#3164157 - 02/14/13 04:55 PM Suspenion/Steering Question
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

This is my left tie rod

This my right tie rod.....its tilted back as if its bent

Are these hard to change

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#3164166 - 02/14/13 05:09 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

not that tough. you will probably need a puller, worst case a torch to heat it up a little, pipe wrench and a big hammer. Id check those upper and lower ball joints while I was in there fairly inexpensive parts that also wear out.

hope it goes smooth for you \:\)

#3164176 - 02/14/13 05:21 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
whatnoise
6 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Outer tie rods aren't hard to replace. Start spraying everything with penetrating oil a few times for a couple days before you replace them. Hardest part will be separating the joint at the knuckle. Big hammer will probably pop them out, if not a pickle fork, or a separator rented from autozone. Mark the threads on the tireods as best you can to get the new ones as close as possible to keep from changing you toe too much. You should get an alignment afterwards. Check rockauto.com or if you have an Advanced Auto in your area order online with coupon codes and pick them up in the store.

#3164179 - 02/14/13 05:22 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN RDG RNR]
whatnoise
6 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: TN RDG RNR
Id check those upper and lower ball joints while I was in there fairly inexpensive parts that also wear out.

Good idea...at the very least clean those grease fittings and add some grease.

#3164190 - 02/14/13 05:45 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: whatnoise]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

Won't do anygood to grease that left one with the boot busted like that. Replace them, it's simple

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3164305 - 02/14/13 07:28 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN RDG RNR]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Originally Posted By: TN RDG RNR
not that tough. you will probably need a puller, worst case a torch to heat it up a little, pipe wrench and a big hammer. Id check those upper and lower ball joints while I was in there fairly inexpensive parts that also wear out.

How do you know if upper or lower ball joints are worn?

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#3164366 - 02/14/13 08:25 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
CR500AFX
6 Point

Loc: ANDERSON CO.

If you change anything, an alignment will need to be performed. I could give you instructions on how to check each suspension wear component. But, the easiest thing to to is take it to a reputable alignment shop for an alignment. They will check everything before performing an alignment. If they are reputable, they will not do the alignment but will tell you to replace certain parts before they can align the vehicle.

If you want instructions to check all components, just PM me.

#3164380 - 02/14/13 08:39 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: CR500AFX]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

If you are just changing the outer tie rods, there is no need to pay for an alignment when you are a tape measure can put it right back where it was.

Other than the busted boot, are they actually worn and in need of changing?

#3164406 - 02/14/13 09:04 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: -DRM-]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: -DRM-
If you are just changing the outer tie rods, there is no need to pay for an alignment when you are a tape measure can put it right back where it was.

Other than the busted boot, are they actually worn and in need of changing?

Assuming that the measurement of the new versus the old is exactly the same, the thread count is exactly the same and assuming that the alignment was within specs to begin with. \:\) I would have it checked after I replaced them regardless, and if it's within tolerances then it's within tolerancesócheap insurance to make sure you don't have to replace tires prematurely.

#3164411 - 02/14/13 09:10 PM Re: Suspenion/Steering Question [Re: -DRM-]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

1.Listen to the suspension Listen to the sound of your suspension while you're driving around. If you hear any abnormal bumping, rattling, clunking or scraping coming from the front end, it could indicate your suspension is having problems, which could mean your ball joints are worn out.

2.Look under the car at the ball joints under the steering knuckle. Some suspensions have an upper and lower ball joint. The lower joint takes more abuse and usually wears out first. Check if the rubber boots on the joints are in one piece. If they are torn or gone, the joint probably needs replacing. If there is excessive lubricant leaking from the joint, you might only need to replace the rubber cover. Also look for rust dust that would indicate metal on metal friction.

3.Test the steering and suspension If you can't tell simply by looking at the joints, you'll have to get under there and fiddle around. Jack the front end of the vehicle up and secure the car on stands. Try to move the joint around with your hands, there shouldn't be any play if the joint is in good condition. Turn the steering wheel side to side and feel for any excessive or choppy movement. Move the wheels by hand to see how they feel too. Try pushing and pulling on the wheels to feel for any give. If the wheels move around too much, your ball joint probably needs replacing.

Best advice I could give you is google the make and model of vehicle ball joints..tie rod end replacement ect.. youtube generally has step by step video that would be worth looking at before you start,

I just completely reworked my entire suspension, upper and lower ball joints, shocks and struts, tie rod ends and sway bar link pins. My link pins were almost completely rusted into.

I can barely even spell mechanic and was able to do this pretty much by info I got on the net,

Advanced Auto has specialized tools you can borrow. You may need a Ball Point Joint Separator (pickle fork) and pitman arm remover or puller.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
35 registered (dhj, Dbllunger, Nealmeally, Mr.Bro, dogman, Stumpy, 4 invisible) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069312 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.