Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3172773 - 02/22/13 07:29 AM Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch?
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Just looking for an affordable and fun option within a reasonable drive of the Memphis area where a few of us can get a chance at killing a hog or two.

I've seen tons of Internet search results...I'm looking for references, preferably from more recent trips.

Group size would be 2-5 people (I don't have firm commitments yet).

I'm not interested in trophy hogs or trophy hog prices, if that helps.
Thanks!

Edited by Crosshairy (02/22/13 07:30 AM)

#3176498 - 02/26/13 07:42 AM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: Crosshairy]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Check texasbowhunter.com. They have an entire forum section called "Rate the Day Lease." You shouldn't have to go very far into Texas from Texarkana to find great hog hunting. If you can find somebody to take you with dogs, do it!

Team Peapicker

#3177863 - 02/27/13 09:50 AM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: TX300mag]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Here is another outfitter review site

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/OUTFITTERREPORTS/outfitter.cfm

#3179433 - 02/28/13 03:52 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: JimFromTN]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Thanks for the responses. The outfitter review site actually put me on the trail of a few places in Oklahoma that are just as close as the other places I've been seeing, and one of them is actually free range.

I've definitely seen a pattern so far with all of my internet searching across the South (AL, MS, LA, TX, OK) for hog hunts. The vast majority of them are high fence, and generally the outfitter has some exotics thrown in there (once there's a fence, I guess the question is probably "why not?").

The other theme is that most hunts involve bait, and if not bait, then dogs. I don't recall seeing any that were exclusively spot and stalk - presumably due to low success rates for folks that are generally expecting "more" having paid for a hunt.

I am not opposed to hunting with dogs, but I haven't decided whether I'm "game" enough to kill one with a knife my first time out. More than anything, I want to try out my new 44 magnum pistol.

I'll report back if I can get a hunt lined up. I have a few interested parties, but it's tough scheduling a trip with my wife's school stuff going on and taking care of the kids. We'll see!

#3179510 - 02/28/13 05:11 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: Crosshairy]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

Alot of those high fence places might be 1500+ acres, so don't count them out too soon. Free range hog hunting can be very hard and if your gonna pay then I would like a better sucess rate. I personally wouldn't shoot one over bait. I just cant do it, it's no fun. Now lets talk about dogs \:\) If you ever wade in on a big, black, mean, boar throwing dogs everywhere, with the roar of dogs baying and the stink of hog in the air. You will never want to do anything else..... ever There are no drugs that can make you feel like that. There not gonna hurt you real bad even if they get to you.

Just yesterday I was sack deep in a creek trying to get one killed. It had 6 hounds and a bulldog on it and it still charged me. I had to wait till it got into deeper water so the bulldog would come off and I could shoot it

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3180439 - 03/01/13 03:23 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: fredfred]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Fred, it sounds like you have some pretty stinkin' cool adventures \:\)

I'm not too keen on a bait pile adventure either, but that seems really common relative to the other choices. If it was cheap enough, I wouldn't really care for my very first time, because half my motivation is filling the freezer and testing my pistol against something other than a paper target in preparation for deer season.

I absolutely love spot and stalk hunting, but with the herd aspect of hogs I realize that the difficulty is high.

Thanks for the perspective on the high fence thing. I'll give some of those a second look that are a closer drive. I seem to recall a lot of hog hunting outfits in Louisiana that use dogs.

#3180665 - 03/01/13 06:45 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: Crosshairy]
fredfred
8 Point

If you ever get a chance to hunt them with dogs you'll see what I'm talkin about

#3181397 - 03/02/13 05:04 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: fredfred]
Crosshairy
10 Point

On a related note - I've heard conflicting info about how to clean hogs. I've heard some say that as long as its not a big old pig, it's just "skin and cut", but I've heard from others that wild hogs must have the fat trimmed off them or they will taste really "gamey".

What is your experience? Thanks!

#3181597 - 03/02/13 07:46 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: Crosshairy]
fredfred
8 Point

All sows go in the freezer. Boars over 125lbs get given away to people that dont know any better \:D If I'm forced to eat a big boar I quarter it up and it goes in the smoker for BBQ or get made into sausage. Most of the fat will come off with the skin too

Edited by fredfred (03/02/13 07:47 PM)

#3185412 - 03/06/13 02:25 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: fredfred]
Tn_River_Ratt
4 Point

Loc: Hardeman, Tn

Check with Steven. He is in East Oklahoma. Dogginhogs Guide Service on Facebook

#3186586 - 03/07/13 04:10 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: Tn_River_Ratt]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Thanks for the referral, River Ratt!

Do you know the guy, or have you used him in the past? Interested in any info you might have on the outfit.

Edited by Crosshairy (03/07/13 04:10 PM)

#3480696 - 12/02/13 04:44 PM Re: Recommended east TX hog outfitter/ranch? [Re: Tn_River_Ratt]
Crosshairy
10 Point

I am resurrecting this thread from early this year, because I realized after last season that I was waiting too late to plan this trip (places were booked, and the weather got too warm). My hope is to line something up for January/February/March timeframe.

RiverRatt, I'm still planning on contacting your referral in Oklahoma.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (tickweed, Woodchuck, eastTN270, rolltide22, HuntingDicksonDTC, ZachMarkus, 12 invisible) and 144 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91806 Topics
1072888 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.