Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3163784 - 02/14/13 11:03 AM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: cecil30-30]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
I hope TN never legalizes it.As another member said on baiting,i'd hate to have to feel the need to compete with a nieghbor and have to put out corn of my own..
Was probably me,and it would suck,especially at $11 bucks or so a bag.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3163829 - 02/14/13 11:28 AM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: Football Hunter]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

ill never waste my money on it. food plots, mineral sites, and natural food works way way way better then just a pile of corn. where you will see the biggest change and success over corn will be with turkeys. but i highly doubt they will legalize it for turkeys. to me i just don't see why they don't go ahead and legalize it, enough people do it now and ive even seen it on public land when squirrel hunting. i don't see it hurting anyone really. that's just my opinion.

#3163891 - 02/14/13 12:23 PM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: deerhunter10]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
ill never waste my money on it. food plots, mineral sites, and natural food works way way way better then just a pile of corn. where you will see the biggest change and success over corn will be with turkeys. but i highly doubt they will legalize it for turkeys. to me i just don't see why they don't go ahead and legalize it, enough people do it now and ive even seen it on public land when squirrel hunting. i don't see it hurting anyone really. that's just my opinion.
Do you report it when you find it? I make it a point to report it.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3163951 - 02/14/13 01:37 PM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: cecil30-30]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

no I didn't at the time that was like 4 or 5 years ago. if I saw it now I would for sure. it was on yanahlli id be honest I don't even know if I could get back to that spot. but I would for sure if I saw it again.

#3164429 - 02/14/13 09:27 PM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: deerhunter10]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Not baiting in TN. Love it or leave it, fellas. Love it or leave it.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3164784 - 02/15/13 09:23 AM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: Poser]
Happy Birthday Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

The use of bait for deer hunting is one reason south carolina does not have a fall turkey season.

"Third, hunting deer with bait is unrestricted in the 28 county coastal plain of the state and baiting deer is a practice that is not only common, it is the norm. It is unlawful to hunt turkeys with the use or aid of bait and hunters understand that deer bait must be removed prior to the spring turkey season. Killing turkeys indiscriminately and with bait was a primary cause for the decline in turkey numbers by the 1940s. Not only would the presence of deer bait during a fall turkey season be a dilemma from a law enforcement standpoint, to open a fall turkey season when deer baiting is ongoing and not expect turkeys to be shot over bait is simply not realistic. "

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/fallseason.html

People need to keep in mind that allowing baiting for deer will have an impact on fall turkey hunting. Are we willing to give up a fall season the way South Carolina did? They tried it and realized baiting for deer was problematic. It is one reason they do not have a fall season now.

Edited by Diehard Hunter (02/15/13 09:23 AM)

#3164933 - 02/15/13 11:26 AM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

South Carolina had a fall turkey season back in the 1980s.

North Carolina also had a winter turkey season for a few years and they allow baiting for almost everything but turkeys.

The problem North Carolina is having with baiting apparently is with bears.

It is not legal to bait bears in NC but is is legal to bait deer.

Edited by Doskil (02/15/13 11:29 AM)

#3165001 - 02/15/13 12:13 PM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: Doskil]
Happy Birthday Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Doskil
South Carolina had a fall turkey season back in the 1980s.

North Carolina also had a winter turkey season for a few years and they allow baiting for almost everything but turkeys.

The problem North Carolina is having with baiting apparently is with bears.

It is not legal to bait bears in NC but is is legal to bait deer.

Did you read the link from SCDNR? They listed baiting for deer as one of the reasons for abandoning the fall turkey season. When they had the fall turkey season, they closed deer season during the turkey hunts as well. Bottom line, the baiting for deer caused problems for the turkey hunting.

Bears are another concern. Bears, like turkeys, are very susceptible to baiting. How would a state manage those regs? Close deer hunting during bear season? Allow baiting up to a certain before bear season then stop it until after bear season? Have that apply only to counties that have a bear season?

To big a can of worms from a regulatory stand point....as also pointed out in the article from the SCDNR.

#3165201 - 02/15/13 03:22 PM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

They had a fall turkey season a few years ago in the counties where baiting is illegal.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#3165205 - 02/15/13 03:31 PM Re: South Carolina close to legalizing baiting [Re: deerhunter10]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
just legalize it.

Are we still talking about baiting?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
87 registered (WGK, Bucky, huntintn, wayne, TNRifleman, GOODWIN, 15 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93403 Topics
1090578 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.105 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.