Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3163884 - 02/14/13 12:22 PM Re: Big Changes in Ohio Season [Re: The_Utility_Dude]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Originally Posted By: The_Utility_Dude
I've hunted Ohio the last few years and they are not reducing the number of "firearms" days. They used to have a week long shotgun season around the 1st of Dec. then a two day shotgun season around Christmas, then a 4 day muzzleloader season in early Jan.

It looks like they are eliminating the bonus gun season around Christmas and moving those days to an early season muzzleloader season (antlerless only). This should lower the antlerless population.

They eliminated the old early muzzleloader season. (It was only on 3 public hunting grounds).

The big thing I see is they are going to a County by County bag limit. I suspect they will lower the bag in some counties and leave it relatively high in the counties that have higher deer numbers.

FYI: In the county I hunt, they would ROUTINELY kill 5000 to 6000 deer on the shotgun hunt (That's ONE week of hunting) and somewhere around 1000 to 1500 on the 4 day muzzleloader season. They don't mess around up there during firearms days. The season totals are usually 8000 to 9000 including archery.

I usually see more deer on the 4 day muzzleloader season in January than I would typically see in two seasons hunting various counties in TN. My Tennessee hunting includes unit L.
I guess they don't have time to mess around and not take it serious.With that few hunting days,you better get out and hunt and hunt your butt off when season is open..LOL

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3164975 - 02/15/13 11:49 AM Re: Big Changes in Ohio Season [Re: cecil30-30]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
I've hunted Ohio the last few years and they are not reducing the number of "firearms" days. They used to have a week long shotgun season around the 1st of Dec. then a two day shotgun season around Christmas, then a 4 day muzzleloader season in early Jan.

It looks like they are eliminating the bonus gun season around Christmas and moving those days to an early season muzzleloader season (antlerless only). This should lower the antlerless population.

They eliminated the old early muzzleloader season. (It was only on 3 public hunting grounds).

The big thing I see is they are going to a County by County bag limit. I suspect they will lower the bag in some counties and leave it relatively high in the counties that have higher deer numbers.

FYI: In the county I hunt, they would ROUTINELY kill 5000 to 6000 deer on the shotgun hunt (That's ONE week of hunting) and somewhere around 1000 to 1500 on the 4 day muzzleloader season. They don't mess around up there during firearms days. The season totals are usually 8000 to 9000 including archery.

I usually see more deer on the 4 day muzzleloader season in January than I would typically see in two seasons hunting various counties in TN. My Tennessee hunting includes unit L.
I guess they don't have time to mess around and not take it serious.With that few hunting days,you better get out and hunt and hunt your butt off when season is open..LOL

When your passing up 120 and 130's within bow range. You got all the time in the world for a big 4.5 year old buck. It's a bow hunting paradise up there and I love hunting there

#3164997 - 02/15/13 12:11 PM Re: Big Changes in Ohio Season [Re: hunter drew]
Bow Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro Tn.

So do I.

#3165015 - 02/15/13 12:28 PM Re: Big Changes in Ohio Season [Re: Bow Hunter]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I hunted there for the first time last year and loved it. I like what they are doing with the new regs.

#3165404 - 02/15/13 06:21 PM Re: Big Changes in Ohio Season [Re: hunter drew]
The_Utility_Dude
8 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: hunter drew
 Originally Posted By: cecil30-30

When your passing up 120 and 130's within bow range. You got all the time in the world for a big 4.5 year old buck. It's a bow hunting paradise up there and I love hunting there

A friend of mine who has hunted almost all the mid-western states told me several years ago,"If you don't want to stop hunting Tennessee, don't ever go hunting in a mid-western state" . I know what he meant now.

I still hunt Tennessee but there is NO COMPARISON. I've never hunted the shotgun season so I can't speak about that, but hunting unpressured deer even into the late season is pretty cool. Even in January, deer walking around like they've never seen a hunter before.

#3165827 - 02/16/13 07:24 AM Re: Big Changes in Ohio Season [Re: The_Utility_Dude]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

Hunter Drew/ The Utility Dude

You guys are spot on!

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (NICHOLS3, Dbllunger, Bucket, grizzlylongcut, TNlandowner, sure shot, 12 invisible) and 131 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85156 Topics
1029147 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.