Page 13 of 20 « First<1112131415>Last »
Topic Options
#3168486 - 02/18/13 10:59 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: jar]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: jar
Knowing how to hunt a mature deer or not, who wouldnt want more mature deer around. Oh yeah maybe the guys who just want to get bloody and say i shot a buck.

I really do understand what you are saying, and where your frustration comes from. But I believe a couple of points need to be made.

Too often I see those who prefer to hunt only mature bucks make the incorrect assumption that those hunters who do not hunt exclusively for mature bucks are ALL "brown it's down" hunters. That would be a huge mistake. Many hunters-managers exist that do not hunt exclusively for mature bucks, but do a very good job of protecting the youngest age-classes of buck, and do a great job of managing their local buck age structure. A hunter does not need to manage only for mature bucks to produce a local buck age structure that contains mature bucks. As long as a hunter or group of hunters' harvest decisions allow some bucks to mature, it doesn't matter what bucks are being harvested. Too many hunters are acquiring an incorrect view of how mature bucks are produced through management. Several valid techniques exist beyond just limiting the harvest of bucks to only mature bucks.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3168496 - 02/18/13 11:11 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

I really do understand the frustrations of many hunters that currently hunt in the most difficult to manage situations. We hunters that hunt in the easy to manage situations don't realize how lucky we are.

Although limiting the age of bucks killed (protecting young bucks) is the fastest way to produce mature bucks in any deer population, simply killing less total bucks each year than are produced through reproduction (number of button bucks produced) WILL advance the buck age structure and produce mature bucks.

This is easily acheived in some parts of the state, especially those areas with large land-ownership patterns, lower hunter densities (lots of big clubs and leases), and a moderate to high deer density (most often found in parts of Unit L). In these situations, far more bucks exist than hunters, and even if hunters aren't that selective about what age bucks they kill, the total buck harvest is less than the number of new bucks produced each year, and the buck age structure gets older over time.

And then you have sections of Unit B, with low deer densities (few bucks) and lots of hunters. THAT is an extraordinarily difficult situation to manage to the point of producing mature bucks. If there are more hunters in the woods than bucks in the woods, even a 1 buck limit isn't going to help. Every hunter killing their 1 buck still decimates the buck population every year.

So the TWRA is between a rock and hard place. They have pockets of the state that are currently in exceptional shape and where imposing restrictive limits would actually be detrimental. And then they have pockets of the state were no realistic limit could be set that will produce what some hunters want (harveatable numbers of mature bucks). So what are they to do? I wish I had the answer...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3168529 - 02/18/13 11:42 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BSK]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
 Originally Posted By: BSK
So the TWRA is between a rock and hard place. They have pockets of the state that are currently in exceptional shape and where imposing restrictive limits would actually be detrimental. And then they have pockets of the state were no realistic limit could be set that will produce what some hunters want (harveatable numbers of mature bucks). So what are they to do? I wish I had the answer...

What about regional buck limits just like we have regional doe limits? Would that help?

#3168571 - 02/18/13 12:32 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BSK]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: jar
Knowing how to hunt a mature deer or not, who wouldnt want more mature deer around. Oh yeah maybe the guys who just want to get bloody and say i shot a buck.

I really do understand what you are saying, and where your frustration comes from. But I believe a couple of points need to be made.

Too often I see those who prefer to hunt only mature bucks make the incorrect assumption that those hunters who do not hunt exclusively for mature bucks are ALL "brown it's down" hunters. That would be a huge mistake. Many hunters-managers exist that do not hunt exclusively for mature bucks, but do a very good job of protecting the youngest age-classes of buck, and do a great job of managing their local buck age structure. A hunter does not need to manage only for mature bucks to produce a local buck age structure that contains mature bucks. As long as a hunter or group of hunters' harvest decisions allow some bucks to mature, it doesn't matter what bucks are being harvested. Too many hunters are acquiring an incorrect view of how mature bucks are produced through management. Several valid techniques exist beyond just limiting the harvest of bucks to only mature bucks.

I know a lot of hunters but know of NONE at all that just want to get bloody and say they got a Buck.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3168611 - 02/18/13 01:23 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
I know a lot of hunters but know of NONE at all that just want to get bloody and say they got a Buck.

I don't know WestTn Huntin'man. If we ignore the "get bloody" part, I would not be shocked in the least if a survey of all deer hunters in TN found that more than 50% of all deer hunters will gladly shoot the first buck they see. I really do believe the majority of deer hunters want to kill "their" buck for the year.

Honestly, I'm not that far from that myself. Although I teach, promote, and practice QDM, I absolutely want to kill a buck every year. I don't pour the time, money, blood, sweat, and even tears into my hunting land to come away empty handed most of the time. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to shoot a yearling buck just to "get my buck," but I'm also not going to let 100-class 2 1/2 year-olds wander by me repeatedly and then go buckless for the year, at least not for many years in a row!

#3168648 - 02/18/13 01:58 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

To add to the above, every hunter has different wants, needs, and desires from their hunting experience. Some want only mature bucks, and they are willing to go years between buck kills to acheive what they want. I say to those hunters, "More power to you, and good luck." I hope they are successful. But also, "Don't ask me to hunt the same way!"

And then there are those hunters at the opposite end of the spectrum who just want to kill a buck each year, any buck. And I say, "More power too you, and good luck." But again, "Don't ask me to hunt the same way!"

Everybody wants something different, and that's OK, as long as one group doesn't try to force their style on everybody else AND it is biologically possible for everybody to manage for the experience they want. Now we all know compromises must be made between neighbors with opposite management strategies, but that's life.

#3168652 - 02/18/13 02:00 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BSK]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

I don't disagree that a lot of hunters are happy to get a buck irregardless of age or horns.For the 1st 10 or 12 years that I hunted I was happy to see and be able to shoot a deer period buck or doe.During this time Tn had a 11 buck limit and the only places I had to hunt were public lands.I can understand and relate to that feeling.
I strongly object to the enjoying getting bloody part. It is a image that many non hunters have of all hunters.It is part of the hunt .I stand by my statement that I do not know of any hunters that enjoy getting bloody.The statement projects a bad image of hunters in general.It has nothing to do with a 1,2,or 3, buck limit or managing a quality deer population.

#3168667 - 02/18/13 02:13 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Compromise is without a doubt in my mind what is needed for all hunters to be happy. I think TWRA has done a good job at keeping most hunters happy and the herd healthy.The media has done a very good job of encouraging hunters to be obsessed with horn size.

#3168729 - 02/18/13 03:21 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man

I strongly object to the enjoying getting bloody part. It is a image that many non hunters have of all hunters.It is part of the hunt .I stand by my statement that I do not know of any hunters that enjoy getting bloody.The statement projects a bad image of hunters in general.It has nothing to do with a 1,2,or 3, buck limit or managing a quality deer population.

What are you referring to when you say getting Bloody? Just getting blood on your cloths when gutting a deer or a tradtion after killing your first deer.

#3168752 - 02/18/13 04:09 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: WRbowhunter]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

I was referring to Jar's comment about hunters that just want to get a buck and and get bloody.It Makes hunters sound like they are blood thirsty savages.IMO most hunters try to make quick clean kills and try to be quick and clean with their butchering. Quite the opposite of enjoying the bloody part of it.

Page 13 of 20 « First<1112131415>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
56 registered (redblood, NoNtYpiCaL1, in the dog house!, MFDfire15, Master Chief, UTGrad, 5 invisible) and 96 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93068 Topics
1087537 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.103 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.