Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3169792 - 02/19/13 02:46 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: Hunter 257W]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45ACP on the right side in a Bianchi holster and an LCP in my back pocket in a wallet holster are two of my choices depending on dress and depending on where I am going. I will often have both.

John 15:13

#3169848 - 02/19/13 03:52 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: Unicam]
gasman
8 Point

Loc: South of the Hatchie

.357 mag 2 1/2" barrel.... Only 6 shots but IT DON'T JAM. Fires everytime I pull the trigger.

Hunt Hard. Pray Harder.

#3169870 - 02/19/13 04:17 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: Hunter 257W]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I had never even seriously considered carrying a handgun until recently so didn't know where to start in chosing a gun either. I did know that it had to be something small enough that I would actually carry it even in hot weather when I would have no extra clothes to cover it up. To me, this means something that fits in my pocket period. I also wanted something with substantial power rather than some dinky little pop gun. I ended up getting a Kahr PM 40. It meets the "fits in your pocket" requirement to a "T". It meets the "Substantial Power" too. Reliability is where I'm still struggling. I've only shot it about 50 times but I think the Federal 180 gr Hpts I bought are a definite "No Go" with this particular gun. Out of 3 magazines yesterday I had probably 6 or 7 failures - mostly to feed from the mag. It even slammed a couple or more Federal 180gr flatnose FMJ's into the bottom of the feed ramp and jamed. So far it has fed about 15 Estate brand 180gr Flatnose FMJ's perfectly. Of course these subcompacts all require some breaking in so I'm not throwing in the towel until I've shot 250 or so rounds.

The idea of a hammerless revolver has crossed my mind. Simplicity and reliability are guaranteed with a revolver - plus they don't scatter your brass all over the county. \:\)

You guys have given me a good idea here with having a warm weather and cold weather gun. I already have a couple of 1911's that would be perfect for colder weather. But if this Kahr don't pan out, I've still got to work on the warm weather part.

Go to your local gun store with the biggest inventory. Pick up every pistol in their shop to figure out which one suits your hand the best. Rent as many as you can to narrow down which of those is your preferred shooter. After that, you may only have 3 to pick from. Your choice at that point should be based on ease of carry, price, and availability of holsters for that specific pistol.

If you find yourself between a Glock 22 and a Steyr A-1, you should probably go with the Glock, even if it doesn't quite suit you as well as the Steyr. You'll never have trouble finding a holster for the Glock. Most folks have never heard of a Steyr.

#3169910 - 02/19/13 04:53 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: TAFKAP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I had never even seriously considered carrying a handgun until recently so didn't know where to start in chosing a gun either. I did know that it had to be something small enough that I would actually carry it even in hot weather when I would have no extra clothes to cover it up. To me, this means something that fits in my pocket period. I also wanted something with substantial power rather than some dinky little pop gun. I ended up getting a Kahr PM 40. It meets the "fits in your pocket" requirement to a "T". It meets the "Substantial Power" too. Reliability is where I'm still struggling. I've only shot it about 50 times but I think the Federal 180 gr Hpts I bought are a definite "No Go" with this particular gun. Out of 3 magazines yesterday I had probably 6 or 7 failures - mostly to feed from the mag. It even slammed a couple or more Federal 180gr flatnose FMJ's into the bottom of the feed ramp and jamed. So far it has fed about 15 Estate brand 180gr Flatnose FMJ's perfectly. Of course these subcompacts all require some breaking in so I'm not throwing in the towel until I've shot 250 or so rounds.

The idea of a hammerless revolver has crossed my mind. Simplicity and reliability are guaranteed with a revolver - plus they don't scatter your brass all over the county. \:\)

You guys have given me a good idea here with having a warm weather and cold weather gun. I already have a couple of 1911's that would be perfect for colder weather. But if this Kahr don't pan out, I've still got to work on the warm weather part.

Go to your local gun store with the biggest inventory. Pick up every pistol in their shop to figure out which one suits your hand the best. Rent as many as you can to narrow down which of those is your preferred shooter. After that, you may only have 3 to pick from. Your choice at that point should be based on ease of carry, price, and availability of holsters for that specific pistol.

If you find yourself between a Glock 22 and a Steyr A-1, you should probably go with the Glock, even if it doesn't quite suit you as well as the Steyr. You'll never have trouble finding a holster for the Glock. Most folks have never heard of a Steyr.

Well, I already did that and left with the Kahr PM40 which hasn't demonstrated much in the way of reliability at this point. I love shooting it but if it don't feed, it's worthless.

