BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: landman
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
Give one sound biological reason for a lower buck limit. How will it improve the health of the heard?

Health of the herd?

So If the herd is better this way why are we seeing more out breaks
of EHD in TN, this was 2 out of the last 5.

Hemorrhagic Disease (HD) is endemic in the Southeast. Some cases occur every year. Big outbreaks generally only occur when the conditions are just right (few deer with immunity and a hot/dry late summer). HD also has absolutely nothing to do with herd health. It strikes under-populated and over-populated herds equally.

In TN, we've had only one major HD outbreak in the last 6 years (2007). However, southern IL, which supposedly has much healthier deer herds, has seen two outbreaks in the same time-frame. Again, HD outbreaks have nothing to do with herd health.

Quote:
But do you thing the State of TN Deer are in better health than 10-15 years ago?

Yes, absolutely, but primarily because of the '07 HD outbreak. I was becoming deeply concerned about over-population in some parts of western TN, but the HD outbreak in '07 (which knocked the population down to healthier levels), followed by continued high doe harvests (which prevented the herd from rebounding to the unhealthy pre-HD-outbreak levels) has produced a healthier herd than what we had in '05 and '06.

We had it again this year in parts of Montgomery and Stewart Counties.

Which was only the southern edge of the huge outbreak centered in MO and IL last year, due to the extreme heat and severe drought the Midwest experienced.

Quote:
But Isn't most of those Mid-West states deer herd numbers on the rise?

That's a good question. There is some evidence the Midwest's deer densities are declining.

Quote:
Seems to me lower overall deer numbers means less die,
more food, etc. meaning more does need killing. I would be curious how many hunters killed bucks, but didn't shoot a doe.

The food-density realtionship you refer to is accurate, although it isn't so much deer dying of malnutrition related causes. The biggest symptom of over-population is greatly reduced fawn production. In essence, less healthy does produce fewer fawns, which slows herd growth.

Quote:
Its like feeding deer, we will see that in the future I'm sure, too much money behind it....

That has already happened in the Deep South. The use of feeders in some Deep South locations, especially in central and southern AL, caused massively over-populated and underfed deer herds.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3162298 - 02/13/13 10:33 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Bone Collector]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
Wow, I heard they were going to 4 buck. Well one of us will be right, or we'll both be wrong.
I heard that unit L was going to one buck and the rest of the state was going to 4 either sex any time any weapon.

#3162318 - 02/13/13 10:51 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Beekeeper]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

I heard that we were going to only be able to kill those 2 bucks during spear season..... Only one spear per hunter and the blade had to be made out of stone..... \:\)

Here's the best place I have found to purchase a spear...

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/native-american-spear.html

Edited by gator-n-buck (02/13/13 10:58 AM)

#3162380 - 02/13/13 11:59 AM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: landman]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
Give one sound biological reason for a lower buck limit. How will it improve the health of the heard?

Health of the herd?

So If the herd is better this way why are we seeing more out breaks
of EHD in TN, this was 2 out of the last 5.

But do you thing the State of TN Deer are in better health than 10-15 years ago?

I don't care if they go to 1 or better yet, earn a buck tag, kill
a doe before you can kill every buck, sounds good to me

Yes, health of the herd....autocorrect got me.

So are you still thinging of an answer? If you THINK of one, let me know.

#3162434 - 02/13/13 12:51 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: Diehard Hunter]
fourwheeler431
14 Point

Loc: Powell

I'm just glad to have the opportunity to hunt deer. I don't know anything thing about the biological end of management,but if we have trained biologists that say a 3 buck limit is best,who am I to argue with them about it. I would like more opportunity to harvest does here in unit B, but again if TWRA biologists feel it would negatively affect the heard as a whole I have no problem with it.

#3162451 - 02/13/13 01:03 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: fourwheeler431]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Originally Posted By: fourwheeler431
I'm just glad to have the opportunity to hunt deer. I don't know anything thing about the biological end of management,but if we have trained biologists that say a 3 buck limit is best,who am I to argue with them about it. I would like more opportunity to harvest does here in unit B, but again if TWRA biologists feel it would negatively affect the heard as a whole I have no problem with it.
I

X2..... Must be the water in Powell...... \:\)

#3162461 - 02/13/13 01:08 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: fourwheeler431]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

content Online
I would like more opportunity to harvest does here in unit B, but again if TWRA biologists feel it would negatively affect the heard as a whole I have no problem with it.

I'm with you there. I just hope TWRA is keeping a close eye on Unit B. What you're suggesting would definitely help take the bullseye of the back of anything "antlered" that walks through the woods with a lot of folks I know.

#3162470 - 02/13/13 01:17 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: fourwheeler431]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I don't know anything thing about the biological end of management,but if we have trained biologists that say a 3 buck limit is best,who am I to argue with them about it.

I don't want to speak for the trained biologists that actually make the rules, but I suspect they would say that it isn't necessarily about a 3 buck limit being "best" biologically. It is that they believe a 3 buck limit provides the most hunting and harvest opportunity for hunters without doing harm to the resource. Good wildlife management is often a balancing act between what is best biologically versus what hunters (the actual managers of the resource) want. Quite often, that means giving the hunters/managers the maximum harvest opportunities that do no harm instead of setting rules that might maximize biological potential.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3162697 - 02/13/13 03:56 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: BlountArrow]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
I would like more opportunity to harvest does here in unit B, but again if TWRA biologists feel it would negatively affect the heard as a whole I have no problem with it.

I'm with you there. I just hope TWRA is keeping a close eye on Unit B. What you're suggesting would definitely help take the bullseye of the back of anything "antlered" that walks through the woods with a lot of folks I know.

I thought this past season they changed the # of does that can be killed in archery from 2 to 4? If so then I think we are already seeing some changes in Unit B.

#3162915 - 02/13/13 06:45 PM Re: Change In Hunting Reg's? [Re: landman]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Heard they were going to 2 Bucks this year
cool.I hope you mean 2 bucks per day.this one buck a day is for the birds.sometime 2 spikes come in together

Page 5 of 20 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Reaper40, mtalerico, Chevy454, winchester77jj, greysquirrel
13259 Registered Users
Who's Online
152 registered (Mr.Bro, double browtine, TN hunter, kknights27, Jcalder, Daniel n, 12 invisible) and 219 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13259 Members
42 Forums
92809 Topics
1084361 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.129 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.