Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3164448 - 02/14/13 09:36 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN RDG RNR]
pcrc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Easiest way to seperate tie rod ends is to apply pressure upwards with one hand while smacking the flat side of the steering arm squarely with a ball peen hammer. That will release the tapered friction fit of the end. May take a few blows but they will release and best thing is it wont ruin the boot like a pickle fork will or damage the threads by trying to beat on it straight up in case you want to reuse them if you find ut they are not worn. That tie rod end is not bent it is just tipped over, grab it with your hand and it will probably twist back into an upright position. Grab ahold of them and see if they have any play or looseness and also look at them while someone else is turning the wheel back and forth and see if there is any shifting of the tie rod where it goes into the steering arm. There should be no wobble when the wheel are starting to turn.
#3164538 - 02/15/13 12:07 AM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: pcrc]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Will add that my truck really vibrates/ shakes bad at 65MPH i stay under that because it gets bad

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#3164573 - 02/15/13 04:48 AM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
pcrc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

If it shakes in the steering wheel it is in the front end. If it shakes in the seat look towards the rear of the truck for the issue, driveshaft. I would say a REALLY bad shake in the front end would more than likely be tire related.
#3164678 - 02/15/13 07:38 AM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: pcrc]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

I would also check your tires they could be out of balance or rub your hand around the tread if you can feel any flat spots your struts are probably shot.

Like I said before for no more money than it would be and according the mileage on your truck Id rework the whole front suspension and rear shocks.

keep me posted interested to seee what you find.

#3164685 - 02/15/13 07:47 AM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TNDeerGuy]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

Assuming that the measurement of the new versus the old is exactly the same, the thread count is exactly the same and assuming that the alignment was within specs to begin with. \:\) I would have it checked after I replaced them regardless, and if it's within tolerances then it's within tolerancesócheap insurance to make sure you don't have to replace tires prematurely.

Have it checked? Check it yourself, and if there are no abnormal tire wear, pull, or handling issues - it's fine.

#3164721 - 02/15/13 08:37 AM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: -DRM-]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

Assuming that the measurement of the new versus the old is exactly the same, the thread count is exactly the same and assuming that the alignment was within specs to begin with. \:\) I would have it checked after I replaced them regardless, and if it's within tolerances then it's within tolerancesócheap insurance to make sure you don't have to replace tires prematurely.

Have it checked? Check it yourself, and if there are no abnormal tire wear, pull, or handling issues - it's fine.

Not neccesarily.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just helpful, with over 20 years in the industry, but if anyone holds the ability to be able to check alignment specs by "eye-balling it", then that person could make millions in the auto and racing industry. What if both wheels are toed-in, or toed-out, and have just got to the point where adverse tire wear was just beginning, but not visually evident? In most cases, it wouldn't cause a pull, and the average driver most certainly would have no clue what to feel for.

If I had a dollar for every person that brought a car to me over the years that swore that everything alignment related was fine (no pulling/no tire wear) and when I put the Hunter sensor array on the wheels and pulled the specs it showed different, I would be a very filthy rich man. Most places will either check alignment for free, or only charge a fraction of an actual alignment and apply that cost if it was out of specs. Like I said, it is cheap insurance, against the cost of new tires, if indeed it is out.

#3164740 - 02/15/13 08:51 AM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
Will add that my truck really vibrates/ shakes bad at 65MPH i stay under that because it gets bad

Only in the most extreme cases, have I ever seen suspension parts create a vibration. Without looking at it, I believe your problem is more tire/wheel related. What speed do you start noticing the vibration, does the vibration go away at a certain speed and are you feeling the vibration more in the steering wheel or in your legs/backside? Does the vibration go away when you are coasting? Some of the most common culprits that come to mind when dealing with highway speed vibrations are: out of balance tires, bent/out of round wheel, out of round tire and irregular wear pattern in tires.

#3165044 - 02/15/13 12:56 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TNDeerGuy]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Ok guys after inspection my u joint that meets the rear differential is bad replacing both today or tomorrow

#3165051 - 02/15/13 01:01 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
Ok guys after inspection my u joint that meets the rear differential is bad replacing both today or tomorrow

That will certainly cause a vibration, especially under acceleration. Glad you found it and your getting it fixed.

#3165098 - 02/15/13 01:27 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TNDeerGuy]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

That tie rod though sure doesnt look good tilting back.....it wont move back straight

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (plinker22, MBG, Stk_Um_N_The_Vitals, M00SE, Ken45, jbird, 1 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95795 Topics
1121473 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.