Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#3173727 - 02/23/13 06:42 AM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: 102]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Originally Posted By: 102
Please forgive my ignorance, but why SCI? Why not B/C?
Beautiful bucks and great story. Thanks for sharing.
X2?

#3173746 - 02/23/13 07:24 AM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: tickweed]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: tickweed
X2?

isn't SCI sort of like a guide service......is this guy a guide?

nice deer, just not uncommon in many areas of the north...

I'd like to go to IOWA if anyone knows anybody...maybe a week with Tiffany would do me some good. Probably not do her much good but I'd be tickled....lol.

again..nice deer.

thanks

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3173807 - 02/23/13 08:56 AM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

I am not sure what is more impressive 400pounds, or 9+years!

A 400lb deer would eat my south Alabama bucks. Probably kill a all of our does as he tried to breed them.

#3173881 - 02/23/13 11:14 AM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: 102]
SCO
Button

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I am a way bigger supporter of SCI (Safari Club International) than B&C. There are several reason's for this. First off is that SCI spends million's of dollars each year in the US, Canada, Africa, and abroad in many other countries on lobbying government, court action's, conservation efforts, humanitarian programs, getting kid's outdoors and numerous others. All of this to protect our right to hunt. While some of us may never have any desire to hunt elsewhere or may not be able too they work in all area's to protect and conserve hunting. I just do not see B&C doing this.
Check out this link to your TN chapter. I believe they have their annual banquet coming up on March 9th. http://www.chattanoogachaptersci.org/

The other reason is they give credit for what the deer actually scores. It is a total score of either it's total typical points and non-typical is all points. NO deductions. B&C deduct the crap out of a animal for just about every reason under the sun. I believe a animal should get credit for what it has.

Edited by SCO (02/23/13 11:18 AM)

#3173898 - 02/23/13 11:43 AM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: Bottom Hunter]
SCO
Button

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

again..nice deer.

thanks

SCI is not a guide service. It is a trophy scoring method and a organization that protects hunting. SCI has a membership of over 55,000 members in 190 chapters around the globe. Mostly in the US and some in Canada. Check ou the link. http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/home

Yes, I am a outfitter. See bottom of page.

Yes, large racked deer are somewhat common up here, but not as big bodied or as wide as this deer. I was to several horn scoring events across the province, which is quite large, and there has been on average at least 4 to 8 book deer at each with a large number of deer (50-75) that score in the 145"-165" range. Most mature big racked bucks are in the 240-300 lbs range.

With that being said there has been a number of deer at some of these events that score higher than mine in the 212" to 248" range, but I could set every one of those deer inside of my deer rack and it made the others look small. So I have to disagree that my whitetail in particular is anything but common.

Edited by SCO (02/23/13 11:47 AM)

#3173910 - 02/23/13 12:09 PM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: SCO]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: SCO

I am a way bigger supporter of SCI (Safari Club International) than B&C. There are several reason's for this. First off is that SCI spends million's of dollars each year in the US, Canada, Africa, and abroad in many other countries on lobbying government, court action's, conservation efforts, humanitarian programs, getting kid's outdoors and numerous others. All of this to protect our right to hunt. While some of us may never have any desire to hunt elsewhere or may not be able too they work in all area's to protect and conserve hunting. I just do not see B&C doing this.
Check out this link to your TN chapter. I believe they have their annual banquet coming up on March 9th. http://www.chattanoogachaptersci.org/

The other reason is they give credit for what the deer actually scores. It is a total score of either it's total typical points and non-typical is all points. NO deductions. B&C deduct the crap out of a animal for just about every reason under the sun. I believe a animal should get credit for what it has.
I've used the B&C scoring system only because that is what most people are familiar with, but I look at the gross score too and not the deductions. I just recently picked up a skull from a carcass I found, with a decent sized rack, and the right antler was palmated almost like a moose antler... the rack had something like 26 inches of deductions, so a 150 class net scored in the 120s. Because of the size of the rack there is no way I can say it's a 120's, it's not symmetrical at all, and that gives it character, so why score its symmetry?

#3173936 - 02/23/13 01:12 PM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: SCO]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: SCO
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

again..nice deer.

thanks

SCI is not a guide service. It is a trophy scoring method and a organization that protects hunting. SCI has a membership of over 55,000 members in 190 chapters around the globe. Mostly in the US and some in Canada. Check ou the link. http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/home

Yes, I am a outfitter. See bottom of page.

Yes, large racked deer are somewhat common up here, but not as big bodied or as wide as this deer. I was to several horn scoring events across the province, which is quite large, and there has been on average at least 4 to 8 book deer at each with a large number of deer (50-75) that score in the 145"-165" range. Most mature big racked bucks are in the 240-300 lbs range.

With that being said there has been a number of deer at some of these events that score higher than mine in the 212" to 248" range, but I could set every one of those deer inside of my deer rack and it made the others look small. So I have to disagree that my whitetail in particular is anything but common.

Don't mind him, SCO. It's not uncommon to sigh and shake your head after reading his posts.

