Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3164308 - 02/14/13 07:30 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

BSK-that deer on the right is huge! I bet hunters would be shocked at how many 150+ deer dwell in the TN nights. I definately don't think anyone should expect to kill one but they are out there.

In your opinion (maybe you have coller data on this) what are those monster bucks doing in the day? It's amazing how they can just "disappear"

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3164329 - 02/14/13 07:46 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Master Chief]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
BSK-that deer on the right is huge! I bet hunters would be shocked at how many 150+ deer dwell in the TN nights. I definately don't think anyone should expect to kill one but they are out there.

In your opinion (maybe you have coller data on this) what are those monster bucks doing in the day? It's amazing how they can just "disappear"
my guess is they are bedded in thickets and watching you walk by or slipping out before you can see them.

#3164359 - 02/14/13 08:16 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: catman529]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

I agree, there may be a few in spots,but I will never believe there are many anywhere. As for the deer on the right, he is a stud. You have to be where a 150 is to take one. Killing one isnt hard at all, getting the opportunity, the few seconds it takes is what is almost impossible. Believe me, I can tell you all about it.

Edited by tickweed (02/14/13 08:17 PM)

#3164369 - 02/14/13 08:27 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: tickweed]
Master Chief
10 Point

Originally Posted By: tickweed
I agree, there may be a few in spots,but I will never believe there are many anywhere. As for the deer on the right, he is a stud. You have to be where a 150 is to take one. Killing one isnt hard at all, getting the opportunity, the few seconds it takes is what is almost impossible. Believe me, I can tell you all about it.

Yeah.. getting lucky enough to actually see one in the stand is one thing.. seeing one in the right situation is a true rarity.

#3164375 - 02/14/13 08:34 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Master Chief]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

Originally Posted By: tickweed

Yeah.. getting lucky enough to actually see one in the stand is one thing.. seeing one in the right situation is a true rarity.

I was thinking back on it. In 16 yrs of deer hunting ive seen 2 deer better than 150 with a weapon in my hand in Tennessee.

#3164387 - 02/14/13 08:45 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: nate17]
Master Chief
10 Point

I've seen one while hunting (I'm only 17 so I am blessed to have already even seen one) You've seen the pic Nate. Couldve killed that deer but I had my 30-30 and he was standing right in front of me at 300yrds broadside

#3164513 - 02/14/13 10:56 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Master Chief]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I've seen one while hunting (I'm only 17 so I am blessed to have already even seen one) You've seen the pic Nate. Couldve killed that deer but I had my 30-30 and he was standing right in front of me at 300yrds broadside
just aim 20 inches high \:D

#3164749 - 02/15/13 08:58 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Hollar Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Hollar Hunter
I see quite a few 140's in the basin every year driving around looking at bucks during the summer waiting on season but there certainly is a BIG BIG drop off when you start talking about 150+ bucks.

Not only is there a big drop over 150 in the Basin (which is where that video was shot), but move out of the Basin and the number of 150+ bucks drops VERY dramatically. The Basin grows huge bucks because of the soils and habitat. Most areas outside of the Basin have much poorer soils and habitat, hence same-age bucks don't grow as large of antlers. Although, to be honest, areas down in Lawrence and adjoining counties is coming on strong for very large-antlered bucks, which is still technically in the Basin, but outside the "traditional" areas for huge bucks.

Quote:
I do believe that spot above has seen a lot of development in the past few years. Does it still hold them like it use to?

Yup, see them every year. In fact, while helping run some of the thermal imaging work the TWRA was doing, I saw some real monsters at night. But again, primarily in the Basin (those areas with a perfect mix of soils, agriculture, and sanctuary from hunting pressure that allows bucks to age).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3164759 - 02/15/13 09:03 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Couldve killed that deer but I had my 30-30 and he was standing right in front of me at 300yrds broadside

And that's usually the way it works! Those posted images are fuzzy because that video was shot at full zoom with a 45-power optical lens! Those bucks were waaaaaaay out there...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3164771 - 02/15/13 09:14 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Once they start running trail-cameras, most hunters are shocked by "what is really out there" but only moving at night (or easily able to avoid hunters). Now 150+ bucks are rare, but they exist, and there are probably more of them than hunters would believe. Even in the poorer habitat of the Highland Rim, I usually find a near 150 buck on camera just about anywhere I run cameras in that region. But usually, just one out of all the bucks caught on camera. The exception to this rule is anywhere in the Highland Rim near one of the major river bottomlands, like along the Duck and Buffalo rivers. I have a client near the Duck River in Hickman County, and on about 800 acres, he had pictures of at least 5 bucks that would push the 150 mark this last year. The difference on his place is, hundreds of acres of soybean fields, and little hunting pressure.

Quote:

First, they are highly nocturnal. Second, they have learned to quickly pattern hunters and during daylight are avoiding the areas where hunters do most of their hunting. Old, wary, hunted deer are amazingly adapt at finding the "holes" in human hunting pressure, and focusing their daylight activities into just these areas.

Dr. Mark Conner has some really cool GPS-collar data from the DelMarVa Penninsula showing the daylight movement of older bucks. These daylight GPS positions, when displayed on a map, have big "holes" in them (areas the older bucks are avoiding during daylight). And what's at the center of each of these holes? A treestand.

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
73 registered (monsterbuck07, Snake, JACO0334, eweisner, dh1984, devo1980, 8 invisible) and 139 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88141 Topics
1032600 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.237 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.