Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3159074 - 02/10/13 07:35 PM Clearing rock
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I have some open areas on my land that I want to put some clover in. the problem is there is a lot of rocks. Not big ones, but lots of little ones. I sent off my soil sample, but I need to clear those dang rocks. I do not have a tractor, dozer, or ATV nor do i have the funds to get any of those machines.

I do have a truck though and i was told if i could aquire a box spring and gut it to the springs i could pull that and it would clear it. I can't box spring though (for free)

If i put some fence the kind that is squares down, weigh it down, and drag it behind my truck will it clear the top layer of rock and what not?

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3159080 - 02/10/13 07:40 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: Bone Collector]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

IMO,if you have so little rock that pulling an old set of box springs would clear it,I wouldnt worry about it.Cant imagine it doing much.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3159087 - 02/10/13 07:46 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: Football Hunter]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
IMO,if you have so little rock that pulling an old set of box springs would clear it,I wouldnt worry about it.Cant imagine it doing much.

no there is a ton of rocks, just small sized, not boulders

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3159100 - 02/10/13 07:52 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: Bone Collector]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

I pull a rock rake behind a small tractor and it works good. My place is in Rockvale so you imagine how many rocks. I can get clover to grow pretty good. Ive got 2 small areas with wheat growing that still have a lot of rock showing. I pile them up to direct water off the field.
#3159106 - 02/10/13 07:56 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: jar]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Originally Posted By: jar
I pull a rock rake behind a small tractor and it works good. My place is in Rockvale so you imagine how many rocks. I can get clover to grow pretty good. Ive got 2 small areas with wheat growing that still have a lot of rock showing. I pile them up to direct water off the field.

yeah i don't have a tractor though? can you get a rock rake and pull it behind a truck? I wouldn't think so, but worth a try.

did you have to put Lime down?

General James Mattis

#3159497 - 02/11/13 08:40 AM Re: Clearing rock [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

As long as there is soil between those small rocks, I wouldn't spend the effort trying to get rid of them. Besides, frost-heaving will just bring more to the surface. I've seen clovers grow in a near gravel environment.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3159840 - 02/11/13 01:44 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: BSK]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
As long as there is soil between those small rocks, I wouldn't spend the effort trying to get rid of them. Besides, frost-heaving will just bring more to the surface. I've seen clovers grow in a near gravel environment.

that is what it looks like a gravel parking lot.

General James Mattis

#3159853 - 02/11/13 01:55 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector

We've got plenty of ridge-top plots that look like that. We aren't going to be growing soybeans or corn in those plots, but cool-season annuals will do fine. And if those plots stay shaded much of the afternoon, you can grow perennial clovers in them in summer.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3159906 - 02/11/13 02:57 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: BSK]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector

We've got plenty of ridge-top plots that look like that. We aren't going to be growing soybeans or corn in those plots, but cool-season annuals will do fine. And if those plots stay shaded much of the afternoon, you can grow perennial clovers in them in summer.

do you have to put Lime down, or do you just throw the seed? this is high clay content dirt. i doubt it will be shaded in the summer, but i want to plant something if the clover does not last.

General James Mattis

#3160001 - 02/11/13 05:01 PM Re: Clearing rock [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Non-Typical

Have the soil tested. Those type of plot soils are often highly acidic.

I've quit trying to grow summer crops in those cherty ridge-top plots. I just plant cool season annuals (in August or September) that will last as long into spring/summer as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (buckaroo, bgrooms, bucks2beards outdoor, TnBob, WGK, TW, 2 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85656 Topics
1035073 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.248 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.