Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3169624 - 02/19/13 11:10 AM starting with a pretty much clean slate
45min. to the stand
Spike

Loc: TN

My wife's family has land in Henrietta that I began hunting last fall. It was logged over a decade ago, and the undergrowth is amazingly thick. There is one "old school" food plot field with a stand in it, one large 7 acre field,and a lot of woodlands including one 20+ yr. old overgrown field also.

The only other person hunting the land is one of the uncles. Unfortunately, there is a lot of non "quality" pressure around... sounds like fireworks most mornings during deer season.

So my plans for this year are as follows:
this field is 1 acre and is getting raked and overseeded/ late frost seeded with 3 lbs of ladino and a pound of chicory tomorrow:

next month, I am going to plant 2 rows of lablab and cage it until it establishes, as well as putting a couple blackberry bushes in it...

I am cutting in a deep kill plot in a no till mix blended with chicory and clover additionally. It will be about 1/2 acre. I am hinge cutting to provide cover and natural trail direction:

great location- deep in a valley next to a spring fed stream...

then I have found a few more spots that look good for "micro plots"

the idea is to feed them, attract them, and hold them as much as possible. By putting in many small "snack" plots as well as a couple good maintenance feeding fields, I am hoping to achieve that. smaller fields will be mixed- mostly clover, but I am thinking come fall a couple will get brassicas and turnips...

here are some of the areas:

old logging trail:

right now I am working on clearing and liming. teh big food plot and the hidden one shown first will be the only producers this summer, the small plots I will be clearing, working over, and liming in prep for a fall planting.

I am going to add some arrowleaf clover as well to both of the plots for this year.

Any advice or help- guidance- would be appreciated. plant mix, location advice, lessons learned, etc.

and this is the big field:

will be an apple/ peach/ pear orchard up top in about 10 more years. the bottom part will get put out in clover...

so I guess this is a new grow thread? I will implement what advice I can and provide updates as the months go on.

#3169630 - 02/19/13 11:15 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
45min. to the stand
Spike

as an aside- can I spray the existing food plot field with poast and overseed teh same day, or just mow it to a stubble and overseed?
#3170370 - 02/19/13 11:30 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

nice place
#3170702 - 02/20/13 11:30 AM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Good ideas,but be very careful hunting the plots,especially the "micro"plots.They can become a night time only place for deer very quickly.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3170894 - 02/20/13 02:24 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: Football Hunter]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

It will be tough frost seeding without killing the existing vegetation first. Yes you can spray poast and overseed the same day, I just think you are going to have alot of weed control issues though doing it that way. You generally have to spray multiple times in those grass fields like that or you just continue to have problems. I would advise to wait til Fall to put that in clover. Spray multiple times over this Spring/Summer to suppress the grass, even then you will still likely have to spray a grass specific every now and then. Im in the same situation with a farm my Dad just bought, I want to get clover plots in now, but just would rather wait til next Fall so weed problems wont be so bad. Just my advice, take it or leave it lol

#3171264 - 02/20/13 08:27 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: smstone22]
45min. to the stand
Spike

well... its too late now! I spread 1/2 ton of lime today... 1 50lb bag at a time- lol... 750lbs in the big field, and 250lbs in the little secret plot. I will be hunting the trails to the plot on the way to the bedding area- no kills in the plot...

then I went ahead and spread the clover and chicory seed. Most of that top field is left over food plot- red clover, rape, lespedanza, aslike, etc... Hope the rain tomorrow washes the seed into the soil with the lime and then over the next week, we should have more than enough nights with frost. I talked to the farmer next door for advice...

planted up 10 blackberry bushes today also- along the edges of the big plot and 2 inside the small plot, and 3 more leading out along the existing trail... deep trail- not a superhighway...

we'll see how it goes.

and I threw in a rack rock lick with a beet flavor mineral brick in- they are tearing it up already!

Edited by 45min. to the stand (02/20/13 08:30 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot pics

#3171342 - 02/20/13 09:15 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
jmb4wd
8 Point

Loc: Christiana, TN

Originally Posted By: 45min. to the stand
as an aside- can I spray the existing food plot field with poast and overseed teh same day, or just mow it to a stubble and overseed?

Looks like you have fun times ahead!!!!

If it was me, Id just cut low and overseed and let it get warmer and let somemore stuff green up before you start spraying

Food Plot Establishment and Maintenance

Justin

#3172016 - 02/21/13 01:41 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: jmb4wd]
45min. to the stand
Spike

well... Thank the lord for the rain coming today like I had hoped, then freezing 2 nights later... after that I just hope our spring stays as mild as the winter!
Come April, I'll plant up the lablab, but until then, its just waiting.

I know the plots will begin producing around the same time as spring green up, but the more I look at those does, the more I cant help to think that they are looking a little scrawny... and Im sure that there are more than a few with Fawns in the oven...

So let me ask a question- from the perspective of what is best for the deer, Im thinking they need more food...
This weekend, one of the uncles will put out 4 free choice feeders with corn to help provide the late winter carbs- but should I be telling him to mix in roasted soybeans so we can supplement protien also?

Anybody else had this problem in the first few years of cutting in plots? did you supplementally feed?

I'll put in another 1/2 acre plot deep in the woods, but thats probably about all we will add this year. next year we will maintain and expand the existing plots and cut in new ones...

Im just getting started here, so any experience you guys can share will help me greatly.

#3172021 - 02/21/13 01:47 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
45min. to the stand
Spike

and I am decided- next month, I am going to bushwack about 50 yards in from here:

Its the heart of the property,thinned canopy letting in great light, right in a natural funnel, bedding areas all around, water all around...

Im gonna get all in that thick briary, tangled mess and put in 1/2 acre.

just as soon as my body recovers from all of yesterday's work!

Edited by 45min. to the stand (02/21/13 01:48 PM)

#3173141 - 02/22/13 01:59 PM Re: starting with a pretty much clean slate [Re: 45min. to the stand]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Protect those blackberry bushes,deer will eat them to the ground.

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (rtaylor, Polar Kraft, Jimmy1320, Zulu, redheadshooter, 1 invisible) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.