#3173938 - 02/23/13 01:20 PM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: catman529]
SCO
Button

Originally Posted By: catman529
[/quote] I've used the B&C scoring system only because that is what most people are familiar with, but I look at the gross score too and not the deductions. I just recently picked up a skull from a carcass I found, with a decent sized rack, and the right antler was palmated almost like a moose antler... the rack had something like 26 inches of deductions, so a 150 class net scored in the 120s. Because of the size of the rack there is no way I can say it's a 120's, it's not symmetrical at all, and that gives it character, so why score its symmetry?

I agree with you 100%. I have seen many typical looking deer in the 170"-190's that end up only being in the 140's-160's. I have seen numerous fellow hunters discouraged when they think that they shot a big deer be told that it scores way lower than thought. In following years they just do not want to come out to horn scoring events to enter other trophies because they do not want to feel that way again. This really robs us (other sportsmen) of the opportunity to veiw these magnifecent animals. Every one has different reason's why they hunt or what they veiw as a tropohy. For some it is the time spent outdoors with family and friends as our forefather's did and for others it may be the quest of trying to outwit a big old buck, but we all dream at some point or another of harvesting a BIG buck.
SCI and B&C score pretty much the same way. SCI just does not have all the deductions. SCI and B&C both come to the same gross score on my whitetail.
Where there is a huge difference is on the net typical score. B&C gives my deer a net score of only 169". What a joke, it does not even make the record book lol!! B&C Non-typical net is 198".
SCI net typical is low 190's and net non-typical is 204". B&C has deductions even for non-typical.

Edited by SCO (02/23/13 01:26 PM)

#3173966 - 02/23/13 02:48 PM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: SCO]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Thanks SCO.
I am very familiar with B/C scoring and had no idea that SCI was like that.
In all honesty I thought you were going to answer my question with some type of response that had you hunting in a fence or something. Again, forgive my ignorance.

Actually, while your bucks are huge, and beautiful animals, I have no use for hunters killing pen raised deer. I would be more impressed with someone killing a huge cow or bull in a pasture.

Or a 1.5 year old spike on public land with their bow after a perfect lung shot.

But that being a free ranging, wild, non pen raised deer is really something.

I think though I am most impressed with the harsh condiditions of your hunt. I like cold just fine but that kind of cold is CRAZY!!! No wonder the deer get so big.

Kind of helps explain Bergman's Rule!

Again, thanks for sharing and congratulations.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3174561 - 02/24/13 11:57 AM Re: My 2012 204" SCI Whitetail and 180" Mule deer. [Re: 102]
SCO
Button

Thanks SCO.
I am very familiar with B/C scoring and had no idea that SCI was like that.
In all honesty I thought you were going to answer my question with some type of response that had you hunting in a fence or something. Again, forgive my ignorance.

Actually, while your bucks are huge, and beautiful animals, I have no use for hunters killing pen raised deer. I would be more impressed with someone killing a huge cow or bull in a pasture.

Or a 1.5 year old spike on public land with their bow after a perfect lung shot.

But that being a free ranging, wild, non pen raised deer is really something.

I think though I am most impressed with the harsh condiditions of your hunt. I like cold just fine but that kind of cold is CRAZY!!! No wonder the deer get so big.

Kind of helps explain Bergman's Rule!

Again, thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Thanks for the comments 102.
Yes SCI and B&C both score pretty much the same except SCI has no deductions. It just gets a total typical or non-typical score. SCI also offers catergories for rifle, bow, muzzle loader, etc. So while you may not have a giant deer overall it may rank quite high in its method of take. They also offer catergories that B&C just does not recognize. An example would be wolf. I had a client four years ago take a wolf on my black bear hunt that ended up ranking #6 in the world at that time. The skull is measured same as a bear and scored 17 15/16ths.

They offer scoring for all species that are huntable in the world and they differentiate between regions as well. For example; Whitetail deer are divided into 10 different areas in North America. When I checked the record book you would be in the South East Whitetail catergory. I am sure that there are members on the forum here that have deer in thier homes that would make the top 10-20 as some of the deer entered are 117"-127" range. I think that it is only fair as there is obvious genetic diferences between regions. This link should take you to thier record book page http://member.scifirstforhunters.org/members/RB/view_minimums.cfm or check out your TN chapter in Chattanooga area.

http://www.chattanoogachaptersci.org

SCI also separates out "Estate" (high fence), and "Introduced" species. While I agree with you on the "high fence" style of hunting just does not work for me either, and am glad it is illegal here in Aberta I do not shun someone else if that is thier choice or if SCI is willing to have a catergory to recognize that.

All in all it is still some form of hunting and it makes economic revenue that lots of small towns rely on. Just like some areas have a big division between bow hunting or rifle hunting or throw the use of a crossbow in there to really stir the pot and I have seen/read some discussions that I was not sure if one group were still hunters or if they had joined up with peta or greenpeace. I think the biggest thing in this day and age is united we stand divided we fall.

To respond about the weather it is not normaly that cold. It was just a cold snap that we had the only particular time that I had to hunt as I was busy guiding the rest of the month.

Edited by SCO (02/24/13 12:03 PM)

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 24 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100237 Topics
1180142 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
February
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.