Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3162671 - 02/13/13 03:23 PM Re: crow [Re: jb3]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: jb3
I work with two Czech guys and carp is Christmas dinner. Typically they are kept in a filtered tank for a week or two prior, probably similar to lobsters at Publix.
or crawfish, thy pretty much have to be purged. Mud bugs is a fitting name. Good with Cajun seasonings though

...since last deer season

#3163635 - 02/14/13 09:00 AM Re: crow [Re: catman529]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

content Online
Haven't had the opportunity to try crow, but I would without hesitation.

As for carp, I've eaten it several times, and it was just fine, a good generic freshwater fish as mentioned before. Yes, the bones aren't a lot of fun, and are integrated into the flesh quite a bit as they fork and branch.

As for purging them, I tend to toss that into the same category as folks who believe venison is edible only when you soak it in water until it stops pinking it, or any other number of processes by which folks drain all of the flavor out of something. A carp is God's ultimate food fish. It is the hardiest fish out there. It will be the last fish alive in polluted or diminishing waters. And you "purge" the pollutants by cutting them out with the lateral strip of red meat.

Always has bothered me to see people killing them wholesale and them leaving them to rot. Abuse of a resource.

#3163683 - 02/14/13 09:37 AM Re: crow [Re: Nimrod777]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Nimrod777
Haven't had the opportunity to try crow, but I would without hesitation.

As for carp, I've eaten it several times, and it was just fine, a good generic freshwater fish as mentioned before. Yes, the bones aren't a lot of fun, and are integrated into the flesh quite a bit as they fork and branch.

As for purging them, I tend to toss that into the same category as folks who believe venison is edible only when you soak it in water until it stops pinking it, or any other number of processes by which folks drain all of the flavor out of something. A carp is God's ultimate food fish. It is the hardiest fish out there. It will be the last fish alive in polluted or diminishing waters. And you "purge" the pollutants by cutting them out with the lateral strip of red meat.

Always has bothered me to see people killing them wholesale and them leaving them to rot. Abuse of a resource.
I wouldn't purge a carp, they don't eat garbage like people think they do. Crawfish and turtles eat rotted stuff on the bottom and I would purge em. Actually I'd rather just throw the turtles back in the water lol.

You'll never see me leave a carp on the bank to rot. I always release them but maybe someday I will be curious enough to bring one home.

#3163695 - 02/14/13 09:44 AM Re: crow [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I would try carp if someone prepared and offered, but by no means am I going to try and catch them and eat them myself, the same with crows.

What about buffalo? Anybody ever eat them? And im not talking about a bison lol.

#3163758 - 02/14/13 10:48 AM Re: crow [Re: woodsman87]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I would try carp if someone prepared and offered, but by no means am I going to try and catch them and eat them myself, the same with crows.

What about buffalo? Anybody ever eat them? And im not talking about a bison lol.
buffalo are supposedly good eating minus the bones and are the #1 commercial fish in the US. Hard to catch on rod and reel and I haven't tasted any myself, but being in the sucker family they should be good, I hear regular suckers are good too.

#3164865 - 02/15/13 10:37 AM Re: crow [Re: woodsman87]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

It's a delicacy, mostly in the black community.

Edited by TAFKAP (02/15/13 10:37 AM)

#3165351 - 02/15/13 05:40 PM Re: crow [Re: TAFKAP]
Benelli 4 Life
4 Point

Loc: Bledsoe Co. TN

A friend of my dad's was raised pretty rough back in the day as they ate almost anything. He said that a robin redbreast was as good as a dove. A crow was better than a duck. A hawk or owl was really good because they had white meat like a chicken or turkey. Coons,groundhogs, and possums were all good but a fox or bobcat neither one was fit to eat. I asked him if he had ever eat a coyote but he said there werent no coyotes when he was younger.

#3165705 - 02/16/13 12:11 AM Re: crow [Re: Benelli 4 Life]
chunkandwind
8 Point

Loc: mckenzie,tn

Carp is fine. Just a generic white fish taste. Cut the blood line out. Buffalo isn't bad either. I have had Buffalo ribs several times. There is a in IL on the river that serves them and they are great. Also make fish cakes with them and carp. They pressure cook them then pick the meat. Then make them like Salmon patties.

Keep calm and brew beer.
Grow Organic! I can show you how.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (firedog, devo1980, Mudbone, stryker, jw0312, scott co htr, 6 invisible) and 103 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91563 Topics
1070352 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.