Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3161927 - 02/12/13 11:23 PM RV / Camping site for work crew NE of Memphis?
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

My church has run out of options for affordable places to meet now that our discounted rent opportunity is drying up. We've been offered a great deal on a little tract of land in Arlington. Although I'm not crazy about moving out of town (current location is in central Bartlett), that's the only thing we can afford. We've had a gracious offer extended to us for a rotating crew of volunteer workers to come help us build a church over the coming summer (starting in June). It would be teams of 20-50 people each week over a period of ~ 2 months.

I've been tasked with helping find spots for them to sleep that are:
A) reasonably close to the work site to maximize efficiency and use of their time and,
B) cost-effective (they are already volunteering, so paying for a week of hotel rooms is something we are trying to help them avoid)

So far, I've only found a few decent prospects that are within a 30-minute drive:
An RV park on Canada Road called "Memphis East Campground", and the Agricenter, which has RV hook-ups. I've also found 2 retreat-type centers - the St. Columba Episcopal Center on Billy Maher Rd and "The Grove at Red Oak Lake" (formerly Camp Cordova).

Any of you travel-savvy people know of places that are relatively close to the Arlington area that they could stay?

The crews will be a hodgepodge of tradesmen from regional churches, so they will be staying in smaller groups. I don't require one facility to hold every single person. Some folks coming in will want RV spots, others might tent camp, others will be looking for beds. Someone else is in charge of hotel arrangements, so I don't need those unless you have some sort of special recommendation or deal you could help me with.

My main concern is keeping costs down and minimizing drive time so that we can get the most out of these generous volunteers. Any help or info would be appreciated \:\)

#3162760 - 02/13/13 04:56 PM Re: RV / Camping site for work crew NE of Memphis? [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

There's a KOA campground just south of I-40 on Canada Road (Exit 20). It's in a respectable area, accessible to grocery stores, (2) drug stores, and tons of restaurants. Canada Road is the next exit west of Arlington, and should be your easiest access point to the 24/25 Exit to Arlington.

#3162761 - 02/13/13 04:58 PM Re: RV / Camping site for work crew NE of Memphis? [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

The Agricenter is also in a respectable part of town, but it's a HEADACHE of a 3-5 mile drive to the interstate. Either option will probably suit folks just fine, although the Agricenter will add probably 20 minutes to the drive to Arlington.

BamaProud works at the Agricenter.

#3164400 - 02/14/13 08:55 PM Re: RV / Camping site for work crew NE of Memphis? [Re: TAFKAP]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Thanks for the recommendations. Supposedly that campground - "Memphis East Campground" - is no longer run by KOA. It seems like the only remotely close place, unfortunately.

If one of these retreat centers I've emailed will work out, that wouldn't be too bad either.

#3164476 - 02/14/13 10:05 PM Re: RV / Camping site for work crew NE of Memphis? [Re: Crosshairy]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

Check out the campgrounds at Shelby Forrest as well.

#3164825 - 02/15/13 09:59 AM Re: RV / Camping site for work crew NE of Memphis? [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
Thanks for the recommendations. Supposedly that campground - "Memphis East Campground" - is no longer run by KOA. It seems like the only remotely close place, unfortunately.

If one of these retreat centers I've emailed will work out, that wouldn't be too bad either.

It's been about 15 years, but there's a Baptist retreat center somewhere between Memphis and Millington. It's not "close" to Arlington, but probaby a straight shot on the north 385 leg.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Kyle Coulahan, Mathews_Killer, jrbookingtn, pb10point, TEXAS
13535 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (Kimberman, DaveB, Nacho, bigtex, randy, cbpedigo21, 13 invisible) and 159 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13535 Members
42 Forums
99165 Topics
1166188 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.