Page 6 of 20 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#3162956 - 02/13/13 07:16 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Hollar Hunter]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: Hollar Hunter
 Originally Posted By: Beardendy88
Why do some want a 2 buck limit? The only difference it will make is on wma's because many of those who own land and hunt (not all) will shot as many as they want. I personally only normally kill 2 a year and rarely kill a third but it's nice to have that in my pocket during late season.

Exactly people who will shoot 2 off the top because they've a 3rd tag would stop them from shooting that 2nd immature buck....
Whats it matter? Its my land not yours.

#3163067 - 02/13/13 08:15 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: timberjack86]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

I Glad I just said thanks what I heard

Lordly don't I haven't killed 3 bucks since you could kill 9 or 10

But, do watch...Feeders will be like crossbows one day....

I have have nothing against crossbows and there's enough feeders
out there anyway...

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3163071 - 02/13/13 08:19 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: timberjack86]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

I Glad I just said thanks what I heard

Lordly don't I haven't killed 3 bucks since you could kill 9 or 10

But, do watch...Feeders will be like crossbows one day....

I have have nothing against crossbows and there's enough feeders
out there anyway...

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3163226 - 02/13/13 09:41 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: stik]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
Wow, I heard they were going to 4 buck. Well one of us will be right, or we'll both be wrong.

That would be just stupid

stupid?? wow. how so?

i hope they leave it alone. 3 is perfect.

Stupid was a harsh word but what sense would it make to go up to 4? I'm ok with 3 but would prefer 2. At least in unit L where we have so many does to kill I just don't see the need to kill 3 or 4 bucks...

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3163240 - 02/13/13 09:51 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Bone Collector]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Why do some want a 2 buck limit? The only difference it will make is on wma's because many of those who own land and hunt (not all) will shot as many as they want. I personally only normally kill 2 a year and rarely kill a third but it's nice to have that in my pocket during late season.

Exactly people who will shoot 2 off the top because they've a 3rd tag would stop them from shooting that 2nd immature buck....

That is completely speculative. People who shoot "immature" bucks do so because they want to and because they don;t care about antlers and just want the meat. They also know you get as much meat off a 1.5 yr old buck as a 3 yr old doe and it doesn't taste any worse.

If they pass and wait for a doe, that opportunity may not come, but this one is here right now, so it pays to take the deer and not take the risk of not seeing a doe. Keep in mind not everyone has high deer densities where they hunt, even in Mid TN.

The guys like you that care about horns won't shoot the first immature buck so it comes down to choice and they should have that choice whether you agree or not.

I hunted Rutherford and Wilson counties this year. I saw lots of spikes and small bucks. I think I saw 10 does total from the stand from the bow opener to the last day. those 10 were seen on 3 separate sits in groups of 3, 4, and 3.

I can see your side of it and I've been blessed to hunt unit L all my life. I also know plenty of folks that will bust a forkhorn cause it has horns and they can brag and say i killed three bucks. So maybe it's something that should be different for each unit. I just don't see how there can be so many more young bucks to kill and not the same amount of does available. I don't just hunt for horns. I kill and eat plenty of does but I do enjoy the cat and mouse game of killing an old smart buck.

#3163254 - 02/13/13 10:06 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK

That is completely speculative. People who shoot "immature" bucks do so because they want to...

Exactly. And what is also speculative and NOT backed up by data is the idea that if we kill less yearlings, we will then kill more older bucks in following years. When TN went from an 11 buck limit down to a 2 buck limit in 1998, we experienced a HUGE decline in yearling bucks killed that year. As the theory goes, hunters should have then killed many more 2 1/2 year-old bucks the following year (1999). But that didn't happen at all. In fact, there was barely even a blip in increase in 2 1/2 year-old bucks killed the next year. In fact, ever since the decline in buck limit in 1998, hunters have been killing far fewer yearling bucks than they used to. Yet older buck harvests have just slowly increased over time, staying on the slow rate of increase that started long before the reduction in buck limit.

Well it's certainly daylight and dark difference from back than. If you killed a buck with 8 points in the 90's that was a giant. There's obviously more big bucks now than ever in TN but that don't make them dumber. A mature buck will always be hard to kill regardless of the population but at least there is a realistic chance at the opportunity of one these days. If the numbers show they've hardly increased over the years of mature buck killings what to you attribute the higher numbers of big bucks running around these days to?

#3163260 - 02/13/13 10:12 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Hollar Hunter]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

HH... ur trying to hard man. you know theres no need in talking bag limits on here lol
#3163264 - 02/13/13 10:15 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: timberjack86]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Originally Posted By: timberjack86

Whats it matter? Its my land not yours.

You have a right to kill what you want within the law on your land .
But the deer are not yours they travel off your land so your killing affects others is my point.

#3163272 - 02/13/13 10:22 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: nate17]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Originally Posted By: nate17
HH... ur trying to hard man. you know theres no need in talking bag limits on here lol

LOL
I know I just wanted to clarify myself. I've seen how much better its got over the last 15 years and I'm always striving to make things better. I won't comment on these topics ever again as this one was a first. I've got my own personal herd I get to manage and have seen the results i can acheive first hand so ill just stick to my piece of paradise....

#3163311 - 02/13/13 11:05 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Hollar Hunter]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: nate17

LOL
I know I just wanted to clarify myself. I've seen how much better its got over the last 15 years and I'm always striving to make things better. I won't comment on these topics ever again as this one was a first. I've got my own personal herd I get to manage and have seen the results i can acheive first hand so ill just stick to my piece of paradise....

I see your point completely. I don't but I do understand why people want a 3 buck limit and want to kill immature deer. while I would love for everyone to manage like we do that's just not realistic. I can understand why people kill them for meat, and some people are just extremely happy to kill a buck no matter how big or small. im like you we manage very strict, but if someone wants to kill 3 immauture deer right next to us well by all means go for it. I still don't think that going to 2 buck limit is going to change that much but I mean we will never know unless it changes. while I am young I can still see how much hunting has changed just in the past 5 years. but talking to my dad, paw paw, and uncle its crazy the change in just the 15 years. so I think that the twra has the best interest in the herd and in the hunters in setting the dates and the bag limit. I think the vast majority of the hunters are happy with the way the things are going.

Edited by deerhunter10 (02/13/13 11:06 PM)

Page 6 of 20 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
67 registered (feathersandfur2214, tbird13, jwater, biglefty20, Backstrapcrazy, easy45, 7 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
89016 Topics
1041283 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.235 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.