Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3157946 - 02/09/13 09:25 PM Peculiar Rabbit Hunt Today
Gut Bucket
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I hunted with a beagler with three dogs this morning on some property I lease for deer and turkey outside of Springfield in Robertson County. I hunted it last year with a different dog owner and we only jumped three rabbits, even though you would think it was covered in rabbits because of the ideal habitat. But, like many areas in middle TN, the coyotes (and hawkes) are keeping populations down.

We decided to hunt fence rolls and walked for what seemed miles. When we came to one end, we jumped a couple that were almost to a blacktop road and close to a house. We then went to the back side and worked our way over and up the fence line. We only jumped one there. As we neared the end of the property that was adjacent to another house, we jumped one and it ran to a large island thicket and junk pile in the back of the owners home. The dogs, of course, followed the bunny in. We stayed on our side of the fence since I didn't know the owner and it was obvious they were home. After a couple of minutes the dogs jumped the rabbit out of the thickets and it ran towards the house. About this time the owner stepped out of the house and motioned us to come on over. We did and the guy said we were welcome to hunt this big brush pile in his back yard. As we were talking the dogs had chased the rabbit right at us. The guy said shoot it if I wanted so I did. He said that brushpile is always loaded with rabbits.Long story short, we ended up getting six rabbits out of this one location right in the middle of this guys backyard. Our theory about rabbits located in areas with lots of coyotes is-- we think the smart bunnies are actually staying closer to the roads and houses instead of being deeper in the woods. The coyotes are possibly more reluctant to get as close to these human areas. May or may not be the case but it was certainly true for this particular situation.

Teddy Roosevelt

#3158082 - 02/09/13 10:51 PM Re: Peculiar Rabbit Hunt Today [Re: Gut Bucket]
guthooked
4 Point

Loc: Gibbs

Logic seems sound enough.

#3158578 - 02/10/13 12:44 PM Re: Peculiar Rabbit Hunt Today [Re: guthooked]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

feral cats kill more rabbits than yotes and hawks combined

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3159884 - 02/11/13 02:22 PM Re: Peculiar Rabbit Hunt Today [Re: stik]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

i always have better luck close to homes, barns etc..I dont believe house cats kill more rabbits than hawks, coyotes, fox, bobcats.Most thickets close to a house is loaded with rabbits.

Edited by turkeyhunter (02/11/13 02:22 PM)

#3159979 - 02/11/13 04:29 PM Re: Peculiar Rabbit Hunt Today [Re: turkeyhunter]
Gut Bucket
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I have three different places I hunt which total over 1500 acres and I always have trail cameras out. I have plenty of pics of coyotes peeing on my mineral licks; a few with coyotes walking by with a rabbit in their mouth--not one pic with a feral cat. I would assume the wild cats do more rabbit hunting near homes and towns.

Teddy Roosevelt

#3161097 - 02/12/13 12:53 PM Re: Peculiar Rabbit Hunt Today [Re: Gut Bucket]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Very interesting.

Congrats on meeting a friendly landowner - that was a miniature gold mine!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (ruger7mag, Marion deer hunter, TNDeerGuy, Poleaxe, OldFart, Master Chief, 3 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85727 Topics
1035988 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.217 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.