Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3162726 - 02/13/13 04:19 PM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Andy S.]
Uncle Jesse
4 Point

Loc: Estill Springs

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
If I really wanted to be sure, I would do a test to determine the density (mass per unit volume) of the shot in the shells you own. Reason I say this is because I talked with a Hevi-Shot rep few days back and he assured me the density was still 13g/cc in the Hevi-13 loads. I also asked this same question to another rep few years back and he too told me that they were 13g/cc. In the end, 12 versus 13 isn't that big of difference, just thought I would point this out.

I'd be surprised if anybody that works for EM knows the exact density of any of their shot. After all the Hevi Shot Duck drama, I'm not sure what to believe from them

#3163175 - 02/13/13 09:11 PM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Uncle Jesse]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Originally Posted By: Uncle Jesse
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.
If I really wanted to be sure, I would do a test to determine the density (mass per unit volume) of the shot in the shells you own. Reason I say this is because I talked with a Hevi-Shot rep few days back and he assured me the density was still 13g/cc in the Hevi-13 loads. I also asked this same question to another rep few years back and he too told me that they were 13g/cc. In the end, 12 versus 13 isn't that big of difference, just thought I would point this out.

I'd be surprised if anybody that works for EM knows the exact density of any of their shot. After all the Hevi Shot Duck drama, I'm not sure what to believe from them

I agree
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3163178 - 02/13/13 09:13 PM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Rockhound]
Rockhound
10 Point

The federal heavyweights are BAD out of my 10 ga.

Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3163249 - 02/13/13 10:02 PM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Rockhound]
Rockhound
10 Point

Id like to see a representative of a company that will tell you what you need to know not what you wanna hear

m highly doubting they ever handled any of the shot

#3163513 - 02/14/13 07:20 AM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Rockhound]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
Id like to see a representative of a company that will tell you what you need to know not what you wanna hear
While I agree with the logic in this statement as I know plenty of salesmen, the reps I spoke with were customer service reps, not sales reps pushing a product on me. I can assure you that I will believe the repeated consistent answer of a rep from any company before I will someone typing on a keyboard at home or the office, UNLESS the person typing can substantiate his or her claim with scientific testing that can be followed and understood, and furthermore duplicated to ensure accuracy and the same conclusion regardless how many times it is performed. I have asked three different EM reps this question over the last three years, partially in hopes of getting a different answer, and they have all told me the same answer. I am not saying they are telling the truth, but I would think I could trip at least one rep up and get a different answer at some point. Maybe I will keep trying. With that said, I will choose to believe them UNLESS someone can show me the facts that suggest/prove otherwise. Have you asked Hal how he determined Hevi-13 to be 12g/cc? I would really like to hear his answer. Again, not doubting him, just want to here the supporting information to this claim. It can be fun and very informative play devil's advocate. \:\)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3163612 - 02/14/13 08:46 AM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Andy S.]
Rockhound
10 Point

\:\) i wish all the dadgum post hadn't been deleted off the no-longer there loading section on old gobbler it was there with pics and all. There were several threads were they had tested the shot by placing the shot in a vial and seeing how much it displaced the water, and whatever from there. I was at a guys house Saturday that was talking about a jug of hevi-13 he had bought but he was cheated because it only measured 12/g

#3163621 - 02/14/13 08:50 AM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Rockhound]
Rockhound
10 Point

I just posted over on the place we talked about the other day maybe they still have the thread info

#3163722 - 02/14/13 10:07 AM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Rockhound]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Good deal Rock. I just emailed Hal with that specific question and am now awaiting his reply. I will post up his response when I receive it.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3163737 - 02/14/13 10:22 AM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Well, if I get a "round tuit", will be pretty easy for me to conclude for myself whether Hevi-13 is heavier (or not) than Winchester Xtendeds. I have both in #6 shot, so I presume if I counted out say 100 pellets of each, then weigh them on my powder scale, will be pretty obvious whether they're of the same weight or if the Hevi-13 is heavier?

Don't think I can do an "apples-to-apples" weight test on the Mag Blends, but anyone see any reason why simply weighing 100 pellets of #6's from each brand wouldn't be conclusive as whether Hevi-13 is the same or heavier than Win. Xtendeds?

#3163754 - 02/14/13 10:46 AM Re: Xtended range or Hevi-shot mag blend? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Well, if I get a "round tuit", will be pretty easy for me to conclude for myself whether Hevi-13 is heavier (or not) than Winchester Xtendeds. I have both in #6 shot, so I presume if I counted out say 100 pellets of each, then weigh them on my powder scale, will be pretty obvious whether they're of the same weight or if the Hevi-13 is heavier?

Don't think I can do an "apples-to-apples" weight test on the Mag Blends, but anyone see any reason why simply weighing 100 pellets of #6's from each brand wouldn't be conclusive as whether Hevi-13 is the same or heavier than Win. Xtendeds?

If you cut one open you will see a reason, your hevi load of straight "6's" will contain shot sizes ranging from 2 to 8 most likely

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
31 registered (Mudbone, feldmutze, huntintn, ZachMarkus, BlackBelt, Snake, 3 invisible) and 82 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88081 Topics
1031781 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.