Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3160960 - 02/12/13 11:10 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Hollar Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Hollar Hunter
If you got a pressure washer or access to one you could help that process along a great deal!
yeah I have heard of that for doing euros. but I want to be careful with the nose bones, don't want to break em. the nose has "melted" onto the bones and I want it to rot its way off... also I had to pry the skull off the spine, so the spinal cord and brain are still intact. rather let the bugs go to work for a while, than have rotted brains sprayed all over me. \:D

...since last deer season

#3160987 - 02/12/13 11:30 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: catman529]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
If you got a pressure washer or access to one you could help that process along a great deal!
yeah I have heard of that for doing euros. but I want to be careful with the nose bones, don't want to break em. the nose has "melted" onto the bones and I want it to rot its way off... also I had to pry the skull off the spine, so the spinal cord and brain are still intact. rather let the bugs go to work for a while, than have rotted brains sprayed all over me. \:D

Where's the fun in that? \:D

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3160992 - 02/12/13 11:32 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Hollar Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: catman529

Where's the fun in that? \:D
the insects will have a LOT of fun for me. \:D

...since last deer season

#3161020 - 02/12/13 11:52 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: Mudbone]
geezer
6 Point

Loc: To the right of the mississipp...

Originally Posted By: Mudbone
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
If you dont like the B%c system,why use it?Or why bother?
the kid just can't do right by you can he?

I was thinking the same....

#3162006 - 02/13/13 06:32 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: geezer]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

A 150 inch grossing buck (free ranging public land) is a buck that most of us will never even see, let alone kill. And this includes ALL hunters all over America.

Amazes me how many times people throw out the 150 inch mark like it is a common thing.

And in Tennessee, a 150 inch buck is truly an exception.

Catman, that is a BEAUTY!!!
I can't wait to see your finished mount.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3162129 - 02/13/13 08:35 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: 102
A 150 inch grossing buck (free ranging public land) is a buck that most of us will never even see, let alone kill. And this includes ALL hunters all over America.

I would definitely agree with that, at least for hunters in the Southeast (south of KY). Most will never see with their own eyes while hunting a 150+ gross buck. Now on trail-camera (at night) or way off in some soybean field in summer, maybe.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3162874 - 02/13/13 06:22 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: 102]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Amazes me how many times people throw out the 150 inch mark like it is a common thing.

And in Tennessee, a 150 inch buck is truly an exception.

Catman, that is a BEAUTY!!!
I can't wait to see your finished mount.
Very true. Most wont see a 140 gross, much less 150. Well stated!

#3163388 - 02/14/13 05:04 AM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: tickweed]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

BSK,
I wish I were more adept at this computer posting images thing. I have hours and hours of raw video of deer. I even have a MONSTER 200 inch category buck...at a distance, in a bean field, in the late summer. In velvet. He is probably the largest live buck I have ever seen.

He was just North of Ky.

In 30 plus years of bowhunting in the SE, I have seen exactly ONE buck that gross scored over 150 (we all know where that buck is now).

As soon as I ventured North of Ky., where average antler class per age grew, things got better for antler score.

And still, on PUBLIC land, 150's are very rare!

So I have concluded, in MOST cases, that antler size has nothing to do with hunter skill or ability level. NOTHING!

It has EVERYTHING to do with a hunters geographic location.

While this does sound a little harsh, the exception is when you have a hunter who is consistently killing older age class bucks carrying large antlers (per that geographic area) no matter where they hunt.

And in order to do this, for all but the wealthiest of us, this usually means public land as few could afford to hunt privately owned land for yearly hunts in multiple states (locations).

And to do this on public land in multiple states, (which is what more of us could afford) consistently, year after year (or every other) is extremely difficult.

(Wouldn't you agree Winchester???)
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3164078 - 02/14/13 03:40 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

So I have concluded, in MOST cases, that antler size has nothing to do with hunter skill or ability level. NOTHING!

It has EVERYTHING to do with a hunters geographic location.

Completely agree with you 102. In fact, I know of one general location in TN where seeing 150+ (or very close to it) bucks in late summer beanfields is not that uncommon. But besided that one general location, seeing a 150+ anywhere in TN is pretty darn rare.

These images (poor quality due to being stripped from very long-range video) or from the area of Tn I mentioned above. I don't know what the guy on the right scores, but he's a stud. I've seen quite a few bucks of this size in this one area:

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3164188 - 02/14/13 05:35 PM Re: 26 inches in deductions.... [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I see quite a few 140's in the basin every year driving around looking at bucks during the summer waiting on season but there certainly is a BIG BIG drop off when you start talking about 150+ bucks. I do believe that spot above has seen a lot of development in the past few years. Does it still hold them like it use to?

Edited by Hollar Hunter (02/14/13 05:47 PM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
81 registered (dmonty, duckriver, Hardwoodmaterials, RAFI, BuckDropper, LSUtigers, 12 invisible) and 122 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93141 Topics
1088663 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.121 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.