Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3159900 - 02/11/13 02:49 PM Re: Would you? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Old hickory Tn

content Online
Anybody with children would if that was the ONLY option. If ever that was the ONLY option I would not feel a bit of remorse.

#3161108 - 02/12/13 01:06 PM Re: Would you? [Re: bowriter]
bowtechgump
Spike

Loc: Maury Co.,Tennessee

No there is always some form of wild food you can legally get your hands on....if you have the proper licence. It may not be that nice rabbit, deer or squirrel it may be crow or possum. But you being broke does not lessen the value of God's creation. Eat a fish, or better yet talk to your Church they will gladly give you food. If not I am sure some of your brothers and sisters on this sight will gladly open the cabinet. Look at hunters for the hungry proof every day!
#3161144 - 02/12/13 01:35 PM Re: Would you? [Re: bowtechgump]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

I would just mention on tndeer that I was having hard times. I've seen the members on here help lots of needy folks in a heartbeat. \:\)

#3161254 - 02/12/13 03:03 PM Re: Would you? [Re: BigD_625]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I don't know exactly why some animals & birds were elevated to "game" status while others are just considered lowly pests, but some of the "pests" may be just as edible as the "game".

Here's a publication that covers ways of catching various species, some of which are non-protected species, some are highly protected, and some are "game".

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/pb1624.pdf

Pigeon doesn't taste that much different than dove, and I bet the common English sparrow would make some delicious "bird poppers". Or how about a nice beaver for breakfast? Season open year round.

And although the season's not open year round, I'd bet the common crow tastes as good or better than any duck.

#3161286 - 02/12/13 03:23 PM Re: Would you? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

On a very serious note, if it should ever come to needing to break a law in order to prevent starving, it might be more feasible to trap critters than to be out hunting with a gun. And if things got that bad, you might be needing to save your ammo to defend what little food you catch, have, or find.

Carp and other "trash" fish could also be a good option for food.

#3161311 - 02/12/13 03:42 PM Re: Would you? [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowtechgump
Spike

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
On a very serious note, if it should ever come to needing to break a law in order to prevent starving, it might be more feasible to trap critters than to be out hunting with a gun. And if things got that bad, you might be needing to save your ammo to defend what little food you catch, have, or find.

Carp and other "trash" fish could also be a good option for food.

don't forget catfish also in most instances. Also my older family members ate sucker fish, and a turtle eats very well as do frogs.

#3161366 - 02/12/13 04:31 PM Re: Would you? [Re: bowtechgump]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I remember my Grandfather wanting to share with us various aspects of how they survived during the Great Depression. And yep, they ate a lot of fish, although most was "hogged" or trapped rather than caught on a fishing line. We once had a "possum" dinner, so, yes, I've already eaten possum.

Back in his day, many of the people who were illegally hunting game, such as waterfowl and quail, sold it to the more financially wealthy. The money obtained from selling it would buy a lot more other food rather than just eating what was killed.

#3161651 - 02/12/13 07:44 PM Re: Would you? [Re: BigD_625]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: BigD_625
I would just mention on tndeer that I was having hard times. I've seen the members on here help lots of needy folks in a heartbeat. \:\)
This^^^

Genesis 27:3

#3163493 - 02/14/13 07:00 AM Re: Would you? [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowtechgump
Spike

I remember my Grandfather wanting to share with us various aspects of how they survived during the Great Depression. And yep, they ate a lot of fish, although most was "hogged" or trapped rather than caught on a fishing line. We once had a "possum" dinner, so, yes, I've already eaten possum.

Back in his day, many of the people who were illegally hunting game, such as waterfowl and quail, sold it to the more financially wealthy. The money obtained from selling it would buy a lot more other food rather than just eating what was killed.

Selling wild game is also an illegal activity. Many people rob for food, whether it be robbing another man or nature it is still done by a thief. No matter the reason.

#3163667 - 02/14/13 09:20 AM Re: Would you? [Re: bowtechgump]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: bowtechgump

Selling wild game is also an illegal activity. Many people rob for food, whether it be robbing another man or nature it is still done by a thief. No matter the reason.

I wouldn't say you are robbing from nature, hunting seasons are put in place by man, not god or nature. Would you be poaching, yes, but killing to eat is not a crime against nature, as a matter of fact it is nature at its purest form.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
134 registered (edtcase, Vermin93, BuckDropper, Dan24, dralarms, doubledownranch, 15 invisible) and 187 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95806 Topics
1121724 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.