Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3163898 - 02/14/13 12:33 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: Outdoor life]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
 Originally Posted By: MidTennFisher
Since it's so close to TTU, it's a nice break from studying to go out with the flyrod and have fun with bluegill and small bass (even found white bass in there). I hear there are huge bass in there but I don't know. I did work the bank one night before a front was coming in with a crankbait and caught 5 LM bass in about an hour all in the 1-2lb range. I've tried it since, with the same crankbait, a few times and been skunked each time. I don't get that place. This time of the year you might even find a striper in there believe it or not. People throw them in there and they survive until it gets too warm.

I've heard a the striper being thrown in their as well. Also Cane Creek has very large redear sunfish. Now if you want to go to a place that has big bass, but wont hardly hit anything, go to City Lake...there are some monster LMB in there.

I know for a fact there are 9 lb plus in there! \:D

John 15:13

#3164037 - 02/14/13 03:00 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: MidTennFisher]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

Originally Posted By: Outdoor life

I've heard a the striper being thrown in their as well. Also Cane Creek has very large redear sunfish. Now if you want to go to a place that has big bass, but wont hardly hit anything, go to City Lake...there are some monster LMB in there.

I have witnessed feeding activity that looked too fierce to be a bass so that's when I got suspicious. I talked to the Wildlife Fisheries people at TTU, the ones that to shock treatment and netting to keep tabs on what and how many of what is in bodies of water. They confirmed that they've found stripers in there and suspect people dumping them in.

City Lake is actually a good place to fish? I looked at that place right where you pull in and the water looked really shallow and filled with moss. Can you tell me where is a better place to fish from the bank? I may give it a shot this weekend.

I am one of those wildlife/fisheries graduates from TTU \:\) When I helped do alittle electrofishing there, all we found was LMB, Bluegill, Redear Sunfish...of course we only shocked and netted the shallow water around the bank. But many fish get dumped in there, so who knows all what is in there.

Walk across the road to a rocky area around City Lake and cast towards the bridge. For a class at Tech. we once electrofished parts of City Lake as well, but with a boat. And we got some monster carp, and many bass, and I saw atleast 3 that was over 7 pounds, and one was pushing 9 or 10 easily (all around the bridge)....but those bass are HARD to catch.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3164379 - 02/14/13 08:37 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: Outdoor life]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Thanks. I read somewhere about a spillway that feeds into the lake that can be good to fish in. I'll try the lake again when I can get a few hours away from studying. I'd like to find some good fishing around Cookeville besides the Caney, I don't always have the time to drive out there. If you can give me any tips I'd appreciate it, you may know more than me since you were in WFS.

#3164515 - 02/14/13 11:01 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: MidTennFisher]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Thanks. I read somewhere about a spillway that feeds into the lake that can be good to fish in. I'll try the lake again when I can get a few hours away from studying. I'd like to find some good fishing around Cookeville besides the Caney, I don't always have the time to drive out there. If you can give me any tips I'd appreciate it, you may know more than me since you were in WFS.

Well if you want trout, the Caney is the best place to go. But for warm water fish try Blackburn Fork, Flynns Lick Creek, and Roaring River up in Jackson County...I know plenty of places around here, so when I go, it's an all day thing if I have the time.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3164523 - 02/14/13 11:28 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: Outdoor life]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

I just google mapped those, I'm interested in fishing Blackburn Fork and Roaring River. Are they wadeable? It's a short enough drive that I'd love to explore the area with a flyrod for a few hours. Looking at it on google maps, there are a lot of dry spots and pools, is this a seasonal creek or is it always wadeable and holding fish?

Is it too narrow to flyfish in? I don't want to be getting hung in trees all day and loosing flies. If that's the case I could head there with my ultralight gear and probably have some fun. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Small creek fishing is something I've always wanted to pursue but being a Senior in Electrical Engineering doesn't give me much time to explore so I fish what I know... Caney Fork River and that crappy pond at Cane Creek.

#3164531 - 02/14/13 11:56 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: MidTennFisher]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Roaring River at times gets dry on the other side of the rock dam, but with the rain here lately, the water levels are up, and perfect (as of 3 days ago when I drove by it). Spring Creek road heading North is seasonal, but the bridge going south until Blackburn Fork runs into it is great most of the time. Ultralight will be great for Roaring River, cause many places do have trees close by.
Blackburn Fork is perfect for ultralight and flyfishing (where I go anyway around a mile or 2 above where it enters Roaring River) it gets low but always wadeable and hold big rock bass, and many mid size smallmouth. Oh and many striped shiners (I've caught so many there). Now the part of Blackburn Fork around The Grade has to be utlralight, but has some great sunfish and rock bass.
One day you may meet me....Blackburn Fork is my alltime favorite creek to fish and wade in.

#3164960 - 02/15/13 11:38 AM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: Outdoor life]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Thanks so much for your tips! I'm going to try it for a few hours on Tuesday if the weather permits, looks like I've got some exploring to do.

#3165084 - 02/15/13 01:16 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: Unicam]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Unicam
I know for a fact there are 9 lb plus in there! \:D

Yep, I've seen them too...I just haven't been the lucky one to catch one.

#3165089 - 02/15/13 01:18 PM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: MidTennFisher]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Thanks so much for your tips! I'm going to try it for a few hours on Tuesday if the weather permits, looks like I've got some exploring to do.

No problem at all!!

#3167101 - 02/17/13 10:09 AM Re: 2/7/13 Cane Creek Park Fishing [Re: Outdoor life]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

There are albino channels in Roaring River, upstream from the dam a mile or so and farther. Spent a ton of time on that river back in the late 70's and early 80's. Caught a lot of nice smallmouth wading there.

If you want to see some huge largemouth, City Lake during the spawn will make you foam at the mouth. There was an older guy that fished it back in the day. He said live spring lizards was the ticket.

Edited by Hangnail (02/17/13 10:12 AM)

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
136 registered (DntBrnDPig, crflash, Thicketmaster, coltsfan, mossyhorns300, tc 308, 11 invisible) and 169 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96552 Topics
1130573 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.