Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3154788 - 02/07/13 09:15 AM Re: Heirloom Seeds...Where to find??? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Yes squash,punkins and other cubits can cross pollinate.Grow a hot pepper to close to a Bell pepper and they will cross into a hotbell pepper. one big reason I grow Heirlooms is to save seeds.Keep them in a separate garden or a good distance away from other cubits to avoid problems when saving and swapping seed.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/articles/2006/curbits.shtml
you can hand pollinate cucurbits easily and then cover the blooms and mark them so you remember which ones to save seed from. I've never heard of a squash crossing with a cuke or melon or other cucurbit. I think they have to be closely related like zucchini and yellow squash or different cultivars like Connecticut field pumpkin and sugar pumpkins. I've never heard of bells and hot peppers crossing but it makes perfect sense. Just cover the blooms with some kind of mesh before they open, make sure the mesh is fine enough to keep out other pollen, and the flowers self pollinate inside the mesh without contamination

#3154850 - 02/07/13 10:16 AM Re: Heirloom Seeds...Where to find??? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Yes squash,punkins and other cubits can cross pollinate.Grow a hot pepper to close to a Bell pepper and they will cross into a hotbell pepper. one big reason I grow Heirlooms is to save seeds.Keep them in a separate garden or a good distance away from other cubits to avoid problems when saving and swapping seed.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/articles/2006/curbits.shtml

This is true, but you won't see the effects of cross-pollination unless you save seeds from the hybrid and grow them out. For example hot and bell peppers do cross, but the peppers from that year will be normal (hot peppers from the hot pepper plants, bell peppers from the bell pepper plants). Grow out the seeds you saved from the crossed peppers and you will get an unstable hybrid that you won't know the characteristics of until you get fruit (peppers).

Also, squash, pumpkins and many but not all varieties of gourds will certainly cross pollinate each other. I've got some pretty weird looking results from volunteer plants that I let grow in my garden once after I planted some gourds and yellow squash too close together the previous year.

#3155851 - 02/08/13 07:38 AM Re: Heirloom Seeds...Where to find??? [Re: woodchuckc]
bigjohn
4 Point

Loc: tn

Baker Creek Heirloom seeds best place with largest selection been ordering from them for years
#3156637 - 02/08/13 06:47 PM Re: Heirloom Seeds...Where to find??? [Re: BlountArrow]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
Great info. This is what I'm looking for. I had heard of certain gourds cross pollinating with others, and I knew I had to be careful with that. I've heard they can actually be poisonous but that the taste is so rancid you wouldn't eat it (don't know if there is truth to that). Is there any good literature, books, etc out there that I could buy that would help me gain more knowledge that you would recommend. Man, if I had only gotten interested earlier or if my papaw had only lived a few more years...what a wealth of knowledge he would have been on this subject for me to go to.

http://mastergardener.tennessee.edu/index_about_county.html

I learned a lot from the Master Gardener program.Most counties have them these days. U.T. has a good program in place .
http://mastergardener.tennessee.edu/
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3161318 - 02/12/13 03:47 PM Re: Heirloom Seeds...Where to find??? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

^^^^ Me too.

#3161567 - 02/12/13 06:59 PM Re: Heirloom Seeds...Where to find??? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

baker creek is the only way to go

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TeamTndeer, Cuttin Caller, Unicam, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (Smokyrider, Bradleyb, larasea, ImThere, trm, Eric Kilby, 1 invisible) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95975 Topics
1123861 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.