Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3162166 - 02/13/13 08:52 AM Buck sink?
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

So we all have heard how a property can become a doe sink, but is it possible for it to become a buck sink?

The past few seasons on my farm we have seen more bucks than does. This year we killed 7 bucks and one doe on the farm. Well I just pulled some camera cards for a basic post season survey and I probably have about 20 different bucks using these sites and only about 10 does counting female fawns.

Being in unit L I know some of the neighbors may be targeting a bunch of does but my farm and adjacent lease should be large enough to not be affected by their harvest numbers. I guess this is a good problem to have but I am a little worried about the doe numbers.

#3162173 - 02/13/13 08:57 AM Re: Buck sink? [Re: Bayou Buck]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
So we all have heard how a property can become a doe sink, but is it possible for it to become a buck sink?

The past few seasons on my farm we have seen more bucks than does. This year we killed 7 bucks and one doe on the farm. Well I just pulled some camera cards for a basic post season survey and I probably have about 20 different bucks using these sites and only about 10 does counting female fawns.

Being in unit L I know some of the neighbors may be targeting a bunch of does but my farm and adjacent lease should be large enough to not be affected by their harvest numbers. I guess this is a good problem to have but I am a little worried about the doe numbers.

Yes, it is very possible. In fact, my property has become that as well. You did the right thing by not shooting many does this year. What I would watch carefully is your fawn recruitment rate. Usually, properties that become buck sinks have a few common traits, and one of them is low fawn production/survival.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3162193 - 02/13/13 09:09 AM Re: Buck sink? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

In fact, here's my property's calculated deer population over the last 10 years. We've been running more bucks than does every since the '07 EHD outbreak, and the disparity between the sexes has been increasing over time.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3162200 - 02/13/13 09:15 AM Re: Buck sink? [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Thanks for the info BSK. I have noticed a huge population boom in Perry county over the last two years of both bucks and does but for some reason its only bucks in my area. It could be because of the amount of cover on my farm and adjacent lease. It will be interesting to see if when fawning begins, the does come back and run off some of these bucks. My property adjoins 1200 acres of over mature hardwoods so I should have the best fawning habitat on my place.
#3162296 - 02/13/13 10:31 AM Re: Buck sink? [Re: Bayou Buck]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

I think my place is just the opposite ,it seems all the doe in the area come out on my end to fawn.
Then a drastic change happens just before the rut....I caught like a dozen different Bucks ...some at the same licking branch.
And very few doe unless a buck was pestering it.
But now it is taking that doe swing again.The other night I had to stop just before I got home ,about 15 deer came out running some behind me some in front .I was waiting for one to jump in the truck.I work second shift so this was about midnight.
We have had a 2 year no acorn crop this has to hurt the mortality rate through the cold months.

#3162427 - 02/13/13 12:45 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: Good time Charlie]
BSK
Non-Typical

Good time Charlie,

It is fairly common for the best habitat in any area to be dominated by fawn-rearing does during the summer months. This is the one time deer are truly territorial, and during this time does with their newborn fawns are dominant over bucks, with those does chasing the bucks out of the best areas and forcing them into the poorest habitat. However, once fawn-rearing time is over (just about the same time as buck bachelor groups break up in late summer), both sexes filter back into the same good-habitat areas.

#3162524 - 02/13/13 01:59 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Hmm,Id like to turn my place into a Buck sink.Have way more does than bucks.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3162551 - 02/13/13 02:18 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Hmm,Id like to turn my place into a Buck sink.Have way more does than bucks.
ditto, or at least at this time of year. From bow season thru post rut there are bucks, and rubs everywhere. Now my trail cam only gets does. Maybe the horns are in there but I just haven't got any pics yet. Oh well I do like does and love sticking em with arrows. And I'd rather have pics of does than no deer at all. Been a lot of fawns too, population is in good shape, maybe not sex ratio but like I said the bucks come in after the does during the rut.

#3162770 - 02/13/13 05:05 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: catman529]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have said for many years that when you have prominent buck sink, the mature bucks often eat the fawns. It is called sharkisis prominentsik deerasoris.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3162809 - 02/13/13 05:38 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: bowriter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I have said for many years that when you have prominent buck sink, the mature bucks often eat the fawns. It is called sharkisis prominentsik deerasoris.

Daaaannnng. So that's where all my fawns are going....

#3162822 - 02/13/13 05:45 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: bowriter]
brmaster
6 Point

Loc: TN, Shelbyville

I saw a lot of doe and fawn on my place and place behind me
then about OCtober most all went away from site only seeing them occasionally, During bow season saw a few doe with fawns and few without fawns,,,,Then during Muzzel load, I was out on the average of 3 days a week hunting, only saw couple does
during gun, didnt see much of anything for the most part, then toward end of season started seeing more movement,
so where did they all go, I have 7 acres, place I was hunting has 80 plus acres,

#3163326 - 02/13/13 11:56 PM Re: Buck sink? [Re: brmaster]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

brmaster.
They are there you just do not see them after dark.
One good thing you lean about trail cams ...when the bucks are pressured they go nocturnal.And that is not much pressure.
Sometimes I think they are just accustomed to going nocturnal at this time of year.
I would much rather see plenty of Doe right now then buck..on my place.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (riverfisher, Thicketmaster, Bigmonts, REN, GoldenEagle09, Jcalder, 8 invisible) and 169 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88130 Topics
1032411 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.257 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.