Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3170636 - 02/20/13 10:23 AM Props to Poser!!
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Followed Poser's marinade recipe and squirrel grilling tip, and it was incredible! I really hadn't squirrel hunted in well over a decade. The eatin' just wasn't worth the hassle of the hunt and clean, in my experience, and squirrels were for taking kids out to kill something. But the marinade flavor came through, and after an initial ten minutes of open grill/basting, another 20 minutes in foil packs produced squirrel meat that fell off the bone.

Says Brooklyn #2, you could present this meat to anyone and they would never dream it was squirrel, it's so good!

Thanks man! Go Carnivore! (I pitched your blog out there, but who knows if it will make it to the finished product)

#3170638 - 02/20/13 10:26 AM Re: Props to Poser!! [Re: Nimrod777]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Yup now I can say that squirrel tastes good. Dang, we forgot to save the heart for Poser.

#3170660 - 02/20/13 10:47 AM Re: Props to Poser!! [Re: catman529]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Or for my carnivorous chickens.

#3170720 - 02/20/13 11:48 AM Re: Props to Poser!! [Re: Nimrod777]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

I never have liked eating squirrel, however I would love to kill/thin out a few dozen that have terrorized me during deer season, but I refuse to kill anything I don't plan on eating—this may change that. I may have to go squirrel hunting now just to see what all the fuss is about. What kind of marinade did you use Keith, and how long did you brine it?

I assume this is the marinade/method thread you were talking about?

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthre...rue#Post3156047

#3170735 - 02/20/13 11:58 AM Re: Props to Poser!! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Glad it worked out for you. This is the recipe I sent Nimrod. Its one of the more simple BBQ Squirrel recipes I use. They key to Squirrels is brining AND marinading. The brine helps retain moisture and the marinade tenderizes the meat. The problem with squirrels is that they can be dry and tough. This method addresses both, but allows you another option to having to boil, braise, or slow cook them:

4 whole squirrels (skinned and gutted)

I would do a 4 hour brine with a 1 to 4 salt to water ratio: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-chicken-brine/

Marinade: 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine or vinegar
2 garlic gloves, chopped
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice

Place the squirrels in the marinade for another 4 hours (or longer). Most efficient way it to vacuum seal the squirrels in a bag with the marinade (this maximizes the exposure). Use a folded paper towel in the bag to keep the seal from sucking the marinade out when vacuuming.

Get the grill going.
Skewer the squirrels open (butterflied) with skewers (soak them first)
melt a stick of butter
Place the squirrels on the hot grill for about 5 minutes on each side, brush them with butter the entire time.

Remove from the grill, place in foil and put back on the grill for another 15-20 minutes to let them finish cooking. Make sure they have a good butter coating before doing this so that they don't dry out.

Hand them out and eat them whole. Simple and delicious.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3170739 - 02/20/13 11:59 AM Re: Props to Poser!! [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Oh and in before RedBlood throws up in his mouth \:D

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3170767 - 02/20/13 12:21 PM Re: Props to Poser!! [Re: Poser]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Yep, that's the ticket, right up there! And now, out of respect for every person to comment on any online recipe as a reviewer, here's what I didn't do the way the recipe said:

I opted for Cider Vinegar; the flavor factor attracted me.

I mis-read the plan and didn't do a true brine. I soaked the cleaned rats in a lighter ratio of salt/water to try and draw some of the blood out of the shot areas, and read later what I should have done. Woops.

I used minced garlic from a jar, which for me is a big, new step in the right direction. I also used lemon juice because it was on hand.

I marinaded in a gallon Ziplock back, pushing the air out as I sealed it. I set it in a bowl in the fridge at night, rotated the bag in the morning, and cooked the buggers at noon straight out da bag.

I din't have no skewers.

None of the above are recommendations, but just goes to show you even if you mess up this recipe, your eaters'll be like, DANG!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
133 registered (JandSCattleCo, Devin2009, Harvester, BARhunter, LUNGBLOOD, BuckDropper, 15 invisible) and 198 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95666 Topics
1119793 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.194 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.