Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 20 « First<56789>Last »
Topic Options
#3163724 - 02/14/13 10:08 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: deerhunter10]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

What's this 11 buck limit that I see mentioned here now and then? I started deer hunting in the late 1970's and I don't recall that. Unless you are counting all the bucks you could kill if you hunted WMA's all over the state?? Maybe that's it? I don't recall ever having a statewide 11 buck limit othewise.
#3163806 - 02/14/13 11:15 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Archery, muzzleloader, and gun seasons total kill limits were 11 bucks/year prior to the reduction in the limits. I was glad to see the reduction myself. I think then and particularly now, that some people kill what the limit allows not neccessarily because they want them but because they can. There are many that don't take the limit now and I attribute our present buck numbers to them and the reduction in the former 11 limit. I like seeing bucks while hunting and the more that walk from one year to the next the greater the opportunity of connecting with some of those that fall into my catagory of shooters.

I would be just as happy with a 2 buck limit but am satisfied with our current 3 buck limit.

#3163996 - 02/14/13 02:22 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Mike Belt]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Guess I need to start taking those Ginkgo Biloba pills more regularly because I just don't recall it ever being that high. \:\)

Yeah, 11 bucks is crazy. A lot of hunters want to say they "limited" out I guess. I like venison - but not that much. If I had to eat 11 deer in a year, I'd be crying for a ribeye by the end of the year! Based on the small number who actually shoot 3 bucks now though, I wonder how many shot significanlty more than 3 back then? I'd guess there weren't that many. IF the one who did try to shoot 11 was your neighbor though, it would have a real impact.

#3164009 - 02/14/13 02:37 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Hunter 257W]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Guess I need to start taking those Ginkgo Biloba pills more regularly because I just don't recall it ever being that high. \:\)

Yeah, 11 bucks is crazy. A lot of hunters want to say they "limited" out I guess. I like venison - but not that much. If I had to eat 11 deer in a year, I'd be crying for a ribeye by the end of the year! Based on the small number who actually shoot 3 bucks now though, I wonder how many shot significanlty more than 3 back then? I'd guess there weren't that many. IF the one who did try to shoot 11 was your neighbor though, it would have a real impact.

The buck limit in Wayne County was 19 not counting quota hunts for most of my hunting years when I was a kid. 4 bow, 4 rifle, 3 muzzleloader, and 8 Eagle Creek nonquota (2 day) hunts with 1 buck each. I've known folks that have come close to the 19 buck limit, but they basically had a waiting list of families wanting deer meat.

#3165815 - 02/16/13 07:17 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: landman]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Originally Posted By: landman
 Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
Give one sound biological reason for a lower buck limit. How will it improve the health of the heard?

Health of the herd?

So If the herd is better this way why are we seeing more out breaks
of EHD in TN, this was 2 out of the last 5.

But do you thing the State of TN Deer are in better health than 10-15 years ago?

I don't care if they go to 1 or better yet, earn a buck tag, kill
a doe before you can kill every buck, sounds good to me

Landman,
I’m with you on the “earn” a buck comment. I have been a proponent of this for a long time now. Unit “L” is covered up with doe. Leave the 3-buck limit alone. If it was up to me ……. Take TWO doe for a second buck tag.

#3165842 - 02/16/13 07:41 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Frank G]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Frank G
Give one sound biological reason for a lower buck limit. How will it improve the health of the heard?

Health of the herd?

But do you thing the State of TN Deer are in better health than 10-15 years ago?

Landman,
I’m with you on the “earn” a buck comment. I have been a proponent of this for a long time now. Unit “L” is covered up with doe. Leave the 3-buck limit alone. If it was up to me ……. Take TWO doe for a second buck tag.
What would keep people from using the internet to check in doe that don't exist to get another buck tag?

#3165852 - 02/16/13 07:51 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Beekeeper]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Seems to me the only people who want a 2 buck limit are the people who are mad because they aren't shooting enough big bucks now and think that will mean if everyone else can kill less, they have a better chance.

What other reason are you people coming up with than that?

#3165864 - 02/16/13 08:00 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Beekeeper]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
 Originally Posted By: Frank G

Health of the herd?

Landman,
What would keep people from using the internet to check in doe that don't exist to get another buck tag?

Beekeeper,
You do have a point there. Sure it would no doubt happen, probably by the same few that “poach”. For the most part the vast majority would comply.

#3165890 - 02/16/13 08:22 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Frank G]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

I say leave well enough alone but with that said.......

Lets call a buck a buck if its got balls its a buck!

I shot 4 bucks last year one with 2" antlers and a button among them i thought they were does at the time but i think they should have counted and one antlered buck would have made it anoyher season

#3165898 - 02/16/13 08:26 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: -DRM-]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
Seems to me the only people who want a 2 buck limit are the people who are mad because they aren't shooting enough big bucks now and think that will mean if everyone else can kill less, they have a better chance.

What other reason are you people coming up with than that?
I agree. They think more deer will make up for their lack of skill.

Page 7 of 20 « First<56789>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (kldeerkiller, Rifle06, RAFI) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.