If after a reasonable "break-in" it still won't shoot, I'll do just what you said and head back to the gunshop. I looked that Steyr S-A1 up on line and while I've heard that Steyr makes good guns, it's signficantly larger than the Kahr I have and this Kahr is about as large as I can see really being a true "Pocket" pistol. The same goes for the Glock 22. Both are huge compared to the Kahr.

Maybe you have to go to a "Dinky little popgun" to have a reliable true pocket gun?? Who knows, I may end up with a Ruger LCP. I'm not saying that I won't. What I won't do is buy another large handgun that I can't truly carry in hot weather.

Edited by Hunter 257W (02/19/13 04:58 PM)

#3170674 - 02/20/13 11:08 AM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: Hunter 257W]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

99% of FTE errors are on the shooter, not the gun. To my reasonable knowledge, there's no such thing as a "break-in" period. I think it's more a user break-in than a gun break-in. My dad is having the same issue with his Glock 17. But it only FTE for him....as does every other pistol he's shooting.

Next time you go to the range, shoot your Kahr. Pull the trigger once every thirty seconds, concentrating every effort on keeping your elbow and wrist locked. I highly suspect that you will notice a dramatic decrease in the number of FTE episodes.

#3170700 - 02/20/13 11:29 AM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: TAFKAP]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I really like my Walther PPS in 9mm for an IWB carry piece. For the back pocket, most people like the Ruger LCP but I actually found the Taurus TCP to fit my hand better and seems less "snappy" when shooting it. I know some people are not fond of Taurus pistols in general and there have been a few models (not the TCP) that consistently have had problems. My TCP has been flawless in operation with FMJ and 3 different brands of HP ammo.
#3171006 - 02/20/13 04:38 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: TAFKAP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
99% of FTE errors are on the shooter, not the gun. To my reasonable knowledge, there's no such thing as a "break-in" period. I think it's more a user break-in than a gun break-in. My dad is having the same issue with his Glock 17. But it only FTE for him....as does every other pistol he's shooting.

Next time you go to the range, shoot your Kahr. Pull the trigger once every thirty seconds, concentrating every effort on keeping your elbow and wrist locked. I highly suspect that you will notice a dramatic decrease in the number of FTE episodes.

I know what you are saying about autoloaders. If the shooter is absorbing too much of the slide energy, it will cause trouble. What bothers me about this gun though is that it seems to want to slam the cartridge into the base of the feed ramp and jam that way. I've found some video's on YouTube about it. Now I'm always skeptical about these yahoos that get on the internet and cry wolf but I have to admit that I am experiencing what they are talking about to a significant degree. The 2nd round in the magazine doesn't want to sit tilted at the same angle as the follower and also the magazine lips but rather it wants to "lay" down perfectly horizontal. About 2/3 of the time each round does tilt upward to match the follower angle as it becomes the top round each time the gun fires. That other 1/3 of the time, the cartridge stays horizontal and does not tip upward on the front end. This results in the bullet slaming into the bottom of the feed ramp and it jams. I'm not real optimistic about that being caused by a loose hold.

And Kahr does say that a 200 round break in is required. I've read that about all the micro guns.....again, not sure that's going to fix this problem I'm having. Normally, I'd just try a lot of different bullets to see what shape works best with this particular feed ramp but if it's not even hitting the ramp in the right place not sure about that. Oh, well, I'm going to keep shooting and working with it for a while. I got it cheap enough that I think I can get my money back if I want to.

#3171302 - 02/20/13 08:46 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: Hunter 257W]
CountryBoy053
8 Point

Loc: Blount Co., TN

For winter carry I do my Springfield XD .40. Other times of the year Ive got a Taurus Millenium Pro. Great shooting little gun, conseals very easily. Thinking of getting a XDs .45, but not sure yet.
Definatly buying me and the lady either Ruger LCP or Taurus TCP. I'd love something to throw in the back pocket (in the wallet holster)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice

#3171303 - 02/20/13 08:46 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: CountryBoy053]
CountryBoy053
8 Point

Loc: Blount Co., TN

Also have been looking for a good hammerless .38 revolver.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice

#3171321 - 02/20/13 09:01 PM Re: carry weapon choices [Re: Jon]
SPickle
6 Point

Loc: dandridge

content Online
I carry a Ruger LC9

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (landman, ClubHead, easy45, striperhunter90, kasey, Vermin93, 9 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85365 Topics
1031491 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.267 seconds in which 0.025 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.