Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3158736 - 02/10/13 02:46 PM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: woodsman87]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Think of a comparison between a round lead muzzleloader ball vs. a conical muzzleloader bullet. Which one penetrates better?

Maybe those irregular lumps of metal may not fly as accurately as a perfectly round ball, but maybe they're still able to stay within a certain circle and penetrate even more than round ones?

All I know is their #7 pellets will sometimes go all the way thru a turkey's breast, seemingly just as much as #5 copper-plated lead. Can only imagine how much more penetration could be had with TSS.

#3158762 - 02/10/13 03:11 PM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Wes Parrish]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

There shape would cause less penetration due to irregular surface area.

Im not saying they arent good because i have flat out wacked some turkeys with them. Im just posting for guys who have never seen it.

If this shot was round it would most likely pattern more uniform due to less flyers .

The round ball vs conical ml bullet would not be a good comparison, where as they would be travelling out of a rifled barrel designed to make that projectile shoot straight. That's not the case with the shotgun. You have muzzle blast, bore pressure pushing through the shot and wind resistance pushing against it causing the shot to disperse. The simple weight and hardness of the shot is what makes it penetrate and pattern due to less deformation and pattern spread the lighter shot is subject to.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3159266 - 02/10/13 10:03 PM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Rockhound]
Layne
4 Point

Loc: Eads TN

I just hope they don't change the shape cause it patterns great... maybe those odd shaped pellets have some "physics principle" for the way they fly?
I would think the round shot would act kind of like a knuckle ball since there is really no spin imparted on them as they are released...

#3159295 - 02/10/13 10:45 PM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Layne]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Layne
I just hope they don't change the shape cause it patterns great... maybe those odd shaped pellets have some "physics principle" for the way they fly?
I would think the round shot would act kind of like a knuckle ball since there is really no spin imparted on them as they are released...

Lol the only reason they are the shape they are is because of lack of quality control and no one is griping about it, and truly there is no reason to gripe about it as they are deadly, but no a perfect round pellet would fly straighter and with less flyers as the odd shapes are way more affected by choke constriction and air than a round ball would be.

What alot of people dont understand is that lead shot would pattern neck to neck with hevi if it did not deform on initial shot, forcing cone, and choke constriction. The.only setback would be wind resistance but it would be close
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3159304 - 02/10/13 10:56 PM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Rockhound]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: Rockhound

Lol the only reason they are the shape they are is because of lack of quality control and no one is griping about it, and truly there is no reason to gripe about it as they are deadly, but no a perfect round pellet would fly straighter and with less flyers as the odd shapes are way more affected by choke constriction and air than a round ball would be.

What alot of people dont understand is that lead shot would pattern neck to neck with hevi if it did not deform on initial shot, forcing cone, and choke constriction. The.only setback would be wind resistance but it would be close

If that's the case why do Hevis outpattern XR's? XR's are perfectly round and I get 100 more hits in a 10 inch circle with hevi 6s vs. xr 6s.

#3159327 - 02/10/13 11:39 PM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: woodsman87]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

I quit shooting hevis for this reason. I dont so much care that they aren't round, but i expect a 6 shot shell to be full of 6 shot pellets. I cut one open and they had everything from 2 size shot to smaller than 9 shot (with more of the really small pellets than anything else). The patterns i got looked great, and if it was actually 6s it would be, but probably 1/4 of those holes i was counting were smaller than i like to shoot dove hunting. Thats probably the reason the hevi shot appears better than the XRs. The xrs don't have a hundred 10-shot pellets driving up the hit count.
#3159346 - 02/11/13 03:19 AM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Spurhunter]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
 Originally Posted By: Rockhound

If that's the case why do Hevis outpattern XR's? XR's are perfectly round and I get 100 more hits in a 10 inch circle with hevi 6s vs. xr 6s.

The hevi shot most are shooting are bigger payloads than the same size shell in the xtended range for one thing, plus all the smaller size shot that are in the pellets some of the shot in this shell were probably #7s. The xtended range 3" 1/3/4 #6 pattern neck to neck with the 3" hevi #6 1-3/4.

It also has alot to do with the wad and stuff, like i said i aint no expert just thought i would post to show. It could be better (not that it needs to be) the shot dize difference is what really aggravates me.

#3159365 - 02/11/13 05:47 AM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Spurhunter]
Uncle Jesse
4 Point

Loc: Estill Springs

Hard to believe that at $5+ a shell they can't do better, but hey, the proof is in the pudding: Great patterns and stone cold killers!

I'm thinking that's why they didn't go the extra step to make them round, trying to keep cost as low as possible. And since they patterned so well it didn't justify the extra cost of making them round.

I bought some 3.5s the first spring they came out. It was around $21 for a box of 10. Now days, that sounds cheap

#3159428 - 02/11/13 07:43 AM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Uncle Jesse]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Uncle Jesse
Hard to believe that at $5+ a shell they can't do better, but hey, the proof is in the pudding: Great patterns and stone cold killers!

I'm thinking that's why they didn't go the extra step to make them round, trying to keep cost as low as possible. And since they patterned so well it didn't justify the extra cost of making them round.

I bought some 3.5s the first spring they came out. It was around $21 for a box of 10. Now days, that sounds cheap

Yea i still have a few 3" mags that i gave 25 for a box of 10 man i wishi had bought more

#3159447 - 02/11/13 07:58 AM Re: for the hevi shot guys [Re: Rockhound]
Rockhound
10 Point

I wouldn't see where it would cost more to drop round shot than it would this stuff

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
50 registered (infoman jr., Food Plot 101, spur necklace 3, TAFKAP, ruger7mag, VolHunter22, 3 invisible) and 110 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89101 Topics
1042106 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.46 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.