsight to tell you how foolish you were for not doing more.

^^^this^^^

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3172875 - 02/22/13 09:05 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Doe-lusional]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Doe-lusional
yup snatched my daughters from her tonight!! then I had a nice little text chat with the boyfriend!! gotta love a 16 yr old boy....... NOT!!!!( he actually aint a bad kid, hes just a typical 16 yr old boy nuff said!!)
I dont care if my daughter pays for her own cell phone, while she is in my house its as good as mine, and I have Every right to snatch it at any time and go through it!! and lucky enough they are both stupid enuff to leave everything on there!! lol!

Agreed!

Not sure if anyone remembers my post a while back about the Meetme.com site. This site has an app to download that is seperate from regular texting. I was SHOCKED at the requests my daughter was asked. THANK GOD we monitor her phone.

A friend told me about an app where you can send pics that only last say a minute or two then they disappear from the phone. Teens know how to manipulate electronics more than us. Face it.

Quite honestly, we caught my daughter just before she succumbed to pressure from boys and yes, even her piers that were telling her every body is sexting.

Trust your daughter, but she's yours until she's 18.

#3172949 - 02/22/13 10:20 AM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: A.Hall]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: A.Hall
Took my 14 yo daughter to school this morning which she left her phone in my truck. Well my wife just asked me if I checked her text messages,. I was kinds shocked as I never thought about checking, which I replied, she is entitle to her privacy...am I wrong?

I want to be a parent, but I to give a little length on the rope too

Until they're 18 years old and out of the house, they're not entiteld to a [censored] thing....at least that's how I was raised.

#3173059 - 02/22/13 12:26 PM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: A.Hall]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Check heck with their privacy .

#3173061 - 02/22/13 12:31 PM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: Snake]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I have a 23 year old daughter and a 20 year old son still living at home. If I see their phones laying around I check them to see what they are up to. As stated above, my roof, my rules.

They don't want to abide by the rules they can supply their own roof.

#3173201 - 02/22/13 03:14 PM Re: Didn't think about it [Re: deerhunter10]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I think she is entitled to her privacy and you should trust her.

Just borrowing a sentence here, deerhunter10, but this is not directed at you.

Several have responded like this, and it's an understandable sentiment. The thing is, this is not merely a Trust issue. It's about more than that. It's about providing parent-established safeguards during adolescence.

There are serious and sometimes intense pressures associated with cell, text, and picture communications, not to mention kids who have a free ticket to the 'net anytime, anywhere. And to be honest, even the best behaved kids are ill-equipped to deal with it all alone. It's not about trust or distrust as much as it's about standing alongside your kids to help them maneuver safely through an ever-changing minefield.

Now if you're gonna skulk around and secretly check through everything your kid owns, then yeah, that's a breach of trust that will probably lead to a lot of resentment from an adolescent. But if these safeguards are a result of a rational discussion, understanding follows. Maybe not excitement or enthusiasm, but it will take a lot of responsibility off their young shoulders, and appreciation should come in time.

Heck, I'm 49, and I utilize a watchdog program on my own laptop. If I visit any websites that appear questionable, it will show up in email form to both my wife and a fellow staff member here at the church. Do I feel like they don't trust me? No. But I feel like I benefit from knowing where the line in the sand is drawn.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (RiverBuck10, Casey82, infoman jr., volsjp, junebugwapiti, Bo Diddley, 9 invisible) and 156 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93313 Topics
1089523 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.117 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.